Reload this Page >

Which day best for road to Hana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Kathy

We will be on Maui at the end of June and we would like to drive the road to Hana without a lot of extra traffic and people at the stops. I understand that there are cruise ships making stops on Maui and was wondering if there are certain days that they are there. Which day is best? Thanks for your help.

Old May 29th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Pamela

I'm not sure which day is best for avoiding traffic, but here's a tip on when to go. Since you have to leave early in the morning (to enjoy the full experience and get back by dark), my suggestion is to go one of the first days you are in Maui. My BF and I did that since we were still on EST (5 hours later). It was no trouble waking up early because it actually felt later to us.

Old May 30th, 2001, 10:08 AM
kristy

To the top...

I would like to know the answer to his one as well.

Kristy

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:37 AM
am

I'd also like to know the answer. Some one out there has to know the answer.

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:22 AM
dj

The best day to go is when the traffic is lightest. Duh!

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:37 AM
Bob

I don't know if there is a correct answer to this one. Hana has 56 bridges and is a challenge to drive. You will be stopping along the way to appreciate the scenery. One thing we discovered in 1990 when we made the drive: There is no real food or restaurants along the way until you arrive Hana. If you want a sandwich, take one with you. We had other friends that did the trip and they rented the tape to tell them about the sights. Said it really was worth the money. This is a drive you will do one time, buy the tshirt to say you did it and never repeat. Everyone does it once.

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:56 AM
cindy

Just go early. Probably weekdays are best. Leave about 7 or 8am at the latest. We had some rain for about 45 min in the rain forest. Not a problem, rather nice but took longer. And yes, take food.
Also, the t-shirts at the big market in Hana were really tacky. Found nicer sheets in Lahaina that had the number of bridges, curves, etc. printed on it. If you see it, buy it then, don't wait until you do Hana, you might forget where you saw it (we did, had our shirts printed by some t-shirt place on Front Street -- 2hours before our flight).

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:59 AM
cindy

Sorry, I was taking a call while typing, I didn't mean sheets of course, meant, nicer shirts.

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:47 AM
rheianne

we went on a saturday morning a week ago, leaving kaanapali at 8 a.m. didn't have too much traffic on the road, only a few spots where there was a little stop and go due to people waiting for their turn on the one lane stretches. these stops lasted less than a minute, and there were probably only 4 or 5 instances that this happened. at times we would find ourselves driving in a small caravan of 6-7 cars, but generally the leader would be going at a pretty decent speed and cars tended to drop out for various stops. we did have to skip a few (two) of the waterfalls (or stop off on our way back) because there was only enough space for 2-3 cars to stop on the side of the road. i didn't see any cruise ships while there, but i know they stop. i figure that if you get on the road by 8 am, you'll miss the cruisers since they have to disembark and go to the car rental place to pick up a vehicle/get on their tour bus. unless they manage to get off the ship pretty early, i figure you'll be well on your way to hana by then. hope this helps. overall, i'd say that the road is pretty low key and, in our instance, didn't cause either the driver or passenger a lot of stress. neither of us got motion sickness from the curves. it is a long drive though, so be prepared with snacks, drinks, some tissues and handi wipes for the restrooms/portables. and if you have a convertible, plenty of sunblock and a hat. we borrowed a cd from the hotel and thought that was helpful in finding the sights along the way.

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:59 AM
David

A recent newspaper ad shows one criuse ship in port at Maui from 7:30 AM Sat to 2 PM Sun, and another from 7:30 AM Tues to 5:30 PM Wed. Due to the long drive to Hana, it is unlikely many cruise passengers would be renting cars to do the drive, and if you started out by 8:00 you would get ahead of any of the cruise passengers who rent cars to go there.

Old May 31st, 2001, 05:00 PM
Kathy

Thanks for all your help. We do plan to go the first morning we are there, so we should be on the road very early. Are there any stops that you highly recommend on the drive?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:18 PM
rheianne

everyone stops at it since it's on all the guidebooks, but don't miss the black sand beach. i thought it was the best part of the drive. it wasn't really the beach that was so great, but the entire bay. blue water, natural bridges, lava outcroppings on the right hand side of the beach, greenery and palm trees lining the left hand side of the beach. we ended up eating our pre-packed lunch at a picnic table near the lava outcropping and were treated to a fabulous view. if you're short on time, definitely don't let this spot be the one you skip! p.s. if you're in a convertible, watch out for nut bearing trees overhead when driving on the road off the highway. the driver of our car almost got clocked on the head by a monster nut when it fell off the tree. have a wonderful time!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:13 PM
deb

Bring a picnic lunch! Don't know where you're staying, but at the Four Seasons you can have one made up. It was worth it! We ran into a family on our Haleakala Bike ride who were starving on the drive and said it made it less fun. I read that the restaurants in Hana are expensive and terrible food. We went on a Sunday and left Wailea at about 7:30 am. The traffic never seemed that bad, even though we really took our time. We did it on the 27th of May (memorial day holiday weekend), so I think it is just a matter of leaving early when you go. If you want a really special trip, get Maui Revealed guidebook and stop at some of the locations they mention. There were at least 2 stops (with hikes) where we had waterfalls/pools to ourselves.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Lighter

I hear the mosquitos have the day off on Wednesday....so, if I were you, I would go on Wednesday....

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Kara

We went on May 31. From Wailea we stopped at Kmart and stocked up on snacks, subs, and a cooler of drinks. We were on the road by 8:30am. We were rarely in a caravan the entire day. If we felt that the person behind us wanted to go faster than we were, we would pull over and let them go by. We took our Maui Revealed guidebook with us which was priceless. We went to all the sites that it suggested and had the time of our life! We hiked back to several waterfalls that aren't listed on the regular tours and had them all to ourselves. We were totally away from the crowds and felt like explorers. By the time we hit the Seven Sacred Pools it was about 4:00pm and they were very crowded and not as impressive as some of the other things we had experienced. We continued all the way around the base of Haleakala. That part of the road is really not bad. Yes, there were some narrow parts and some of it was unpaved, but it is hardly as bad as some would you lead you to believe. I thought that "Ula'ino Road that leads to the Blue Pool was much worse - tons of pot holes! We were even passed by a big tour bus and a local in an old Honda Civic going really fast. If those cars can handle the road, I think they all can. We got all the way around just in time to pull over and watch the sunset. It was breathtaking. This was one of our best days in Hawaii!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Richard Sullivan

We have a detailed account of how to prepare for and what to expect on the famous Hana Drive. I could just paste it all in here, but this board does not support photos. Go to:
http://www.discoveringhawaii.com
Click ENTER, then CHOOSE AN ISLAND in the left frame, then MAUI from the map that comes up, then click on any MAUI'S ROAD TO HANA article.
Mahalo, and have a great time!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 11:48 AM
cheri

Don't worry about cruise ships to much. I was on the norwegian wind last oct. By the time the ship docks, and the first tender starts bring passengers on the island it's 9:30 to 10:30 before everyone who's leaving the ship gets off. The last tender coming back to the ship was 5:30 or 6:00. There is not enough time to get up the road to hana and back especially if there's any traffic. I tried for months to charter somone for our group but no one could promise me we wouldn't miss the ship. And norwegian didn't offer it as as an excursion. So it's all there fault I have to travel all the way back this year just to see the road to hana.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Steve

I live in Oahu and just came back from a Maui weekend visit.

There really isn't a "best" day other than the majority of visitors arrive over the weekend so try a weekday if possible.

Leave early, stop at Charley's in Paia for breakfast. Fill up your gas tank before you leave Paia (gas in Hana is nearly $2.50 for the "cheap" stuff).

Let me know if you need any other tips.

...Steve

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 01:22 AM
c

Absolutely pack a cooler with munchies and drinks. Take your time and enjoy the ride; stop often to take in the sites (stay off the edges of the roads...it can be dangerous); a light rain when you are going through adds to the ambiance; smell the wild flowers, guavas; find a great place to picnic; drive all the way around and end your trip with an incredible sunset from Upcountry; otherwise you miss the point. By all means, pull over to the side if a car approaches behind you...some of the folks in Hana actually commute to other parts of the island for work or groceries...an incredible drive when taken on a regular basis...hang loose and let em go by; if it's a tourist, they missed the point anyway...let em go. Thank God for Hana! Enjoy!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Barb

Great hints. But can rental cars really go all the way around? Hope to stay in upcountry so would like to drive the complete way around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -