ocean front condo key west

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I are looking for an upscale condo on the ocean of key west. We are wanting a nice view, fairly quiet, and quaint. We like to read, walk, enjoy the surronding activities and eat good food while on vacation. Has anyone found a place that they fell in love with at Key West? If not on the ocean, would like something with charm.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Any waiting for your responses. We want something similar in the Sea Colony Beach for the month of January. Have you looked at VRBO. We have and the choices are over whelming.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Water views are really limited in Key West, as it's an island only 2 miles by 4 miles. As you might imagine, hotels have pretty much taken all the space on the water.

On the bay side of the island are the Galleon (timeshare), the Hyatt Resort and Marina (nice), the Pier House (nice resort), the Ocean Key Resort (very nice), and the Westin.

Across the bay are the Sunset Key Cottages, which are reached by a ferry at the Westin. Oprah Winfrey had a birthday party there some years ago, and rented all the cottages.

On the Atlantic side are the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina and Waldorf Astoria Reach. Both are newly renovated and nice.

Southernmost on the Beach is newly built and getting excellent reviews. Owned by the same group are La Mer and Dewey House - those two might be the closest thing to what you want.

Excluding waterfront are the Gardens Hotel and Marquesa Hotel. Both are beautful, and the Marquesa has a popular restaurant, too.

We stay at the Galleon, which is not upscale but is in a fabulous location on the water, and - being a timeshare - has a fully-equipped kitchen and washing machine and dryer.

If I were feeling a little more energetic, I'd include links to all these places, but they shouldn't be difficult to find.

We've been going to Key West for about 20 years and absolutely love it!
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Susan CS. You gave me lots of info. I looked at all the places mentioned, but after reading some of the reviews was a little worried. Of course, I do know there are some people that just can not be pleased. I looked at the time share and considered that heavily because my parents own several time shares. My husband and I have used their time share trades and some were good some were not so great. 20 years is a long time to go to Key West. I believe you have lots more info. I could gather from you. We are thinking of going the last of Sept. or first several weeks in Oct. Just found out that is the rainy season. Any comment? Or any other info. is appresciated. Thank you, Nancy
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM

I wouldn't give a second thought to it being the rainy season, because rains in Key West may be frequent but are normally short. We usually take small umbrellas or ponchos and seldom use either. Hurricane season is going on now and lasts until the end of November, but I wouldn't worry about that either. We go every year at the end of October for a couple of weeks and haven't had a problem with a hurricane yet.

Unless you want a very wild and crazy party time you should NOT go during Fantasy Fest (Key West's version of Mardi Gras), which is between October 22 and October 31 in 2010.

I'm not sure which hotel (or B&B) reviews you've read, because I seldom look at them in Key West. I do know the Galleon one isn't particularly good, and it probably shouldn't be. Of the properties on the water, it's probably the least updated, but we've been going there so long, it's like a comfortable old shoe for us.

Another timeshare I forgot to mention - that's also in a good area and on the water - is the Hyatt Sunset Harbor.

I know nothing whatsoever about the units, but have walked by lots of times and the exterior is very nice. Some units face the water, but most don't.

http://hyattsunsetharbor.hyatt.com/h...tels/index.jsp

By far, the prettiest timeshare is the Hyatt Windward Pointe, which unfortunately is in a lousy location near nothing but the airport.

http://www.vacationtimesharerentals....Pointe-Resort/

The beauty of Key West is that if you stay in a good location, everything you want to do will be within walking distance, including tourist activities, restaurants, sunset celebrations and water sports.

There is still another Hyatt timeshare - the Beach House - which is also in a very inconvenient location.

Another option that I have no information about, but is next to one of my favorite restaurants in Key West (Louie's Backyard) is Coconut Beach. Again, it looks great from the outside but there are lots of units without a water view...which I would definitely want.
http://www.coconutbeachresort.com/

I'm leaving town in a couple of days, but will be happy to help you while I can. Susan
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:33 PM

After looking at the Windward Pointe pictures, I realized that I failed to mention that though the timeshare is across the street from water, the water is shallow, reedy, and not swimmable.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Everything you are looking for (without the ocean view0 can be found in the Truman Annex section of Key West... there are several rentals of small condos and cottage homes in a wonderful neighborhood in Old Town... wonderful for walking, relaxing, many have small pools.. near the restaurants, attractions, and water, but gated...

They can be pricy, however you mentioned a longer term rental and that rate can be negotiated down... good luck
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I do think the Truman has many of the things we want except the ocean view. We wanted to get up in the morning and go out on the balcony and see the water. We also wanted the kitchen facilities and space. We sometimes get up at different times but do not want to go somewhere "else" to get away from the bedroom. Your condo sounds like the place.
We are not looking for pricey just nice, clean and a water view. Maybe shouldn't have all these wants and expect to get them in Key West. Don't know. One can get these things on the east coast, maybe not the keys.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 05:30 PM

Your disadvantage is that Key West is tiny, and waterfront property is limited. Like you, we love being on the water and can't imagine a trip to KW without it.

I agree with Gary that Truman Annex is a great place to stay, but we crave a water view, and it's not necessarily available in Truman Annex.

I wish you well with your decision!