which island is best for 1 year old child.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Kathleen

which island is best for 1 year old child.

We are looking for the best place to relax and spend all day snorkling. We want an oceanfront groundfloor condo/house, with instant access to the water. We do not need alot to do, just a private uncrowded beach. Can you help?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:49 PM
sss

Was telling a friend to do the same thing with her new baby but sister with children said it might not be so enjoyable. Sister is a mother of three these were the reasons she gave me.

Remember how much more mindful of the sun you might have to be with 1 year old. Remember often accommodation is not airconditioned on any of the islands when it is a condo.
We would stay in un-airconditioned lodging though as most islands are when you rent a condo. You and your baby might be confined here during mid day hours, breezes can die down in summer.

My favorite area is Hanalei North Shore you can rent right on the beach. Where ever you go be mindful of public camping and public access. It is the law every beach has public access paths but some homes are closer to these areas and groups can congregate keeping you up at night. Not every night not every beach but it happen to us twice on two different islands last summer. Camping no explanation here not the law and not a problem on most beaches, but inquire to be safe.

Good luck this is just what I found out hope your plan works out the way you want it to.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:39 PM
molly

I am tempted to respond "Never, Never Land", but fear that this might be a bit pessimistic. Try to remember that traveling with an infant will be a totally different experience than traveling with a more mature group, and you'll do fine. Maybe your baby will develop an early love of the water! I'm not familiar with the other islands, but I don't think that {assuming that you're asking about Hawaii} the Big Island would meet your needs, as it has few accommodations on the beach. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Beachcomber

For a l-year old child O'ahu would be your best bet. I know that as a child I was bored with the outer islands...nothing to do but sit in the sand and play on the beach! Tough life for a kid!! O'ahu has the Ala Moana Shopping Center, the zoo, the Diamond Head hike, Hanauma Bay, Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor, numerous botanical gardens, and very safe swimming spots for a l-year old at either Kuhio Beach or Sans Souci.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Susan

I agree with Beachcomber. Plus, it's easier go get to, and you don't have to do an extra flight from Oahu to the outer islands, no fun with a baby.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:58 PM
beachbum

whichever island mom is on! your child won't care about anything else!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:00 PM
duh

Gilligan's Island!