Reload this Page >

Which optional tours worthwhile?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 06:59 PM
Robbye

We are taking a cruise/tour with Cruisewest. I am interested in which optional excursions are worthwhile. We enjoy scenery and wildlife.

Our stops include Fairbanks, Anchorage, Denali, Juneau, Haines, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Also, if there are any places above for good shopping (not tourist junk), please advise. The books say ivory and jade are decent souvenirs.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 02:44 AM
JoAnn

Ketchikan-Totem Pole Village; Juneau--a helicopter ride to a glacier (we got a cheaper fare off ship than thru the ship); Skagway-The Train ride is NOT to be missed-scenery is outstanding! Denali, the very early bus ride into the park to see the wildlife and the mountains (pray for great weather); Fairbanks, the city tour was very good and we got to see the Pipeline; Anchorage, the city tour. Have a great time.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 02:45 AM
JoAnn

Ketchikan-Totem Pole Village; Juneau--a helicopter ride to a glacier (we got a cheaper fare off ship than thru the ship); Skagway-The Train ride is NOT to be missed-scenery is outstanding! Denali, the very early bus ride into the park to see the wildlife and the mountains (pray for great weather); Fairbanks, the city tour was very good and we got to see the Pipeline; Anchorage, the city tour. Have a great time.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 08:40 AM
L. Ansel

Scagway - The White Pass Railroad trip is wonderful. The price was the same on or off the ship. I believe there were only two runs per day, so if you want to go in the morning, don't wait too long to book.
Ketchikan - Be aware of the weather when booking seaplane tours. Ketchikan is very rainy and visibility can be near zero. When booking our tour privately, we were advised that it would not be worth it. Others from our ship that had pre-booked were still taken out and were very disappointed.
Talk to the locals. In many of your stops you will be able to see wildlife and scenery by simply walking to the edges of the towns.
Have a great time!

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 02:42 PM
Lantell Star

Anchorage is not a city you will want to plan much in, it is very run down.
Take the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks and definetly stop at Denali.
Juneau is a nice city but it rains alot.
Ketchikan is a nice city but there isn'tmuch in Skagway but the Yukon & White Pass Railroad which is a scenic day trip
enjoy and if you have any other questions E-mail me at [email protected]

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 03:32 AM
Jane

Skagway - the train ride is not to be missed. Juneau - we did a glacier helicopter ride, landing on a glacier. It was wonderful. Haines - I love this town. Once we did a nature trip where we were hunting for wildlife. The tour guides would set up telescopes whennever they spotted something. We saw bald eagles, mountain goats. Another time we took a jet boat tour on the lake. That was fun too. Ketchikan - we took a seaplane into Misty Fjords. It was a beautiful day and the scenery was incredible. The seaplane landed on a lake that was inaccessible by anything but the plane. I thought all tours we've taken in Alaska have been very good.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 06:56 PM
sandra engley

Juneau has many options, we did white water rafting at the foot of the glacier. The view was spectacular, a picnic lunch was provided. You definately know you are in Alaska.
Also flew over the glaciers, you can walk on them too.
Ketchikan, we visited Totem Bight park, learned the customs and storied behind the carvings on the totem poles. Very informative and enjoyable.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 02:46 PM
Peggy

Hi!!
My husband and I (early 40's) just returned from our Inside Passage Cruise on the Regal Princess. In Juneau we took a helicopter flight over the Juneau ice fields and landed on the Norris Glacier. The day after we were in port, a helicopter tour (different company) crashed, and all were lost. That is very sad, however, don't let it stop you from enjoying one of the most awesome, breathtaking sights that you could ever experience. I would go again in a flash. It most certainly was a once-in-a-lifetime memory for us. In Skagway we took a bus tour to the Yukon to a town called Carcross. The bus followed much the same path as the Train tour. The difference was that we were allowed to stop at many beautiful places along the way to get out and take pictures and enjoy the views. Either way, you will be in for some grand scenery. Our main advice?? Leave all your problems and worries at home and truely enjoy the most beautiful state in the Union. If you need more info, please e-mail me. Enjoy!!!

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 03:00 PM
Brooke

In Juneau we went on the white water rafting trip at the Glacier. It was fun and not too rough, but a few fun spots.
Our guide was very knowledgable about the wildlife and scenery of the area. Also while in Juneau we took the tram up the cliff by where the ships dock and there were tons of trails we could hike and get a wonderful view of the harbour and all around. The hikes go from beginner on up and you can also go with a guide or do it on your own. In order to have time to do both of these we took the afternoon raft trip - which was a good idea because the weather was a little warmer in the afternoon