Reload this Page >

Which Hawaiin Resort

Search

Which Hawaiin Resort

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 07:56 AM
Matt

Which Hawaiin Resort

I have the tickets (Honolulu or Kona), now we need a place to stay. This is for a marriage proposal so I would like very comfortable accomodations but still have activities (fun) available. (Four Seasons out of the ballpark) I'm looking at the Khala Mandarin Oriental on Oahu or Waikaloa Hilton on Big Island. Any reviews for these two? Or other suggestions. ASAP if possible and thanks for your help!!!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 08:32 AM
BYoung

We stayed at the Hilton on the Big Island a couple of years ago and loved it. We cannot wait to go back. I suggested it to someone that I work with who was getting married in Hawaii and they also really liked it. No beach, because of the lava beds but the pool(the best that I have ever seen with slides, hot tub and waterfalls) sat right on the beach. They also created a manmade beach that is fed by the ocean. You can snorkle with the giant sea turtles. The rooms were very nice and spacious, food was great and the facilities were awesome. The resort is broken up into towers and you travel to the towers by boat or monorail. E-mail me if you have other question.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 01:03 PM
david

I would not recommend the Waikaloa. While it's an ok place (dolphin quest and lagoon swim area) it's way too much like a Disney Resort. I like Disney resorts when I stay in Orlando, not in Hawaii. It's very very crowded and not very serene (my opinion). I would highly recommend the The Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea/Mauna Kea Prince Hotels. All have nice beaches and very very very romantic. They are on the pricey side but worth the money if you can swing it. Enjoy!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:17 AM
angie

Hi Matt,

As an alternative to a resort/hotel
you might want to consider a condo rental. There's a great site at www.hawaiicondosbyowner.com/hawaii.htm

All the best on your upcoming proposal!!

Angie

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:47 AM
Jim

For a romantic hotel I would vote also for the Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea Hotel versus the Waikaloa. The Hilton Waikaloa is just too glitzy. Another suggestion is the Sheraton Orchid at Mauna Lani which share the same resort comlex with Mauna Lani Hotel. Prefer Kona to get away from it all but the Kahala Mandarin is beautiful hotel also in Honolulu.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 11:41 AM
cheri

stayed at the kahala for five days last oct. excellent first class all the way. swim with the dolphins,beautiful beach,excellent food. the hoku is an excellent restaurant on the premises. he only draw back is getting back and forth to wakiki. they have a shuttle bus with descent hours but you got to be the first one their.even with reservations for the shuttle people were left to wait for the next shuttle. rent a car. the rooms are paradise. we were up-graded to a suite with the living room locked out we never knew this till we left. i couldn't imagine a better room. please go to their web site and view. we also booked the breakfast buffet which was excellent. i hope i'm not to late.if so change your reservations now..worth every penny.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 12:53 PM
edie

ok, you say that the four seasons (in Kona, I assume?) is out of price range? have you looked into Kona Village Resort? it's pricey, but prices include all meals, and many activities, tennis, a brand new fitness facility, the luau, which is awesome, kayaks, snorkeling...scuba is extra. it is without a doubt the most romantic place i have ever been, bar none. it would be the most amazing place to be proposed to.
they have a website..konavillage.com

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Anthony

I would actually fly into Honolulu, spend about two nights there, then take a interisland fare to either Maui or Kauai.

Honolulu is great for USS Arizona/Pearl Harbor, hike to Dimond Head, and afternoon shopping in Waikiki, walking the beaches of Waikiki. That's about it.

If you are going all the way to Hawaii, you might as well enjoy the nicer islands. Have been too all the major ones, I prefer either Maui or Kauai. Interisland fares are only about $64/flt

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 07:53 PM
ezron

Yea,what that last guy said.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Karen

Matt -

I agree with the majority in that your choice should be the Big Island. Honolulu would never be my choice. I think that the Waiakoloa Hilton is a lovely hotel but as like many hotels, it is commercial, crowded and as far as romantic setting, you could do better. There are many condos is this area that afford lovely settings, are certainly more private and may be more to your liking. We have stayed at a condo at the Mauna Lani Point several years ago. It was an oceanfront unit on the golf course, and we loved it. I think you have chosen the best part of the island in which to stay. Good luck.