Reload this Page >

Which Inn in Savannah

Search

Which Inn in Savannah

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Margi

Which Inn in Savannah

We are mulling over 3 inns in Savannah-the Marshal House, The Mulbery amd The River Street Inn. We like B & B's but the cancellation policies at these hotel are more flexible. Any recommendations?

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Johanna

I stayed in the Manor House when I was in Savannah - it was very pretty and a good price. My complaint with B&B's is that sometimes I don't feel like there is a lot of privacy, and certainly not the anonimity of a larger hotel. The only one of those hotels I can comment on is the River Street Inn. It is right on the river and in a prime location to be. It looked like a very nice hotel and a river side room would have a great view, although maybe a little noisy. This is the hotel I wanted to stay at but it was booked at the time.

Savannah is wonderful - bring your walking shoes!

Johanna

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 07:48 PM
CMcDaniel

There is absolutely no comparison between these inns and B&Bs. I'd put up with the stricter cancellation policies if I were you, and just plan on making the trip when scheduled, no matter what! Unless you have odd job schedules, cancellation shouldn't be an issue.

Marshall House is right on Broughton St...the least desireable of all the streets in the historic district, IMHO. It is busy traffic-wise and dying commercial-wise, though trying for a rebirth. You might as well stay way down Abercorn for all the ambience you'll get on Broughton!

Mulbery--lobby is very nice, haven't seen the rooms, location is OK...but it is a Holiday Inn...albeit a very nice one. It fronts on one of the streets off Bay St(busy), but it's side is on a square.

Again, have only seen the lobby of River St. Inn, which was nice, and you might have a river view, which would be a plus. Of the 3, this is the one I'd probably go with, but one side is on Bay, the other on the river so I'd be pretty darned sure my room location was not going to be Bay St. Honestly, though, why not rethink the importance of the cancellation policies?

If you are seriously considering any of these three, then you should also throw both the Marriott and the Hyatt, or Bestwestern or Days Inn, into the mix too.

If I were going to do a B&B I'd probably go with Foley House...best location (Chippewa Square in the heart of the historic district) and value for the money. Ballastone also great, as is, of course, the Gastonian. Gastonian will probably be the most expensive of those 3 and I'm not sure it offers enough more than the others to warrant the extra expenditure.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 09:20 PM

Mulberry, It is nice, cozy and they serve high tea in the afternoon so it has an "inn" feel. Enjoy!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Steve

I've stayed at the Mulberry which, as previously noted, is a Holiday Inn but it has very nice public areas and the rooms are quite pleasant. The concierge was very helpful with restaurant suggestions.
The Ballastone Inn is very nice and I've heard nothing but good things about the Gastonian.