Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which of these 5 ski resorts should we choose?

Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me choose from these 5 resorts?

Big Sky, Breckenridge, Park City, Steamboat, or Telluride???

We're going for a week from Dec 27th 2008 to 3rd Jan, 2009.

There will be 12 of us (ages range from 5yrs to 65yrs). We have 1 beginner skier, 9 intermediate skiers or boarders, and 2 non-skiers/boarders.

The main things we're looking for are great snow conditions, little or no waiting in lines, and a nice town area with good shops, restaurants, and non-ski activities (for the 2 people who don't ski/board).

If you think of a resort not mentioned above, that would suit our needs, we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have

Lorna

Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:26 AM

Big Sky has no town to speak of.

I haven't been to Telluride. We like to ski for a week at a time, and Telluride is too small for us to enjoy for that long.

The advantage of either Park City or Breckenridge is that there are several ski areas within a short drive, so if conditions aren't idea earl in the season, you have options.

One additional comnsideration might be getting there. If you can fly non-stop to Salt Lake City, PC is only a 45 minute drive. Breck is about 2 hours from Denver, and Steamboat is about 25 minutes from Hayden, a small airport.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:37 AM

I second Breck or PC. Both have great towns, good bus systems and skiing for all abilities with multiple choices of areas and always seem to have snow although you will be there very early in the ski season so there's a possibility that some of the trails may not be open but unless you want to do bowls and back country, that shouldn't be an issue. PC is closer to the airport and not as high in altitude as Breck so I find the adjustment easier (I live at sea level). Look on vrbo or similar sites for multi bdrm houses or condos. Remember that school vacation weeks usually mean rates are at their peak. You'll love either place.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM

Crested Butte! Crested Butte has all the things you are wanting. The town is charming with an old Colorado feel, but with great restaurants and shops. The ski mountain usually has fantastic snow and never any lift lines. (well, at new year's you are going to have lift lines everywhere but CB's will be the shortest.) The moutain has just built a brand new lodge slopeslide that is supposed to be wonderful. They often run specials with lift tickets and such.
For your non-skiers there's a great Nordic track center, arts activities, a "spa" at the Club at Crested Butte.
The only caution is that Crested Butte is high. Be careful with your 65 year old to make sure he or she can handle the altitude and be able to breathe. So perhaps you should consider the altitude of all the places you are going and what kind of physical shape the 65 year old is in.

BTW to get to Crested Butte you fly to Gunnison. (GUC)
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM

Lorna,

If you have never taken a ski vacation during the Christmas holidays before, I can guarantee you WILL have lines everywhere.

I also agree with most of the comments from the posters above.

Better hurry and get your lodging booked NOW!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO MUCH for all your great advice. I'm going to offer up Breckenridge, Park City, and Crested Butte to the family and see what they think. I'm leaning towards Breckenridge, but will let the folks decide (re the altitude) as they are not in the best of health. We're hoping to book in the next 2 weeks. I can't wait!

P.S. I have never boarded at Christmas time (but it's the only time when everyone can go). Approx how long would the lines at Breck & PC be at this time?

THANKS!!!!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM

It may be too late, but might I suggest Durango CO? The town is the perfect size to entertain everyone in your group.

It has a variety of lodging and restaurants that are more reasonable and varied than other ski places ic CO.

The mountain itself offers a variety of trails and has had great snow this year.

It is very family friendly ski area and town. Forgive me if I offend; Durango does not have the "airs" of other places -- it is very down to earth with regular folks.

Telluride is a great mountain for skiers. DH skis there at least once a week. The town is quite small and at that time of the year; everything will be extra expensive [it is pretty pricey at other times]. A week would be too long there.

The wait time on lines - no one can really give you times. A lot depends on which lifts you are taking -- the ones to double black diamond area will not be nearly as busy as green and blues. I don't think you should focus on line time.

That is a very busy week, where ever you go you will more than likely find waits. Because of the way the holiday fall this year, that week may even be busier than Christmas week.

Deb
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM

Our family has spent several Christmas/New Years weeks at Vail and have never encountered long lines and the conditions have been perfect - deep snow and sunny warm temps during the day. The town and slopes are terrific. Breckenridge would be my second choice - a great western town atmosphere. Here's a good site for comparing ski resorts all over the world: http://www.onthensow.com. We usually find a place to rent by using VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals by Owner). Good luck with your trip planning.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM

Lorna,

As Deb says, lift lines vary greatly depending on day, time of day and popularity of the particular lift.

Remember, no boarding allowed at Deer Valley, but Park City Mtn Resort and the Canyons should keep you busy.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:04 PM

Lorna-I have not been to any area on your list except for Breckenridge. Have been there quite a bit as a nonskier with a family of skiers & recommend it. The nice thing is that you can walk to town from much of the lodging & there are quite a few shops. There is also a nice rec center. Went to Keystone last weekend & as a nonskier, it was not the best. We were in Breck last December right before Christmas & it was crowded. If you are eating out, make reservations before you go. We booked last minute through breckaccomodations.com & got a good deal but they may be helpful for you. Vrbo has quite a bit at Breckenridge, also.
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM

I vote for Park City. We just got back last week where we went with 30 neighborhood famiies of all ages and abilities. It was great. Plus there is a lot to do in the town. I don't find the crowds too big and there are lots of rentals. Plus the ease at getting to the slopes from SLC is great. Plus the non-skiers can go into SLC and tour the city.
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:52 AM

PC!

It has lots of terrain for all levels of skiiers. Plenty of groomed blues. A great ski school at DV. Plenty of accommodations, cute town, lots of restaurants. Keep in mind that DV doesn't allow boarders, but PC and the Canyons (also nearby) does.

It's also the easiest to get to, since it's a short drive from the SLC airport -- fewer weather-related delays/cancellations than Denver.
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:16 AM
mei

We did Christmas in Breckenridge about 5 years ago with a big group similar to yours. It was a alot of fun and the lift lines weren't bad....but, we were feeling the altitude a bit. Now that I've been to Park City a few times, I really prefer it there. So easy to get to, tons of ski options, great town.....I'd go there. We even went into Salt Lake to see the sites there and have dinner...interesting city.
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM

You really won't have lift lines at Big Sky. But you also won't have a town with shops or restaurants.

If you just want to ski and ski a lot, then Big Sky would be great.
Mar 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Yep, Christmas anywhere to ski will mean lift lines and high prices. Have skied Breck, Telluride, PC and Steamboat. For your trip would say Breck or Steamboat.
PC has overpriced lodging. Breck has LOTS of ski-in/out properties to choose from, houses, condos. Much easier with a crowd. Less expensive than the others mentioned I think.Lots of easy to walk to restaurants, all price ranges. Town is right next to ski resort. Not so in Steamboat, but that would still be 2nd choice for large family trip. I have heard Snow Mass is good too, but never been there. Also Breck is 1 & 1/2 hr drive from Denver airport, cheaper flights to Denver, faster travel.
Lots of wide open beginner runs at Breck too, but plenty of steeper stuff if that's what you like, very large mountain. Keystone & vail are within easy driving distance and use the same lift ticket system.
Telluride is my favorite of those mentioned, but harder to get to, steeper runs, smaller place.