Which Hotel on Maui?

Apr 25th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Linda

Which Hotel on Maui?

Hi all! I need some input on a couple of hotels that my travel agent suggested. The choices are Maui Prince Hotel, Outrigger Wailea, Maui Coast Hotel. The rooms must be clean and fairly upscale and a beautiful beach nearby. Since we don't know anything about Maui or these hotels, any help you can give me would be very much appreciated! Thanks!!

Apr 25th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Tricia Brenkert

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger Wailea last year on our honeymoon. The hotel was very nice and I know they were planning on doing a renovation last year in match.

The beaches in the Wailea are are much less croweded and the neighboring hotels ae very classy (The Grand Wailiea, The Four Seasons, etc). However, more of the "action" is in the Kaanapalia area (which we weren't looking for) but is only maybe a 45 minute drive. I would recommend the hotel.

If you do go, there is a restauratnt in the Wailea GOlf Club called the Sea Watch. Make a dinner reservation right before sunset. It is gorgeous and the foot is outstanding-probably on of our best meals on the island.

Apr 25th, 2001, 02:25 PM
freewoman

We stayed at the Royal Lahina on Kannapali Beach two years ago. It was wonderful. The rooms were nice, the staff was great, there is a small refrigerator in every room (not a mini bar!) and the buffet breakfast they lay out every morning is to die for. The beach was very pretty and not crowded at all. I think the beach is not crowded because the island offers so many excursions, people are busy going on them instead of just laying on the beach every day. Me -- I laid on the beach every day and loved it!! We thought Maui was paradise and would have stayed if we could.

Apr 25th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Betsy

Linda,
You might want to consider staying in a condo unit. Both Grand Champions Villas and The Palms (both in Wailea) are excellent. Prices are great and units ... especially Grand Champions... are very spacious. Grand Champions office 808-874-3700 can fax you a list of owners who rent directly rather than thru a management company.
SeaWatch ... at the Wailea Gold Golf Course is great for dinner, lunch or breakfast. Another great choice in the area is Joe's Bar and Grill. Haliemaille (spelled wrong) is another great restaurant.
If I were booking thru a travel agent I would want an agent who has been to Maui in the last few years and can give you first hand knowledge.

Apr 25th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Jerry

Linda why must you stay at one of those hotels?
Are you sure you're not simply being steered in that direction by a travel agent who is getting larger commissions for booking those hotels?
Do you know this agent well?

Apr 25th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Linda

Hi again. Thanks for your replies so far.

Jerry, these hotels were suggested by my agent because those are the places people in the agency had stayed in the past year (and really liked)--and they were part of a package deal. We haven't booked anything yet, since we aren't going until September, and we are certainly open to any other suggestions that anyone would like to pass on---I guess we just needed a place to start.
Having said that, PLEASE keep posting your ideas and advice folks, I appreciate it. Thanks!!

Apr 25th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Gary

Linda: do whatever you're comfortable doing, but please keep in mind how the "travel agent business" works. They get commissions for sending clients to hotels. Some hotels offer extra commissions to stimulate business. Obviously these are hotels that are not filling well on their own...for whatever reason. The point is, the agent is trying to make a living and they'll steer you to whatever place lines their pockets the best. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get you there. Why do you think the agents stayed at the hotels they're recommending? Because the hotels cut them a deal!! Stay at our hotel for next to nothing, we'll treat you right, you go home and sell our hotel rooms and everyone ends up happy! I would only trust an agent who was a personal friend. Otherwise you have no way of knowing whether their steering you straight or not (unless you can confirm what they tell you on an independent forum like this one...which is why you're here. Very good move).
Now there's nothing wrong with the places you mentioned. My point is, look at your budget, check to see what hotels fit into your range, then pick the best one. When you're done checking, maybe the package deal from your agent will be competitive. If so, book it. But always verify on your own first. Hotels in Hawaii frequently run package deals because there's a whole lot of competition out there.
I'd suggest the following: first decide where you want to stay on Maui: Kapalua area, Kaanapali or Wailea. How to decide? How important is predictable weather, how old are you, do you want lots of activity/nightlife or quiet/relaxed environment, is shopping close by important, kids=good or not, are you more interested in spending a bit more on a nice hotel versus saving extra $$ for activities/eating etc or vice versa? Answering these questions will let you know where on Maui you'd be most satisfied. There's a dizzyingarray of hotel/condo choices. Be demanding and try to get exactly what you want. It'll make your trip that much better.

Apr 25th, 2001, 06:15 PM
linda fromNJ

There are other hotels in Maui that are just as nice as the ones recommended by your travel agent. Actually nicer. My husband and I stayed at the Kea Lani on our honeymoon and really liked it. The hotel is all suites, beautiful landscaping, food is good and the service was the best. The weather in Wailea is warm with less rain. There is more night life in Kanapali and more rain in Kapalua. By the way the Mau Prince has a really nice beach but the hotel is kind of off of the beaten path.

Apr 26th, 2001, 04:35 AM
kara

Linda,
I am not familiar with the Maui Prince so I can't comment on that hotel, but to be perfectly honest....I would not describe the other hotels you mention as upscale. There are many other nicer hotels on Maui. (Kea Lani, Four Seasons, Renaissance, Hyatt, Marriott, etc...)

Apr 26th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Kristy

HI Linda:

In lieu of your travel agent, maybe it would be a better idea to post a more general question. Possibly stating something like "I would like to stay at an upscale resort in Wilea (or Kapalua or Kaanapali, or whatever) with a nice beach. I have xx to spend and this will cover air, hotels, and a rental car. I have xx time to spend. I like to xx and xx. What would you suggest." This will help you to get more hotel suggestions and possibly some ideas that you may not have gotten from your agent. Either that or just search through old Maui hotel posts - trust me there have been hundreds. And that will give you a great start on your research.

My travel agent pushed me to a few hotels but I just let it go in one ear and out the other. I did my research and chose the Four Seasons in Maui and the Hyatt in Kauai. I based that on questions that I asked here and a lot of research that I did. Don't let a travel agent dictate where you stay because you will limit yourself and you may miss out on better opportunities. I trust my travel agent because it is a family friend, but I still wanted to choose for myself.

Just a suggestion. Good luck!
Kristy

Apr 26th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Cheryl

Hi Linda
Just got back from Maui on Monday. We stayed at the Kaanapali Villas unit 505. Originally we were given a unit that was unsatisfactory, however we moved into 505 and truly loved it. Front facing ocean view and very nice. Grounds very nice. I would recommend. Great price through Entertainment book. However, we did travel to Wailea and found it much more sedate, lots of golf course. We had 2 teenagers with us and wanted to be in Kaanapali area. Outriger Wailea looked nice as did Maui Prince( would not consider upscale) Ritz Carlton in McKena is wonderful if you want upscale. We also traveled to Kauai and Honolulu and our whole family decided Kauai was definately the best. Would probably never go back to Maui, but would Kauai. Have been to Oahu several times. Cost of living is very high be prepared. We had condos and did our grocery shopping in neighboor hood markets. Small loaf of bread 3.89. box of Cherrios $7.00. Gas in Maui 2.29 gallon, Kauai 2.03 gallon, Honolulu 1.89 gallon. If you have any questions e-mail me we did a lot and i have a lot of info.
Cheryl

Sep 12th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Lucy

Hi Linda! I am so glad you mentioned the outrigger hotel. We just came back from Maui a few days ago and stayed at the Renaissance on the same strip as the Outrigger. We loved the ocean front rooms at the Outrigger when we walked by the path to the beach area. There are rooms right on the beach path. Ask for those rooms if you are staying there.

We were debating between the Outrigger and the Renaissance when we were making reservations and went with the Renaissance because we knew the name. Even though we loved the Renaissance and loved our ocean view room, we wish we went with Outrigger's ocean view room. Have a blast!

May 15th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Linda,

My husband & I stayed at the Maui Coast 8 yrs ago for our honeymoon. I don't remember how much we paid, but I do remember it being more affordable than the hotels in Wailea & Kaanapali. If I remember correctly, Maui Coast is located in Kihei, there is a lot of condo rentals in that area. There is a beach directly across the street from the hotel. We went there once, it was so windy we felt like sand rats, then we realized why it was so deserted! We ended up driving down to Wailea every day to enjoy their beach, and to Kaanapali and Lahaina for shopping and activities. The drive isn't long, about 15 mins each way. It can become a little tedious, I guess, after a full day. But it was kinda nice to drive down the road with the convertible top down, and the ocean just right there, and you (the passenger) can watch the stars and moon.

The hotel room was neat and nice, it wasn't spectacular, mind you. We didn't really use any of the hotel amenities so I don't even know what they have. The hotel is nothing to brag about and we were certainly envious of all the people who could afford to stay at the gorgeous resorts in the other area. But for a moderately-priced hotel, it was ok, we basically just used the hotel for sleeping.
May 15th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Hey Mitmap,

I have a feeling that Linda has come and gone from Hawaii (maybe even twice) since her original post over 2 years ago.
May 15th, 2003, 06:38 PM

Linda- I have stayed at all the hotels mentioned in your original post. I love the Outrigger/Marriott Wailea. Its not as upscale as the rest of Wailea but I love the expansive grounds and we've had some pretty awesome views there.

Maui Coast doesnt even compare with the Wailea hotels. It's very nice (for the price) but nothing special and has no ocean views or landscaped grounds. If you go with Maui COast be sure to upgrade to an "alcove" room, much more spacious than their regular.

I do not love the Prince, I am sure I am in the minority. It's pretty isolated. I prefer the Wailea resorts along the beachfront pathway that connects the resorts.

Of the 3 you mentioned, Prince will probably cost the most, then the Outrigger/Mariott, Maui Coast should be almost half the price.
May 16th, 2003, 04:35 AM

hey vivi - didn't your ead Doug's post? take a look at the date of the original post. i doubt if Linda is still looking for advice.
May 22nd, 2003, 08:51 PM

I stayed at Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Grand Wailea, Kea Lani, and Hyatt Regency. Bottomline, if you don't have kids then the most romantic would be Four Seasons. If you want both the closest choice would be Ritz Carlton. Grand Wailea is old. Kea Lani is kinda romantic at nite but during daytime looks very average. Hyatt also feels dated

Search this Thread