Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Broadway show for 13 and 14 year olds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a junior high Student Council group to NYC this summer. One thing I want them to experience is a Broadway show. These are all 13 and 14 year olds, most of whom will be freshmen in high school in the fall. Which Broadway show would this age group enjoy the most. I had narrowed it down to In The Heights, Lion King, Mamma Mia, or Wicked. Then I read that In The Heights had some vulgar language in it that would make me uncomfortable with my students. Am I on the right track with these shows, or are there others that I am not including? Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:07 AM

Well, this is a bit of a SPOILER so if you, or anyone else does not want to know any plot lines, don't read my post...

I can't recall about the language in Heights, but there is a scene when the daughter disobeys her father and spends the night with the boyfriend. I don't remember it as graphic, but very obvious about what she's doing.

Mamma Mia is all about a girl whose mother slept with three different men and now the daughter is trying to figure out which one is her father....

I think your age group would like any of the shows you listed; up to you about your comfort level with the topics.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Mama Mia has a story line that is rather racy,but my girls who are 14 and 16 love the music. I would take them to see the show because they loved the movie. Many of your students have probably seen the movie.
Lion King is a great stage production with fabulous costumes. All the kids would know the show and there is nothing content wise that would embarrass.
I don't know the Heights.
I have not seen Wicked. It is story that is either loved or hated. My one daughter knows the songs because they sing them in chorus class. I am sure she would like to see the show.(she is a freshmen this year).
I would recommend that you go with a show the kids are familiar with in some way. They know the songs or the story line or they have seen the movie. The kids are then more into the show. (Mamma Mia would be more of a girl's show than a boys show.)
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:31 AM

Lion King or Wicked. Off Broadway -- Stomp.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:54 AM

I think of Mama Mia as more of a girls' show so if there are boys in the group, I'd nix that one. I think Wicked also holds more interest for girls at that age. Lion King is usually a crowd pleaser but they may feel it's too juvenile b/c of the Disney animated movie. I adored "In the Heights" but can't remember about the language. I'd add "Billy Elliot" to the list but that also has some rough language. South Pacific and West Side Story are classics.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM

My 11 & 14 year old sons loved "Heights". There were many kids in the audience. The story is set an older, run-down, immigrant neighborhood. They did a good job of portraying a certain amount of gritty, ghetto type behaviour without any in-your-face vulgarity. I don't remember any obscene or profane words, but there were some jokes like "Did you see any horses last night?". "No, why?" "I heard you took a roll in the hay." There were a few things like this. They were quick and not a focal point of the story.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM

I've been going over the score to In the Heights in my head, and I finally realized where there is some "bad" language. During the club scene, the lead sings "Damn this is nice/I really like what you've done with the lights." There are some very, very mild sexual allusions ("If I'm in the mood/it will not be with some dude/who is whistling cuz he has nothing to say.")

Wicked would be really, really great though. It is a bit girly, but has really cool sets and costumes and lighting -- I think it's a crowd pleaser for everyone.

Lion King has fabulous sets and costumes, but isn't my favorite. I am not a fan of Mama Mia.

Enjoy whatever show you choose!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM

I can only chuckle if you think that the word "damn" is "bad"
language and something that 13- and 14-year-olders should be protected from!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM

"Stomp" is a great show for all ages, even w/difficult to please teens.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM

I would say that all the shows you have mentioned above are appropriate for young teens. But you just need to realize that you will probably be paying full price (over $110 per person) for Wicked and perhaps the Lion King. The other two are commonly discounted. But if you are coming with a larger group, you do need to buy your tickets soon. Even though tourism is down, there are still plenty of people going to theaters.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM

I would go for West Side Story or In the Heights - something that relates to their age group. They're teenagers - not 5 year olds.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The reason I originally said I would be uncomfortable with the language for In The Heights is that I had read on an internet review that there was frequent use of the F-Word. Even though I realize that is a word that 13 and 14 year olds probably hear every day, taking them to such a show implies that I condone its use. However, according to your responses, it sounds as if that review may have been incorrect. If so, then I have no problem with something like In The Heights or West Side Story. I want to choose a show that everyone is likely to enjoy. The group consists of 19 girls and 6 boys, and nearly all 25 are student-athletes. Thanks again for any suggestions.