Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which one island would you choose besides Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Carol

If you had to choose one island to visit (after a weeks visit to Oahu) in October, which would it be and why? I'm starting my research for a trip in October 2003 and would like your comments. I'm interested in sightseeing, beaches, and anything interesting to do.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Sally

Personally, I wouldn't stay in Oahu for a week, unless your somewhere besides Honolulu. I would choose Maui for a second Island if you want to be busy. Maui has a lot of tourist attractions, shopping, restaurants but also some quieter beaches. We love it so much we have a timeshare there ! Kauai was absolutely beautiful (best sunsets), but a little too quiet for my tastes. Never been to the big Island.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:32 AM
carol

I am flexible my schedule. I want a relaxing vacation too and I see no problem spending 7 nights on Waikiki with sightseeing in between. I’m sure there are lots to see and do on Oahu. Thanks for the information on Maui. What’s the weather like in October for these islands?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:49 AM
JMM

Maui - lots to do
Kaui - Beautiful but quiet
BI - Volcano National Park
I also second the comment on Oahu - a week there is too much
Me personally in order of perference I liked Kaui,BI,Maui but that is strictly my opinion - I like quiet islands with great beaches or spectacular natural features.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Susan

If you have the time, I don't think a week on Oahu is too much. We spend a week there just about every year. Do get out of Waikiki though. Do a search here and you'll pull up tons and tons of suggestions for Oahu. It is probably the best island on which to learn about Hawaiian history and culture. Don't spend the whole week at Bubba Gump's and luaus!

For a second island I'd say Kauai will give you the opposite experience as Oahu. Rain forests, seclusion. Enjoy!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Sarah

If you only have one week, Maui that amount of time is perfect for that island if you have two weeks Big Island. Main attraction for me on Big Island is the volcano when the flow is visible. Waipio Valley and city of refuge are also wonderful locations. I go to Kauai most frequently of five islands but only in summer

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:30 AM
carol

I will have 10-12 days in Hawaii. I've been doing some reading today on Maui and Kauai and both have a lot to offer!

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Monica

Hi Carol!

My husband Tony and I are going to be in Hawaii in October too! We're planning to meet Melissa and a few other fodorites in Honolulu, maybe on the 19th or 20th. Let me know your travel plans and if you're around, you are welcome to join the group. We'll either meet for lunch or brunch or dinner someplace.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Monica

Rats, just as I sent the email I saw "October 2003" as your travel time. Oh well. Have fun.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Suzy

We had ten days, and couldn't imagine traveling all that way, and being so close to a volcano, without going to see it.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Patti

Aloha, All the Islands are unique & different. I just posted about a new web site that the State put up ,type in hawaii.com
I am from here(Hawaii) check out the windward side of Oahu lots to see and the Koolau mountains are beautiful.The Polynesian Cultural Center is a good experience all is authentic.All of the Islands can fit in the Big Island.Hilo is the rainest place in the nation,beautiful orchids grow there.Akaka Falls is also a nice place to go. The Hamakua coast is a nice trip and you could stop in Waimea cool & green Hawaiian cowboy town with the famous Parker ranch.Kohala coast has beautiful hotels and Kona is a fun town dry and usually hot.The Volcano is quite a sight!Maui & Kauai are also favorites of mine.Nobody has mentioned Lanai, the real getaway very quiet and 2 wonderful hotels.Patti

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:42 PM
aaaaaaaaa

I loved Kaui. It was gorgeous & we found plenty to do. Although not alot of nite life. Loved the No Shore, but not sure how it is in Oct
Guess it all depends what you like

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Carol

Which island would you consider more expensive, Maui or Kauai? I think I'm leaning towards Kauai.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Nancy

Maui is more expensive than Kauai, but also is a little more trendy. It depends on your tastes, and what kind of entertainment, restaurants, etc. that you are looking for.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Karen

Carol

I think it is difficult to say whether Maui or Kauai is more expensive. Depends on where you stay as well as where you dine. Personally, I think Kauai is more expensive. There are not nearly as many restaurants as Maui and dining generally has traditionally been more costly for us on Kauai, however, it's apples and oranges. Also, there are more grocery stores on Maui and better prices in them. However, whichever you choose, you can do on a budget or a splurge.

For spectacular beauty and quiet, laid back atmosphere, Kauai wins, hands down, however, don't expect to find a lot of night life on Kauai, but the hiking, snorkeling and kayaking are wonderful - if you love activity. Kauai's North Shore is unbeatable for its incredibly awesome scenery as evidenced by the rugged Napali Coast, the tranquility of Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai awe inspiring views.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Paul

Check out Kahoolawe or Molokini if you like uncrowded beaches.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:00 AM
x

Isn't Molokini that little crescent shaped island that all the snorkel boats go to? How would anybody see the beach there?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Mike

Where is Kahoolawe?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:01 PM
jack

I like Niihau. Its quiet and not touristy.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Sarah

You can't go to Kahoolawe or Niihau.

You can see an exhibit in one of the Smithsonian building in Washington D.C at present. For those of you not familar, Kahoolawe housing sacred grounds was bombed by the U.S military for target practise for 20 years. Hawaiians organized and I believe created some kind of small encampment so the bombing stopped. The exhibit at the Smithsonian tracks the movement and the rehabilitation of Kahoolawe.

Now the bombing has been moved to the Makua valley on Oahu of all places. This is a gorgeous valley against the ocean with mountains as a back drop. I remember graves from residents here that I thought represented locals who perished in the second world war. I guess that makes no never mind to the U.S military. Oh apart from this being a little slice of heaven, Makua is set next to a the poorest area of Oahu. I guess this was how the military was able to bomb without much protest.

Understand the need (or I guess I can buy it) to target practise just don't understand why we cannot choose a place on the mainland that is desolate. Why do we need to destroy a small island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -