Search

Which island to choose?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which island to choose?

Hello everyone!
we're starting making plans for the summer and we want to go somewhere completely different from the greek islands this year. (we're from Athens, Greece).
So, we're thinking of going to San Francisco, drive down to LA and then fly to Hawaii. But we have no idea what to expect from these islands and which one would suit us better.
We're going to make a very long and expensive trip so do you think Hawaii is worth it? Or should we consider French Polynesia instead?
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry i forgot to mention that we would like to see great scenery, great beaches with sand and also some nightlife would be a big plus! For travelling so far we would like to see something completely different than the greek islands. Thanks!!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Maui is a beautiful island.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Are you actually visiting LA, or just flying to Hawaii from there? It's a long drive from San Francisco -- about 6 hours -- and you can fly to Hawaii from SFO just as easily. Of course if you're visiting LA, that's all a moot point.

I've been to Big Island and Oahu and loved them both. Big Island has an active volcano, which is fun to explore. Oahu has city life, but also incredible mountains and beaches. However from what I've heard of Kauai, that might be the least similar to the Greek islands...it's very green, a hiker's paradise. I think that'll be our next Hawaiian destination.

That said, for a long trip, I would choose two Hawaiian islands rather than going further into the South Pacific. Hawaii is unlike anywhere else I've ever been...I couldn't recommend skipping it!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM

I am a Greek American, born in New York, and I would like to welcome you, in advance, to our country. While Hawaii is the 50th state to join the United States, it is very different from the rest, as it has its own culture with deep Polynesian roots. The native Hawaiians are understandably proud of their culture and are working very hard to preserve it in the face of enormous pressure from overdevelopment and from tourism.

That said, all the reasons why you are drawn to Hawaii are there: the lush vegetation, the gorgeous sandy beaches, the clear blue water, the waterfalls, the mountains, the volcanoes. You should try to see it all, if you can,. Either that, or pick one island and stay there the entire time and really absorb the atmosphere and get to know it.

Kauai is my favorite, but there's no night life to speak of., You have not said how old you are, but I think for a first-time visit, Maui probably offers more diversity and activities than the others.

French Polynesia is something very different. They say it is like Hawaii "used to be." It is much more expensive than Hawaii, and I think the best way to see all the islands is by cruise ship . . . a 7-day cruise on the Paul Gauguin, in particular. If you opt for a 10 or 11 day cruise, you can also go to the Cook Islands and the Tuomotus, and even the Marquesas. Fabulous. But maybe you should save that for another trip, and just fly directly there from Europe.Air France has frequent departures to the Society Islands.

I hope this helps!!

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM

More to see & do on Oahu thanb any other island:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com Free brochure

www.bigisland.org Free brochure

www.kauaidiscovery.com Free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM

My family and I stayed on the Big Island. It was a wonderful choice because there are like 4 different terrains all on the same Island. There is the soft hilly countryside, the lush rain forest, the dry volcanic territory, the frigid arctic temps on the mountain. BEAUTIFUL water and beaches with black, white and golden sand. An eclectic blend of landscapes. One of our favorite vacas yet.

It is truly a one stop island I'd recommend. Have fun!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:04 AM

French Polynesia instead? FP is farther (4100 miles) from LA than Hawaii (2500 miles). That's an extra three hours of flying each way. Lots of airlines fly to Hawaii, so you will likely get much better airfares. AFAIK for LAX-PPT you only have a choice of Air Tahiti Nui or Air New Zealand. You can fly nonstop from LAX to at least four of the Hawaiian Islands. When you go to FP you land on Tahiti but then have to transfer by boat or plane to another island. That would add to time and expense.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:08 AM

"...great scenery, great beaches with sand and also some nightlife"

then definitely hawaii over french polynesia. only nightlife on french polynesia is at papeete, on the island of tahiti itself, which doesn't have the fabulous beaches and lagoons like the other society islands (bora bora, moorea).

kauai and big island have the least nightlife but would be the most different from greek islands (less touristed, lush tropical terrain and numerous waterfalls)

oahu (outside of waikiki) and maui would fulfill all your desires with each having several great white/golden sand beaches.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!!
Now we're thinking of flying to San Francisco, stay there for 3-4 days then fly to Oahu for 5 days, then to Kauai (or Maui or Big Island) for another 4 days, then fly to LA and spend the last 3-4 days there before heading back home.
Do you think this is doable or we will have to rush a lot?
Also one more question.. how BIG these islands are? For example if you stay in Kauai in the north side, can you make a daytrip to the south of the island? Also, except Oahu which is the easiest choice what do you recomend as a second island to visit?
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM

well, you seem to help many fodorites plan their Greece vacations, so it's the least we can do to help you plan your visit to California and Hawaii.

kauai and oahu are two of the smaller islands and you can easily daytrip (both sightsee and relax) from one side of the island to the other. on maui, the road to hana is the most popular daytrip, but it's pretty much an all day event. on the big island, which is bigger than all the other islands combined, it's a very long day and evening to go from say kona to enjoy volcano national park (on the other side of the island).

although hard to compare in size and driving times, a fair comparison may be that oahu is about a third of the size of crete while the big island would be of similar overall size to crete
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM

For such a long journey and such a short amount of vacation time, I'd limit my time in LAX and SFO and spend more time in the islands. Just make the connection via London or Frankfurt. Driving from SFO to LAX is a vacation all by itself.

There is definitely great scenery, beaches and some nightlife in Maui. There is lush vegetation and plenty of water, things that a resident of Athens will appreciate.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM

hi christine, what time of year will you be in Hawaii? In August, there is a big Greek Festival at Ala Moana Beach park on Oahu. I know you said you wanted something different from Greece, but I'm suggesting it since it might be fun to meet the Greek community in Hawaii.

I agree with Odin, I'd probably spend less time in SF or LA--although it does seem like a good idea to break up the long trip on the way to & from Hawaii!

Visiting any other island from Oahu is fairly easy--the flights are like a bus ride, just 20-40 minutes! The longest part of island hopping is probably the whole security thing...that plus the flight time will tie up a few hours for you.

Oahu is the 3rd largest island and its perimeter is about 134 miles. Day trips are easily done. Dusty has a very comprehensive list, you'll need to digest it all while planning! What other kinds of activities are you looking for?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Oahu's a great choice. Rent a car, stay in one place (Waikiki for night life; Kailua for quiet beaches) and visit all over. Then fly to Maui (go to Lahaina and north). I'd skip the Big Island. The volcano fog (or "vog" as they call it) clouded up our entire week there and it was just hot and muggy. Our next HI trip will be to Kailua, which I hear is lush, but can be rainy. Enjoy!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM

TYPO: I meant Kauai, not Kailua, for our next visit! Sorry.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Kauai is not that large of an island and you can drive from the Northern area to the Southern area in about an hour or so. Last time we went to Kauai, we stayed in Princeville (North). We drove down to the Southern end for a day at the beach in Poipu. Kauai is a beautiful island and easy to get to various locations as long as you have a car.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Me and my family have been to most of the Islands and welll as the stewardess said to me getting off the plane in Kauai, "This island will ruin it for you because you will never want to go to any of them again" SHe was right, the Northshore is amazing and tropical. Go for it!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I think Maui and Kauai are the best islands. Oahu has Honolulu which is a big city - and the North Shore is beautiful too. But I would limit my time in Oahu and spend a few days in Maui. You can see Haleakala volcano, drive the road to Hana, and there are so many wonderful restaurants.

Kauai is much smaller and quieter. If is a very lush island filled with waterfalls and great natural beauty. The Big Island offers a live volcano and hopefully you can see lava spewing into the ocean.

I have not been to French Polynesia but I believe it is much quieter and more for honeymooners. I think there is much more to do in Hawaii.

I think a great itinerary with the days it looks like you have would be

2 days - San Fran
3 days - Oahu
5 days - Maui
4 days - Kauai
2 days - LA (if you must. I would make this one day honestly or even eliminate LA altogether)
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:29 PM

It just steams me when people pooh-pooh Oahu and say it's just a big city as if that's all we have to offer. Yes, there's city, there's country, and more.....

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34515901
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM

Melissa,

I said Honolulu is a big city and I did mention the North Shore is beautiful too.

It's definately not all Oahu has to offer - just giving christine a brief overview as a tourist. But in reality if you are a tourist most likely you will spend most of your time in Honolulu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -