Which ports on Alaska ?

May 16th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Which ports on Alaska ?

Hi,
We will be taking cruise to Alaska and that gives us options to get down on ports of Juneau and/or skagway and/or Ketchikan. We love beautiful landscapes. So along with cruise experience, we would like to drive around, if we have one day of halt at that port. I am trying to see, what port will give me better option. In past, we have seen Anchorage, Seward, Denali and those places are amazingly beautiful. But I am not able to get same idea on these ports.
If I have to choose cruise, based on which one will give me longer time at ports, what would you suggest ?
Thanks
May 16th, 2019, 02:33 PM

I would say Skagway. In my experience, the longest docking time of the 3 you mentioned. We rode the train last time; this time we have rented a van for the family. Could also rent a car on your own. The scenery is magnificent.
May 16th, 2019, 04:44 PM

I would rent a car in Skagway (Avis is the only game in town) and drive up into the Yukon. The drive is spectacular and follows a slightly different route than the (expensive, touristy) train. Stop at the Carcross Desert (subarctic sand dunes) then carry on the Klondike Hwy to Emerald Lake (pretty) then continue a few miles to the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town. You'll probably have it to yourselves save for a large number of ground squirrels and marmots who will be very displeased with your trespassing. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/X6wnCbyWCGknPJaD8

Don't forget passports.

(Not my pictures)

Carcross Desert

Robinson Roadhouse

May 16th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

This is looking very nice. And hopefully I should be able to get back to Skagway by evening. Cruise will leave at 5 PM.
Thanks
May 16th, 2019, 06:37 PM

>>And hopefully I should be able to get back to Skagway by evening. Cruise will leave at 5 PM.<<

Be very careful there -- leaving at 5 PM means being ON board at about 30 mins before departure time (depending on the line and port) - since you'll have to deal with the rental car return (likely with several others from your ship and from vessels) I'd plan on being back in town by about 4PM, 4:15 at the latest. Avis is close to the docks.
May 16th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
>>And hopefully I should be able to get back to Skagway by evening. Cruise will leave at 5 PM.<<

Be very careful there -- leaving at 5 PM means being ON board at about 30 mins before departure time (depending on the line and port) - since you'll have to deal with the rental car return (likely with several others from your ship and from vessels) I'd plan on being back in town by about 4PM, 4:15 at the latest. Avis is close to the docks.
Sure, I will target for 4 PM. Hope 9 to 4 (7 hours) should be sufficient to go and come back and also, June is okay time for that road ?
May 17th, 2019, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by bsparks276 View Post
June is okay time for that road ?
Yes.