Reload this Page >

Which is prettier? North Carolina or Tennessee

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Amy

We are thinking of retiring to the mountains of one of these states. Any opinions out there on beauty and quality of life in each? Thanks!

Old May 12th, 2002, 05:29 AM
lola

Have you yet visited either area? Western North Carolina is very, very beautiful with interesting small towns and what seems like a lot to do. Can't really speak to TN

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Marion

North Carolina is prettier and cleaner, I think, but you have a big state tax there that you don't have in Tennessee!

Old May 12th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Les

This is a foolish question (if it's not a troll). Obviously, the answers will be highly subjective and may in no way match your opinions.
If you're really planning to move to one of these states, doing it based on opinions in this forum (rather than first-hand knowledge) is equally foolish.
Take a trip, make up your own mind!

Old May 12th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Amy

I did not say, Lester, that I was going to decide to retire in one of these places based on the opinions I get on this board. Of course, I will be visiting there but I just want to get a bead on what people who've traveled to both places think? Is that alright with you, Lester????

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:41 AM
JD

Born and raised in TN, and I currently live in NC. I would have to admit that NC has more natural beauty in my opinion. Both states have a plenty of greenery and trees, it just seems that the trees are "fleshed out" with evergreens in NC. The skies are blue and usually clear. I'm reminded of TN's rain every time I visit my family... Just as one crests the mountains, you can usually tell the TN/NC border by which side it's raining on! So I guess the climate seems nicer to me as well. You know what though? The people in TN are nicer. People here in NC seem to have a stiff upper lip and a no-nonsense disposition. I also used to think that TN was the "buckle" of the Bible Belt until I moved to NC and realized it was here! Still a nice place to live, even if it is being overcome by refugees from the Northeast. By the way, TN will likely have a state income tax by year's end, as Gov. Sundquist has made it life's mission to get one passed. But that's a whole different can of worms...

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Les

Amy,
Still a foolish question, no matter how you try to embellish it after the fact.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:46 AM
jj

Not a foolish question at all, Amy.

I live in NC (born & raised) and like it here. Certain areas are very pretty. I've visited TN before, but not for a few years. I think you should visit each before deciding. Good luck!

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Dumb

Amy:
Please re-read your posting. It sounds like a dumb question. It implies that you're going to decide based on responses to your posting.

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Stephanie P.

Amy:

Only traveled through west North Carolina once. Very beautiful mountainous terrain. I think I saw a Daniel Boone State Park there. I'd say anywhere in the Appalachian mountain chain would be great.