Reload this Page >

Help ladies - finding a dress in LA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Carri

I'm leaving this thursday for Los Angeles and need a cocktail-ish not black dress for a wedding - I figured I'd shop on friday. Any suggestions in Santa Monica, Hollywood? Beverly Hills? I'll be staying in Beverly Hills but I can drive for shopping! Any hidden places (not shopping malls)? Want to spend $100 to $350.

Thanks!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:00 AM
xxx

Sorry, but it is impossible. They only sell black dresses in Los Angeles. In fact there are only one or two dress shops there at all, and they only handle black dresses.

This ties as the dumbest question in the world!!! Just in case you never noticed different women have different tastes. Since you haven't indicated what your taste is, what size or age you are, or anything else about you, all you've really asked is where you can buy a dress -- there are probably thousands of answers and none of them will be valuable because you have not given us anything.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Amy

xxx: Keep your moronic comments to yourself.
Carri: If I could assist you, I would...but do not live in LA, sorry.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:17 AM
linda

Carri,
If I were you, I would check out second-hand clothing stores in the area. Best way to get quality for that kind of price. I did a search on google and found several. This is not a dumb question, BTW. That must have been some guy who only has to worry about wearing dark slacks and a sports coat. He probably wears checks with stripes.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:48 AM
A.M.

Try a Jessica McClintock(sp) Store. Would be within your budget.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Wendy

Try Ron Herman/Fred Segal. There's one on Melrose (Melrose and Crescent Hts) and one in BH (on Beverly Drive). Expensive, high-end designer duds and a few trendy dresses. Also in BH (along Beverly Drive and the parallel Rodeo) are other boutique shops, plus a Barneys. See www.rodeodrive.com for a list of stores.

Beverly Center is a mall, but it's not typical in that the shops can be pretty ritzy. Very good Macy's and Bloomie's. There's also a Betsey Johnson in there. Check out www.beverlycenter.com

Sunset Plaza (on Sunset Drive between La Cienega and Doheny.) A few boutiques like Nicole Miller and Tracey Ross that might have something you're looking for

Finally, since you have a car, you can drive along Melrose and Beverly Blvd (not Beverly Drive, which runs through BH) and stop in anywhere. Lots of womens clothing shops that are fun to look into and feature up-and-coming designers.

Hope this helps!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Tom

If you have a car, you might want to consider a drive over to the Burbank area where you can find some of the consignment stores that sell clothes used in the movies and soap operas. My wife has found a few very nice cocktail dresses via this method and at far less expensive than shopping in a generic department store.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:48 AM
shopaholic

I can't believe you'd leave this for the last minute! And if you are looking for NOT black, how will you know what shoes and bag to use? I suggest you pack a back up dress 'just in case'.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:55 AM
lagirl

Try some of the boutiques on Montana Ave. in Santa Monica.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Carri

Thanks for the help! (Except that xxx creep). Shopoholic - I do have that black dress! I was hoping to have some fun shopping in LA and thought I might get lucky and find something fabulous!

Thanks again.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Alisa

Non-black dresses are difficult to find in LA right now--unless you are looking for a cheeply made, flimsy piece of...

I think Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills has a nice selection. I know it a department store but they have a good buyer. Jessica McClintock is down the street, another good choice.

Here is a suggestion-I was a bridesmaid in a wedding recently. Bridal stores have some lovely dresses in all sorts of colors. I saw several that would be great as cocktail dresses if shortened. And you can pick different colors. Bridal Images is a store in Beverly Hills near Neiman Marcus and Jessica McClintock. A tip--find the dress you want and then find it online--much cheaper. May not help you at this late notice but for future reference...

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:52 AM
michele

Carri,
Good suggestions from many..If you don't want black, try Ruby Mae's on Melrose, almost across the street from Fred Segal/Ron Herman. She is the "anti-black". Very feminine styles..lots of silk prints. There's also Polkadot and Moonbeams ( both a vintage shop and a modern shop)and Ethel on Third Street a little bit east of the Beverly Center --not your black dress sort of shops. You also might get lucky at Eduardo Lucero on Beverly Blvd. Most of his work is couture ( but reasonable for couture) , however he does have samples for sale. If you want to break the bank, Richard Tyler has a shop on Beverly Blvd, too.(gorgeous). Both of these are a little west of LaBrea and east of Martel. Not far from the Beverly Center area.Don't see any reason to go to Burbank or too far out of your neighborhood.

M.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:12 AM
AlwaysABridesmaid

Alisa: The only time that I have re-worn a bridesmaid dress (there are 7 hanging in my closet)is at Halloween! In fact, that is the only reason I still have them. They are quite possibly the ugliest creations on the earth. But then, we all know the reason they are so God-awful - so the bride can look good!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Alisa

Only someone with no taste would dress their bridesmaid in an ugly dress. A simple sheath dress in a lovely silk or drapey satin would be lovely and elegant. Check out some of the new styles.