Search

Which island?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which island?

We are first-time visitors to Hawaii this August. Dh and I have a timeshare week confirmed in Kauai. We are working on getting another timeshare week, but are uncertain as to which island we should try for.

We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, which is in July, so that makes us mid-50s. We enjoy hiking, history, snorkeling, and letterboxing (which is similar to geocaching (www.letterboxing.org). We aren't into nightlife. We are certified scuba divers, but it's been a few years and we've heard that snorkeling is just as good in Hawaii. We will be renting a car (convertible!) so transportation is not an issue.

We plan to visit Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head while in Honolulu since we'll be flying into there anyway. We'll only have a day and a half there in that case....unless we decide on Oahu.

So which other island should we visit?
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Go to which ever island you can grab a week, pure and simple. They all offer something to enjoy.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM

Oh yes. I have snorkeled all over Hawaii (all six inhabited islands)- and dove on 3 different islands - and it's all good. With great vis - you don't need to dive - but the night dives off Kona are a trip.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 03:53 AM

www.alternative-hawaii.com konaweb.com stayhawaii.com best most varied for field tripping erupting volcanoes NP usually rent a car and circumnavigate the island more variety than any of the
others our fav although North Shore Kauai is greenest andprettiest as long as you can get it to stop raining.
Other islands ok not great too crowded more touristc..
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

@Tomsd, I don't know if I'm brave enough for a night dive! I think you're right about taking whatever we can get with timeshares.

@quovadis, thanks for the links!
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you are already going to be on Oahu, I'd spend the extra time there. It's a wonderful place, plenty to see and do. Plus you have the added 'history' element there with the Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, etc. in addition to Pearl Harbor. Two islands is perfect for two weeks.

Certainly you could do Oahu 3 days, Maui 4 days, Kauai 7 days, but to me that gets a bit hectic changing islands an 'extra' time.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Hawaii has the best diving and the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:33 AM

I agree that Oahu is a wonderful island because there is so much to do and see that is different than Maui or the Big Island.

Like others have mentioned there are historical places (see Suze's advice), Punchbowl, Chinatown, shopping in Waikiki, hiking up Diamond Head, the beautiful Nu'uanu Pali Outlook, the Japanese Temple in Kahaluu, etc.

Oahu to me represents old Hawaii that the Big Island and Maui can't replecate. Oahu has such beautiful and diverse trees and flowers that you also don't see on some of the "newer" islands.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

@Suze, thanks for the info on Oahu. I never really considered the historical aspects of Hawaii until you mentioned it. I guess I have some preconceptions, so I'm glad I asked!

@Placename, the national park is really tempting. We've seen quite a few national parks and always enjoy them.

@nanabee, that's a totally different impression that I have of Oahu. I think of Oahu, I think Honolulu. Preconception strikes again!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Hey - night dives are really pretty easy. You know the old saying right? Nothing there at night that isn't there during the day.

On Oahu - there is lots to do "away from the maddening crowd". And the snorkeling at Hanamua Bay is the best in the Islands - http://www.hanaumabaysnorkel.com/ but suggest you go early to beat the crowds. It's only about 20 minutes south of Waikiki.

Check the tourist mags when you arrive at the airport - for deals - but still suggest you rent equipment from one of the name dealers - such as Snorkel Bob's - and you can keep your equipment and turn it in at an outer island, whatever

And be sure to drive to the North Shore of Oahu- maybe having a shave ice at Haleiwa, and driving by the fabled suring spots such as Waimea (big waves) - Pipeline (noted curl) and Sunset - and over to the Turtle Bay Resort, and maybe stop by the Polynesian Cultural Center - but it has become a bit expensive.

Oh yes, Shark's Cove by Waimea is a good place to snorkel - and there aren't any sharks hanging around there.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM

>>>

Maybe????? Absolutely. The two most popular ones are Matsumoto's and Aoki's. We like the latter.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM

You're most welcome. Hawaii seems to bring out the stereotypes and "preconceptions" in a lot of people for some reason.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM

Doris Duke's Shangri La Estate and the Honolulu Academy of the Arts are two more suggestions along those lines.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM

One of my law school classmates - and his lovely wife - actually lived in the guest house at Doris Duke's Shangri La Estate, when he was starting out practicing law in Paradise and he had also played for the WFL football team back in 74-76.

We had dinner with them there once. Super/Marvelous place - and way back when (20's?) - Doris had actually dynamited a route through the reef so that her yacht could come pick her up. Hey - no Environmental Studies back then - especially for the Rich and Powerful.

My buddy and his wife went out one New Year's eve - and came back - and voila - with all the crazy fireworks - their "home" - the guest house - had burned to the ground. He lamented that all of his trophies (he was an All-American football player at Cal) had melted - but her prize china had not.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM

fyi: http://www.shangrilahawaii.org/
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Great tips, everyone! I'd like to talk dh into going to Oahu for a week. He's got his heart set on Maui.

@tomsd, thank you for the links. My bookmark list is getting nicely lengthly!
Your poor buddy - losing his house!! (I'll have to remember that about the china...)

@sf7307 and suze, thanks for the ideas.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:36 AM

fieldt: They were just renting the guest house - so it wasn't as bad as it might have been - but yes, he couldn't get over how his silver trophies (and he had lots of them) melted but his wife's prize china made it through the intense heat.

What a way to come back from celebrating New Year's eve, eh?

He/they later bought a house out by Hawaii Kai - (on the way to Hanauma Bay) - that had a nice ocean view - and he turned the sauna into a "wine cellar" - as it was already nicely insulated.

He would bring his favorite pinots back to Hawaii from California and he stocked it pretty nicely. He's a big guy and did fine in front of Hawaiian juries.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Uno Mas: I think the 2nd island you visit depends a lot on where you can find a timeshare week. Maui has some great things to see and do, as well as Oahu and even Big Island - our 2nd favorite island after Kauai.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Tomsd!

Why is the Big Island your favorite? The national park is a draw, I'm sure, but if we were staying near there, it seems there is nothing else around. www.nps.gov indicates a full day is enough. If a timeshare becomes available on the western shore, we might just jump at it.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 06:18 AM

My favorite islands are Oahu and Kauai. I love Kauai for what Oahu isn't and Oahu for what Kauai, Maui, Big Island aren't!

It's fun to be on Oahu and to experience all the historical attractions such as Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Duke Mansion, the beautiful Byodoin Japanese Temple, etc. Then there are the natural landscapes - hike up Diamond Head, snorkel at Hanamua Bay, see the North Shore beaches (Sunset, Pipeline, Waimea Bay). I also feel Oahu is more lush and tropical similar to Kauai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -