which island should i pick?

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which island should i pick?

My boyfriend and I have decided that in lieu of Christmas gifts this year, we will be going on a trip to Hawaii together, and share the costs 50/50. I am a bit taken aback from all the information on the internet, and that is why I have come to this site, in hopes that one of you might steer me in the right direction in planning this adventure. Here is the bottom line; I am 30, he is 50. He does not like to swim, but he (and I) love being active during the day, while still being able to return to a peaceful place at night. We despise large crowds and traffic, but enjoy lots of attractions. This is not going to be a super cheesy romantic trip. We want to learn, relax, play and ultimately have an experience that we will remember forever. Oh, I forgot to mention, he is NOT the type to walk a lot or exert himself in anyway...so hiking will NOT be an option..snorkeling, maybe. FOOD IS IMPORTANT as well. Thank You ALL!!!!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

crap...i forgot to ask "WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT HAWAII?" and "IS IT TRUE THAT YOU ARE BETTER OFF IN A CONDO THAN HOTEL IN HAWAII?" Thank you in advance!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Condos are less expensive generally than Hotel rooms especially when you add in the fact that you can cook your own meals when you don't feel like spending big bucks to eat out. Good restaurants in Hawaii are expensive, of course there are also the usual fast food places.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Michaela, you don't mention budget or how long you'll be there, and there are so many options on the various islands you might be well served to brush up with a book or two. Over the years I've been on almost all the islands and done most of the touristy things and have now settled down with my favorite place, Kona Village Resort. I'm such a fan that to keep me thinking about the village I put up and maintain a website devoted to it: www.davidskvr.net . I invite you to take a look and see if it's something that would interest you. With 300+ pictures and 31 video clips it will answer most of your questions (and I think it's entertaining as well). Oh, and early December is low season because they fill up at Christmas.
David
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The Big Island. If $ is an issue, rent a condo.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Given everything you've said, I would recommend that you choose one of the hotels or condos listed on this website:

kaanapaliresort.com

This area of Maui offers a great balance between relaxation, great restaurants, and interesting sights to drive to.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM

You could go to just about any of the main islands, and find what you seeem to be looking for, as there is a good variety on each of them.
DW would say go to Maui, I am partial to Kauai, but it depends what you are keying on the most, e.g. Kauai has less entertainment, and is less "developed", with fewer people, and a more rugged environment. Then there is the Big Island, right up there with the rest.
Oahu is a lot more than just Waikiki and Honolulu. It might be a very good choice for first-timers, given its wide range of available activities, to really get you into feeling the aloha spirit, which makes Hawaii such a unique place..... and keeps so many of us coming back for more!
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Really any of the islands would be good to go to. I think Maui is the island that looks the most like what people think of (like the movies) when you say "Hawaii". I would stay somewhere near Lahaina, which gives you beautiful beaches, but also the town for a little bit of nightlife, restaurants, shops, galleries, shows. You can drive up Haleakala (crater) which is amazing for an activity that takes no exercise to see.

Personally I prefer a hotel room, I don't see the advantage of condos unless you are a family or you are staying a month and want a kitchen to cook your own meals.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Maui wil be a good choice.

Please get a guidebook and read about the options. There are many good guidebooks out there. Oddly enough, Fodors, who sponors this board, makes guidebooks.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM

I would recommend also investigating the east coast of Oahu. You get the activities of Oahu but a quieter setting. Try this online quiz that recommends an island based on the stuff you say is important:

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/best-hawaiian-island.aspx
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM

My husband and I really like the Big Island and Maui. The Kona coast on the Big Island has a lot to see. We recently stayed at the Hale Kona Kai Condominiums in Kona, just a short stroll from the shops and restaurants, but off the main road and with the waves beating on the lava below us. Hilo has waterfalls that are a short walk from the car parking and a Tsunami Museum, as well as access to the volcano and warm tide pools. Maui has nice beaches and a lot of snorkeling spots. There are also cruises of all sorts. We took a sunset cruise on a sailboat named Cinderella, as well as snorkeling tours. Kauai is more for those who want to get out and walk, hike, etc. The whales are in Hawaii Nov. through March, and I would recommend Maui for whale viewing from shore. There are lots of whale watching cruises going out also.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM

>>

I favor condos to hotels as much for the living room as the kitchen (I like having both!)
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM

I like a kitchen and lanai and a living room and a washer and dryer for a fraction of the cost of a hotel and room service.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never found a condo that was a "fraction" of the cost of the hotels I stay at in Hawaii. But then I stay in really cheap hotels.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Are the condos really beachfront....I get the impression that they aren't but are open to those options...as well hotels.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Another vote for Maui, however, I have to add my usual disclaimer - we own a timeshare on Kaanapali and have NOT been to any other islands. (Someday, though.)

Anyway, I second what montereybob and suze have said about Maui. The island is extremely diverse and you can find just about any kind of accommodation and type of activity that you're looking for. www.visitmaui.com is a good website to start with.

dunnbv - I don't know about other areas on other islands, but yes, on Kaanapali beach and other areas of Maui, many, many condos ARE right on the beach.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM

I would suggest to buy the guidebooks from the series "Revealed"- Maui Revealed, Oahu Revealed, etc
They are the best.
They have some reviews of the hotels along with their aerial pictures. You can also find them on their website.
This is on Maui http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

They have great info on other islands as well.

A good resource to search for condos is vrbo.com