Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

which NY guidebook would you pack in your suitcase?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at Borders today and bought 2 NY guidebooks for our trip in Sept . I bought Frommers and Fodor's 2010 NYC. I just started browsing through both books, and as I had expected they both do a good job covering the basics and the "must sees" in NY and both come with tear-out/fold out maps. I must say however, that I prefer the maps in the Frommers book. OTOH, Fodors had a decent section on WTC site and the background on the 9/11 attacks that surprisingly, Frommers just glossed over. I also find a slight difference in the restaurants and recommended hotels reviewed in each book.

If you were to take just 1 book with you, which one would that be? Do you have any NYC guidebooks that you particularly like? I also looked at the DK Eyewitness book but didn't buy it. The nice glossy paper and pictures are nice but I find it lacking in useful info for our needs. Ditto with TimeOut.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 06:12 AM

I have used Time Out in other cities and have a weekly subscription, so I surprised at your answer.

Gerry Frank is also OK and goes beyond the usual sites.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Aduchamp, you're probably referring to TimeOut magazine? The TimeOut NY guidebook I saw had many nice, color pictures on nice, thick paper but I didnt see too much detailed info (and no free foldout map)such as those in the Frommers and Fodors books. Of course, I didnt go through any of the books in great detail-I merely scanned the pages. I'll look into the Gerry Frank-I havent seen this guidebook ( or maybe just didnt notice). Thanks for the feedback.

Oh and quick question: your TimeOut weekly subscription, is this a free subscription like the What's On magazines?
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Time OUt magazine is very helpful. Also buy a Zagat's NYC dining guide.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:56 AM

Fodor's, of course!

But what's really helpful is a laptop computer and/or smart phone.

Restaurants change daily -- by the time guide books are published, they're out of date.

Also you'll want a laptop to puchase tickets, for the Empire State Building for example.

Bring your computer and iPhone/Blackberry.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:19 PM

Time Out Guides
No, I have the Time Out guide books that are specific for a number of European cities including Barcelona and London. They are usually pretty good on sights and the current life of the city.

Time Out Magazine
There are few cities that have weekly publications. I think they started in London. Sometimes they are annoying in their attempt to be uber hip. They spend little time and effort on the usual tourist areas, unless there is a special event or noteworthy restaurant and they are seven or eight levels above the usual free guides to cities. Tey have true restaurants reviews, not reviews because someone paid for an ad and they gave them a review, quid pro quo. And if I have one major complaint it is the thin line between reporting a trend and creating a trend. Otherwise it is as a complere guide to want is going on NY that week as there is.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your feedback. The laptop/iPhone is a great idea. I wasnt going to bring my laptop but having a change of heart there. As big a hassle as I find it to go through airport security with my laptop, might be worth bringing it with us if only to book shows and attractions and just to "look things up" - yelp and tripadvisor restaurant reviews in particular.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 02:10 PM

Yelp is a particularly awful site for advice. Usually on these Internet review sites half the people do not what they are talking about and there are many who are either hyping their restaurant or lying about their competition. Yelp is the worst, it has many people who know how to use a computer but do not know much else.