Which Hotel...in New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to New York City mid July and want some advice on where to stay. I have narrowed the choices down to:
Carlyle
Penninsula
Stanhope Hyatt
The Mark

Here is what we are looking for:
"kid friendly" - 3 kids (ages 6,9 & 11) .
We would like easy access to the sites but in a nice area;
A "grand" New York style hotel in the true sense and not just riding on past reputation (like the Plaza from what I gather from this site).
Clean, bright, and airy rooms that are on the larger side
Helpful & friendly staff

This is our first trip to New York and we feel like the right hotel will definately add to our wonderful NY experience.
Originally I was looking either at the Stanhope or the Mark for it's quite neighborhood but the kids voted for a busier neighborhood.

Any advice will be apprecited.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM

Don't know about the others - but I would not consider the Stanhope especially kid friendly - except for being right across from the park.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM

Hi again. Of this group I'd probably say the Peninsula might be the most fun for the kids. As you know, the other 3 on your list are all pretty much in the same upper east side neighborhoood which, as I mentioned on a previous thread of yours, is a mostly residential area near the museums and art galleries. During the summer it's particularly quiet on weekends. It is close to Central Park and it is a very pretty, upscale area though.

The Peninsula is right in the middle of midtown a few short blocks from Rockefeller Center (and the new American Girl doll store FYI) and has an indoor pool which the kids might like. (I understand there are certain hours for kids to swim though). They also have quite an extensive spa for the adults. There's a good review on tripadvisor from someone who stayed there with an infant, so that bodes well. You're also much closer to the Times Square area without being IN TS.

If you want to consider some other options, the Ritz Carlton on Central Park South has been getting rave reviews and if you get a park view there, it would be quite dramatic. Also along Central Park South, the St Regis Club inside the Essex House Hotel also gets high marks for service etc. Finally, the Four Seasons Hotel is newer than the others you're considering but is still supposed to be tops for service. None of these others that I've mentioned has a pool and they're all reasonably close to each other. The 2 on Central Park South are closest of the bunch to Central Park.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:50 AM

On the go 2,
I agree with the previous post on the Stanhope. I stayed there in March and I'd say that it's rather "hushed". We love the location but it's not somewhere I'd think of for kids.

A friend of mine is in NY this weekend with his 8 year old son. He and his wife normally stay at The Mark which they love but he opted for Le Parker Meridien because it looked more relaxed, because of the location and because of the rooftop pool.It isn't a "grand" NY hotel but he felt it would be kid friendlier.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM

Grand old hotel and kid friendly ,I don't know. I've stayed at the Mark but the location is out of the way.Grand old style try Plaza or Pierre.Fabulous and new try Ritz Carlton Central Park.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:22 PM

Wow, you have a nice choice of hotels. With your young kids, I would not choose the Upper E Side because of too much walking (in NYC heat) to tourist sites. On the other hand, if you are in any residential (as opposed to business/tourist) area, there are more family-style, decently priced restaurants that all can enjoy. However, on the U E Side, these are still a few long blocks away--far with starving, complaining kids in tow. If you were to stay at the Peninsula, I recommend for lunch F&B for gourmet hot dogs etc., which is newly opened at 152 E 52nd (I think). Do you have daughters? Are they interested in visiting the American Girl Store, next to Saks, cor. 5th and 49th? Again to address your restaurant needs--in the theater district, try Ollie's for inexpensive, quick Chinese on W. 44th, also near Lincoln Center. Two Boots Pizza has a branch in Rock Center food court. With the kids, I would want to stay where we'd have plenty of family-friendly but good meal options nearby. Or, if you end up staying on Central Pk S., it's a short walk to the Lincoln Center area. They have great smoothies in the basement of the Time Warner Center. These may be small details, but they can be important to kids' happiness, and to yours.