Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which park is better: Six Flags Washington DC or Kings Dominion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Allegra

Just wondering which park is better in terms of rides, variety of shows, cleanliness and overall the most fun. Will be in the DC area with kids have no car so we would be taking the Metro. Which is also most convenient? Thank you for any help!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Chris

IMO, Kings Dominion is bigger, more fun, better, cleaner, than Six Flags. My 13-year old son has been to both parks this summer and longs to go back to Kings Dominion the most. Given the distance to KD, that's not realistic, because ... Six Flags is technically "in the DC area" (though not accessible by metro, and a very expensive cab ride), meaning it's right on the DC Beltway; Kings Dominion is a 90 minute trip south of D.C. on I-95, halfway to Richmond. There may be shuttle buses to both parks from somewhere in DC; it would be worth accessing the parks' websites to see if that's so.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:11 AM
charlie

Kings Dominion definately. Six Flags near DC is a bad experience.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:31 AM
k

King's Dominion, without a doubt. Six Flags is passable in a pinch, but neither is going to be Metro accessible, like the previous poster said, so even if it means renting a car, King's Dominion will be worth it.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Cindy

I also prefer King's Dominion.

I had season passes to Six Flags last year, and the place struck me as dirty and a little spooky. At Six Flags, you pass through a metal detector and submit to a thorough search of your belongings to get in. I don't remember doing that two years ago in Kings Dominion. The "knucklehead" factor was much higher at Six Flags, i.e. they seem to have more people who did not know how to behave.

My trip to Kings' Dominion, on the other hand, was reasonably pleasant, considering that I was a chaperone for a bus load of kids ranging from 10-18. The kids all went their separate ways, and I didn't worry that anything awful would happen. The place seemed well-run and safe.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:51 AM
xxx

Oh how nice to know the place that I loved so much as a kid is still a great place.
From the day, Kings Dominion opened, I had a blast. My parents always chose to drive there over any place else ( of course, we did Disney World too, but from VA, that was only for long vacations).
Glad to hear nice news from so far away.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:18 AM
ilisa

I haven't been to Kings Dominion, but have been to Six Flags and hated it. As a previous poster said, you have to pass through a metal detector and have your bags searched. They searched my daughter's diaper bag! I found the staff there to be incompetent and as Cindy said, the "knucklehead" factor was very high. Don't even bother with it.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Marla

If you want to get to Kings Dominion during your DC trip, you'll have to rent a car...although I did see someplace that you could catch Amtrak from Union Station in DC to Ashland, VA, which is right outside Kings Dominion. May be slow and cost more than a rental car, but it's an option.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Allegra

Thank you for your responces. I thought for sure that Six Flags would be the popular park. I certainly am glad there is a Fodor site so we can find out info like this. Thank you again!