Which Braintree, MA hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the Boston area this summer and hope to see the city of Boston, as well as other attractions to the south (ie Newport Mansions, Plymouth Plantation, etc.) I have narrowed down my hotel choices between the Hampton Inn or the Holiday Inn Express in Braintree. Does anyone have recommendations or reviews on these hotels? Also, is the Braintree location a good one for my itinerary? We will be traveling in a group of 8 adults and 2 children, ages 3 & 5. Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM

Both those hotels are on Wood Road, which is very convenient to two major highways, as well as a movie theater and the large regional shopping mall. It's a good central location for the 3 destinations you named.

You might consider taking the "T" (subway) into the city rather than driving, especially if your hotel offers a shuttle to one of the nearby stops (in Braintree or Quincy) or if you're going into Boston on a weekend, when there will be parking available in the garages (they fill up very early on weekdays).
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM

Having looked over the two hotels' web sites, I'd definitely pick the Hampton Inn. Their amenities seem more suited to your group, their breakfast is better, their shuttle more flexible.

The Holiday Inn site recommends 6 restaurants, but two have been closed for over a year (Bickford's and Jimmy's Harborside) and one is the worst restaurant in a town with over 200 food licenses (Jimbo's).
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:50 AM

Both these places are on the equivalent of an interstate frontage road, overlooking the interstate. They have less than 0 atmosphere. Even so, they are, as "Anonymous" says, convenient to a lot in the area and a good jumping off point for Plymouth, Newport, and the Cape.

I second the idea of taking the T into the city at least once, mostly because of the cost of parking in Boston but also because it is an experience in itself. The Quincy Adams station is closer than the Braintree station.

If you do park in Boston, the garage under the Common, the garage at North Station, and the Garage at Post Office Square have reasonable weekend rates.

There are increasing numbers of good, inexpensive restaurants, especially Asian, in downtown Quincy, about 10 minutes away, and the Blue Hills Reservation, 6000 acres of wood, hills, and trails will be right next door on the non-highway side.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM

Another garage to use if its convenient is the Center Plaza garage - very inexpensive on weekends - $10 if I remember correctly. May be cheaper to drive in than pay for 10 people on T. Its across from City Hall, convenient to Fanieul Hall/Quincy Market. Not too far to walk to North End or Aquarium.

Here's a bit of trivia - The South Shore Plaza (always known as The Plaza by South Shore residents) is one of the oldest shopping malls in the US (second after Shoppers World in Framingham). It used to be completely open air. At Christmas there would be reindeer that you could feed. I spent some of my youth wandering around its stores.

Have a great time.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you one and all for your advice, recommendations, and trivia too! I had a feeling my hotel choices wouldn't be great on atmosphere, but we're trying to save money on lodging to put toward activities while we're there. We're looking forward to the trip. Thanks again.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM

I do not know what your transportation plans are into Boston. If you are relying on hotel shuttle, call hotel directly to make sure it actually exists (do not rely on website info).

If your plans are to drive to MBTA lot and park and take red line into Boston, be aware that most MBTA commuter lots fill very early - by 7:30 or 8 on weekdays. I have no personal knowledge of Braintree or Quincy lots, but this may be an issue.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:26 AM

Gail is right sometimes the lots fill quickly, for some reason I always seem to find a space in Quincy while Braintree seems to fill quicker and it is easy for you to reach from either hotel since it is at what is sometimes referred to as the "braintree split' just minutes from your hotel. Here is a link (from the main mbta.com line) but will show you this particular T line, and if you click on Quincy Adams station you can see garage/facts/directions/where the line goes - and then when you look on the mbta.com main site for connecting lines, you might have a better idea where you care originating from.

http://tinyurl.com/28dagv

WIth little ones, should yoyu need to eat near your hotel, someone mentioned the Plaza , and inside they have a food court with a Johnny Rocket's (where the staff sing intermittently with 50's songs and serves burgers, etc in booths) or you can eat in the general seating section of the food court which has subs, pizzas, smoothies, various foods as found in most food courts)

in that mall is also a Joe's american bar and grill, and down the street at 'braintree five corners' is a Bertucci's with pizza, pasta, salads -

located sort of 'behind' the plaza on Elm St. is Murray's Deli for good sandwiches for lunch or for the road.

In Quincy, the Common Market and Four's are reasonable for with children

The location, near the 'split' in the highway I mentioned above, is good access by car to Newport, Plymouth, Boston - you are right there to head in any of those directions easily.

Sites to use to look up restaurant menus also include dinesite, menupages and opentable (all with a .com at the end)

If you walk around the Plymouth waterfront area the day you go to the plantation, where Plymouth Rock sits, there are many places for eats or ice cream, and up the road is the Jenny Grist Mill which is a nice spot to let little ones run off some steam.

In Newport, so the little ones don't get frustrated over being 'restrained' in the mansions,, etc you might want to also visit Eastons beach and the attractions there, as well as if you shop along the wharf area, take them into the arcade across from the yachting center for some fun and games - also check in at the visitors center (transportation center) for trolley info, and what's happening - sometimes they have special children's outdoor activities or puppet shows in the park or brick marketplace area - the oceandrivenewport.com will give you a nice drive with spots to stop along the way and let them stretch their legs - it's about ten miles long - if they are sea worthy, the Adirondack Ii ride is nice and check out the activities at the Newport Yachting Center, as they often have fairs and festivals too.

of course, in Boston, the little ones will love the duck tour, and the duckling statues and swan boats as you walk through the Boston Public Garden

have fun
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
sistahlou

What an ironic history lesson for the kids......plymouth plantation squalor and the Newport mansions and the slumlords who built them.

It actually is a fantastic couple of places to take in however crass my remark was! Stop by Castle on the Hill for a drink and hang on adirondack chairs while the kids watch the boats in the harbor. Or fly a kite.....there is a whole lot of kite flying on Ocean Ave!!!!