Which ferry to Martha's Vineyard?

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which ferry to Martha's Vineyard?

We will be traveling to Martha's Vineyard (Edgartown) on a Friday afternoon in late July and would like advice on which ferry to take. We are coming from New Hampshire. I thought New Bedford would be the way to go so we miss the bridge traffic we'd encounter if we were to take a ferry out of Woods Hole. However, the New Bedford ferry only goes to Oak Bluff. Will the additional hassle or expense of travelling between between the ferry terminal in OB and Edgartown offset the convenience of taking the ferry out of New Bedford? Am I right that New Bedford will be a lot easier to get to than Woods Hole on a late Friday afternoon in late July? Any other advice? Thanks in advance -- we really appreciate it.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Actually, Oak Bluffs is closer to Edgartown than Vineyard Haven, so I'm not sure what additional hassle you are referring to? I do think the New Bedford ferry is easier to get to than Woods Hole. I guess the boat ride is a little longer, but personally, I'd rather sit on the ferry than sit in traffic.

I assume, of course, you are not taking acar over, right? because the New Bedford ferry is passengers only.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:07 AM

Agree with china Also on Friday afternoon the traffic onto the cape can be terrible, the ferry from New Bedford is very easy to get to and is high speed.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:42 AM

I also agree with going to New Bedford. The traffic will probably be horrendous heading down Cape. We went 2 weeks ago to MV from Woods Hole and it was great, however we left on a Thurs. morning and came from within 20 min. of Woods Hole. A few days later we drove down Cape on a Sun. early afternoon and the traffic was nuts in that direction! New Bedford is not the prettiest of cities, but you are only going to get to MV.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Better yet. There is a ferry from Quonsett Point, RI direct to MV. Before Providence ahd Fall River. Lvs 12, 4.30, 8.30.
check out website: www.vineyardfastferry.com
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM
nlg

We will be going to MV the first weekend in Oct. We will be coming from Manchester, NH. Will the traffic still be heavy in the fall? We will be going to MV on a Saturday morning and coming back Monday afternoon. I have looked at the schedules and fares from New Bedford and Woods Hole-it is a lot more expensive to go from New Bedford-why is that?
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Look at a map. New Bedford is thirty miles from MV. Woods Hole, about five. However, the New Bedford ferry is a catamaran which travels about thirty mph -- so the trip is only an hour.

If you arrive early in New Bedford, the whaling museum is worth two hours or so, the Seaman's Bethel about a half hour.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. The only remaining concern we have about New Bedford is whether our car will be safe there. I assume that the parking are has adequate security but can anyone confirm?
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, our car spent a few nights there safely. The parking area is fenced and I believe attended. In late July the lot will be quite full -- you would have to be very unlucky for a thief to pick yours out.