Reload this Page >

Which Coast on Kauai

Search

Which Coast on Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:10 PM
Lee

Which Coast on Kauai

I keep reading that the North Shore is the most beautiful. Is that in the same vicinity as Coconut Beach?

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 04:43 AM
Margot

Hi Lee -

Coconut Beach is on the eastern shore, which is about a 40-45 minute drive to Princeville on the north shore, and about a 30 minute drive to Poipu on the south shore. I would certainly agree with the opinion that the north shore is the most beautiful side of the island, with its lushness, greenery, and rainbows, all of which is the product the abundant rainfall that many complain about on that side!

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:27 AM
Gary

I have been to Kauai twice, staying both times at the Hyatt at Poipu Beach, but traveling all over the island. Yes, the north shore is more lush, but in both stays, we have not been bothered by rain on the south shore, while as soon as we traveled to the north, we hit rain each time. I know several people that stayed at the Princeville Resort, which is beautiful, and will never go back to Kauai because they said it rained the whole time they were there. I would stay on the south shore, rent a car, and travel around to see the rest.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 08:46 PM
jim

I'm Glad you don't care for the North Shore of Kauai...More room for me!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 10:34 AM
sarah

You are really compromising your stay if you do not stay on the North Shore. Lived on Oahu for three years made multiple trips to Kauai. Was in Kauai last summer and plan an August trip again. The North is most likely one of the most beautiful places you will ever see in your life. Everything you will want to see on Kauai apart from Waimai Cannon is there. Those long drives are annoying and winding in a lot of places. If it rains and that usually clears up early afternoon, drive out. That of couse if you don't like to watch the rainbows or feel the relief. It only rains on a regular basis in the winter months.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 10:38 AM
sarah

You also want to remember when you are choosing your hotel to ask if you are in front of a swimming beach. Frequently, hotels in the Coconut Beach area will say they are right on the water but the waters are not suitable for swimming.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:18 PM
nat

If you are not bothered by rain,the North Shore is the place to go. Do you know that Mt Waialeale (on Kauai)is the wettest place on earth? This is the reason why the North Shore is so beautiful. No rain equals less plants. If anyone has a problem with this,I agree with Jim, stay home, please don't come to my home and then complain about it. And by the way, it does not rain all the time. I brought some friends over to visit and Kauai had beenin a 2month drought. The day they got there it started raining,and didn't stop until after they left. I suppose some people are just lucky. Anyway, goodluck, and I hope whatever you choose willbe a memorable experience.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Lindsay

Don't stay on the Eastern Coast! It's not nearly as pretty or classy as the North Shore or South Shore. If you're there May thru October, I'd definitely stay on the North Shore, possibly the most beautiful place on earth!