Which Marriott to stay at in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of us gals are going to NY end of April and wanted to know which one of the Marriotts is better to stay at as far as concerige floor, accessibility to shopping,cabs and restaurants and sites...
*Marriott East Side
*Marriott Marquis Times Square
*Marriott Residence Inn Times Square
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
GoTravel

Are you trying to use Marriott points? I would stay at The Ritz-Carlton Central Park South.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM

I personally like the Marriott Marquis. I've stayed there several times and have always found it an enjoyable experience. You can walk to Macy's on 34th street, to the many stores along 5th Avenue, and even to Bloomingdales on 59th and Lexington. There are numerous restaurants of all different price ranges in the area. You would be in the heart of Times Square so it would be very convenient for taking in a show. Enjoy your time with the gals!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Ike

If $$$ is no problem the suggestion of the RC Central Park is a good one. I just got back from NYC for 4 nights yesterday at The Ritz Carlton. The Park Lane next door is nice and has better rates. Also The Pierre and Sherry Netherland are nice. The Peninsula is a great hotel and St. Regis is as well. The Marriott Marquis is too big and too busy and not close to anything but BW.......The Plaza Athenee is another great hotel but it's a little out of the way......
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM

The Marriott Marquis is the nicest of this group. The Residence Inn is brand new.

What kind of shopping do you want to do (ie are we talking Macy's or Bergdorf's) and why only these 3 properties? There are more. How many of you are there and how many rooms will you get?

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not using points however we are Marriott gold members so I like to stay at Marriotts to accumulate points for other destinations. However, the Ritz does earn points too with Marriott I believe. I received a rate of $265 per night at the Marquis. Is the Ritz more than that? How about the Park Lane? As for shopping we want discount boutiques, knockoffs,etc, not traditional mass merchandising chains nor high end no price tag boutiques. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:42 AM

Well....you might then consider the Marriott Financial downtown. It's right near the WTC site, but it's pretty close to the Daddy of all discount shopping in NYC, Century 21. It's probably the nicest Marriott in the city. Other discount shopping can be found at Loehmann's (7th ave & 17th st), Orchard St. on the lower eastside, Daffy's (there's one in Soho). Knock off handbags on Canal St. in Chinatown. This downtown Marriott is REALLY the best idea for what you want to do.

The Marquis is smack in the middle of Times Square, great for a theater trip, but totally wrong, imo, for shopping.

The Ritz Carlton (divine) and the Park Lane are great for upscale shopping, but not so great for the discount places.

You could have a great time dining in Tribeca, Soho, the village.