Reload this Page >

Which New Orleans Restaurant - Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 04:58 AM
Scott H. Ford

I will be in New Orleans one afternoon and evening on March 12. Looking for new restaraunt to try, but don't want to be disappointed (don't get to NO very often). On previous trips, have eaten at Alex Patout's (thought it was excellent), Rienzi (disappointed in quality and quantity of food, as well as service), Galatoire's (had etouffe & shrimp appetizer that were nothing special), Crozier's (near the causeway in Metaire, good but lacked that extra something to make it great) and Antoine's (best meal I've ever had anywhere). Don't know much about these things, but based on what I've liked, and what I didn't, could someone help me out...what about Bayona, Arnaud's, Commander's Palace, Broussard's, or other? Thanks so much!

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 12:07 PM
Carol

I have been searching for a new restaurant myself...have been to most of
the restaurants you mentioned...Arnaud's, Commander's Palace,Broussard's, etc. I have not been to Bayona...I found their web page with their menu (http://www.bayona.com/) and have received various comments, through message boards and e-mail, all positive about the food, chef, and ambiance. I have also found various reviews, Zagat,Fodors, local papers, again all positive. I have decided to go there on my next trip...May, and I will know first hand if my research was correct. You can go to the various web pages of the restaurants you mentioned above and check out their menu....all are worth trying. Most people, however, seem to rate Commander's Palace the best with the
Garden Room to sit in...hope I was of some help..have a great time.

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 07:08 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Scott: As a Louisiana resident I think you need to raise your sights a bit--and if you book at Bayona you will be doing that. A friend from D.C. visited New Orleans last October and enlisted my advice and company and I can tell you that Bayona is one of the VERY best. Commander's Palace was my personal favorite. My friend's was the Grill Room in the Windsor Court--priciest of the lot. I can also personally recommend the Palace on Canal Street --another venue of the Brennan family (as is Command
ers). We also were told of Emeril's--but it was so crowded that they could offer us nothing but seating in the smoking section and that we declined. However,any of these should provide you with the variety you're looking for. Bon appetit! Joam

Old Feb 26th, 1998, 03:37 PM
Tom

I recommend Bayona highly. Susan Spicer is known for the best sweetbreads around, but the whole menu is superb. If its a pleasant day, I also recommend the G&E Courtyard Grill on Decatur St. in the Quarter. The oyster rockefeller soup is excellent (as well as the rest of the menu-except the roasted chickens which are a bit overcooked) and the courtyard is beautiful. I also truely enjoy Commanders Palace. The food is very good (tending to be more southern than the two above) and the service first rate (great lunch specials too). Avoid the Palace Cafe like the plague.

Old Feb 27th, 1998, 06:16 AM
Michael Shallies

Bayona is great as well as the other spots mentioned. The only other spot I would add for dinner even though it might be tough to get in to is Brigtsens-INCREDIBLE! I like the gourmet joints bot there are so many down home places that are wonderful also. If you think you might like to go that route for lunch I would highly reccommend Uglesich's. Casamento's, Praline Connection, Camellia Grill, and Mother's all come to mind. Uglesich's and Mother's call for cabs and call for stadning in line but the authentic food and experience can't be beat.