Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai: Sheraton oceanfront room or Hyatt Regency Gardenview room

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 07:02 PM
Karla

Need some advice on where to stay in Kauai-- we have been given a couple of options---Sheraton Hotel oceanfront room, or the Hyatt Regency garden view room. Which would be the better for a week???

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 02:50 AM
Anthony

Karla:
If you are comfortable with The Hyatts price, then there is nocomaprison; the Hyatt is a FAR superior hotel. The hotels arenot in the same class. I have stayed at the Hyatt twice, most recently in Oct., and enjoyed every min. of it. You can read my review of the resort at www.epinions.com.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 04:56 AM
Marisa

Karla:

As I have mentioned in previous postings, we stayed at the Sheraton Kauai for our honeymoon last September and we loved it! We had originally reserved a deluxe oceanfront room. When we arrived, the room had twin beds and after some complaints to the manager, we were upgraded to a suite. Putting aside the upgrade, the hotel itself was very nice. The beach in front of the hotel was great. If you have any specific questions, send me an e-mail.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Nancy

The Hyatt in Kauai is fabulous! I cannot say enough about it. My husband and I honeymooned there last year and were absolutely impressed with everything. The room was comfortable and nicely furnished; the pool was incredible; the service was outstanding everywhere. Just to be sure, we also checked out the Sheraton and Marriott and felt even better about our choice. For the record, we just got back from a week in Maui Sunday and were terribly disappointed with the Hyatt there, as it could not come close to the Kauai Hyatt.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 03:09 PM
Barbara

Karla,
I stayed at the Sheraton last year & thoroughly enjoyed it. it all depends on what type of hotel you want to stay at. The Hyatt seemed fancier to me just by walking through it. I enjoyed the open air atmosphere of the Sheraton. The beaches are a little different as well. If I remember correctly, the Hyatt's beach ends at a cliffside while the Sheraton's is longer and has an actual stretch of sand. Again, it depends on your preferences. --Barbara

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Linda

I would ALWAYS opt for the ocean view when in Hawaii. Especially if you are going Nov-Apr which is whale season. You may be lucky enough to see a whale breach from your balcony!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Jenny

URGENT... need to book by tomorrow!!!
I'll be going to Kauai and Maui in June
of this year for my honeymoon and I need your advice/opinions:
1) I'm thinking about staying 5 nights in Hyatt Maui POV and 6 nights in either Sheraton (garden view w/ honeymooner room upgrade at check in) or Hyatt Kauai (mountain view). The price difference is about $300/package. I've seem posts saying that Hyatt Kauai is noisy, service is slow, and the pool is crowded and the Sheraton is quieter and the beach is swimable. Does anyone feel those statements are true/false?
2) I've seen some posts that Poipu beach during summer time would be rough to swim? But if the pool is very crowded, then where can you swim? Can someone recommend a calm & nice beach to swim in? (I guess during that time the pool/beach will be very crowded.)
3) Anyone done spa/massage treatment in Sheraton/Hyatt Kauai or Hyatt Maui or anywhere else on the those 2 islands? Any recommendations?
4) Opinion on snorkeling tours, horseback riding sites, or land/water tours? Must do's and must avoids?

Many thanks for your time. ^_^

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Anthony

Jenny:

I don't know what info you are reading from, but there is NO WAY that the Sheraton Kauai is better than the Hyatt.

I have stayed there on 2 separate occasions, and I can tell you it is NOT noisy, and service is NOT slow. The Hyatt is consistently rated on of the TOP resorts in the world - wether Fodors, Conde Naste Traveler, Travel & Leisure, Zagts - the lists go on -
The Sheraton is NO comparison - The Sheraton is not considered a 5 star resort With regards to the pool, it is exactly the opposite of what you state. There are 3 pools to choose from- one which is adults only. The pools at the Sheraton are of no comparison. Have you read the reviews at epinions.com ?

Here is the link to that site:
http://www.epinions.com/lodg-Accommo...ca-All-epi0937

Don't make a mistake! Book the Hyatt Kauai!!!