Search

Driving to Boston

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving to Boston

Hi - I've read the previous posts about not driving in Boston. We really don't have a choice because we are driving there from Michigan on April 17th. Would like any suggestions on the most cost effective way to see the sites, yet deal with the car. Would it make sense to book a hotel out of the downtown area and take the T from there? We don't have a clue. Help!

Jeff & Sue
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:28 AM

You have chosen one of the busiest days of the year to arrive in Boston -- Saturday of Marathon/Patriots Day weekend. I'd be surprised if it's still possible to book a downtown hotel at all.

There is no parking at most of the sites you'll want to see; what little parking is available will be filled with the extraordinary number of visitors for this particular weekend. You will need to take the T while traveling between different parts of the city, there's really no other option. At this point, just try to find a hotel with some sort of access to the T, preferably a subway line rather than commuter rail, which has a very limited schedule on weekends.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:40 AM

When you shop for hotel, shop for parking rates/availability as well - that may involve a call to hotel rather than just info from on-line booking site.

I always advocate staying within Boston - Downtown, Copley, Faneuil Hall, etc area rather than on the outskirts. There are really very few hotels outside the city with actual easy access to subway - most involve shuttle (which can be unreliable) and often to commuter rail - which has limited offerings during non-commuter times.

Be prepared for "sticker shock" - Boston hotels are incredibly expensive. As previous poster indicated, this is Boston Marathon weekend - so availability may be low and price high. (Are you leaving Michigan on 4/17 - and then arriving on 4/19? - if so, things will open up a bit, but you will encounter traffic detours around Downtown until late afternoon with Marathon detours)

My opinion about driving in Boston is that it can be difficult, crowded and nerve-racking - but it is not quite as bad as some people report - driving in any old city can be confusing since streets were not designed grid-like but along old cow paths. You can certainly navigate into the city to your hotel, park your car, leave it for the duration unless you need it for out-of-city trips, and then drive it out.

At this point, the hotel will be your major challenge - shop around and if you want, report back here and you will get all sorts of reviews on location.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:54 AM

We have found cheaper hotel rates across the Charles River in Cambridge. Be sure to ask the distance to a subway station because it can be a long walk. We also preferred not to use the subway at night so a cab to the theater district was necessary.
Be careful when you choose a hotel. I just attended a seminar which was advertised as being held in Boston. It was actually held at the "Marriott Courtyard Boston - Revere". It was on a very busy stretch of Rt 1 far from downtown Boston. Once we get to a hotel, the car is parked for the duration of the visit. I agree, ask about the parking fee.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:06 AM

Jeff and Sue, you've had a real cheerful bunch of replies and mine isn't going to be only slightly more encouraging. Your post indicates that you have not yet booked a hotel in Boston. My quick check on Expedia showed that only the 'second tier' properties like the Midtown Hotel were available (it's on the back side of Prudential Center but close to the green line subway). Their 'deluxe room' at $210 including parking is about as good as you're going to find for that weekend in Boston.

Staying out in the suburbs and driving in is a poor idea. Parking in Boston is never cheap or easy and, on the weekend of the marathon, it is well-nigh impossible.

So, the best advice is book quickly and plan to see the sights on foot. It's a great time of year to see the city, so at least your timing is impeccable.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:30 AM

If you have to be out in the 'burbs, then the Newton/Waltham area's not too bad a place to be, so you can get to Riverside Station, the western end of one of the Green Lines. The lot is huge, and there's frequent service downtown, except that it takes a long time, stopping often. Have also stayed in the Woburn area many times, taking the commuter rail, which gets you to Boston (North Station/FleetCtr) faster, but trips not as frequent. There's some places in western Cambridge area on Rt 2 (or is that 2A?) where you could get to the Alewife station ... in fact, the Gateway Inn is walkable to Alewife. Good luck.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM

From a native: Driving in Boston, fugetaboutit! A downtown hotel would be nice, but pricy. The suburbs with access to the T are a great alternative. I would recommend the North Shore, especially the Marblehead//Salem area. It's scenic, loaded with history of it's own, many lodging options. It's a short drive to the Blue line, there is also MBTA Bus service to the T, as well as downtown Boston, if you don't wish to drive at all. Send me an email([email protected] ) if you would like any reccommendations about this area. Have fun!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Check into the Wyndham Chelsea. I stood there last year and it was about 5 min at the most from downtown Boston, but not in the greatest area. Prices were reasonable.

Also agree that driving in Boston is a royal pain in the arse. Kept going around in circles on all one way streets that seem to be against you reaching a destination without going way out of your way, and also the Big Dig doesn't help. I recall getting stuck in standstill traffic for over an hour on the way in to Boston going over the Tobin Bridge. And this was at 1am!

See if you can find a hotel near the T, otherwise be prepared to stay in a cheaper hotel,,,(or you can always try Priceline!)
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 01:19 PM

This from another re-located Bostonian, DONT try and drive in town. The traffic will be a nightmare, especially that weekend. There will be tons of people visiting because of the marathon one of the biggest events in Boston all year long.

I would also suggest staying at one of the hotels just outside the city and commuting in.

We have stayed at the Sheraton which is litterally over the Mass Pike, and there is a parking garage and easy access to the MBTA. We got rate of $79 a nite. That was a few months ago.

You also might check some of the hotels in the Framingham area, which is just west of town.

Check the Sheraton website and also hotels.com and priceline for any deals that might be available that weekend, but know you need to book QUICKLY as hotels will be completely full that weekend.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM

It's way late (but do check Hotwire and consider using Priceline) to be booking a hotel in Boston April 17, due to the aforementioned Marathon. The most "effective way to see the sites" is to book a downtown hotel, then find reasonably priced (as opposed to the outrageous valet parking charged by most downtown hotels). Can you change your dates? If not... Good luck!

For this particular weekend, you definitely won't save much (and could pay more) booking in the suburbs.

If you are able to book a hotel in downtown Boston and environs at this late date, take care of that first. Then, worry about overnight parking.

Your problem is not driving into Boston, but once there paying a somewhat reasonable price to park your car for the duration, as you will not need it, or want to use it, to "see the sites".
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, for taking the time to respond! You were all so helpful. I neglected to mention that we are arriving on April 18th and staying at the Seaport Hotel until Wed, April 21 at which point we will need another place to stay until April 24th. We tried Hotwire, and there's a very reasonable place in the Lowell/Billerica/Chelmsford area. Is that too far to drive to a subway stop? We are also hoping to drive to Cape Cod. Is it better to take a tour? Thanks again for your help.

Jeff and Sue
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:40 AM

Lowell/Chelmsford/Billerica is WAY too far out - about 30 miles from Boston and not a tourist area at all. Lowell is an old mill city which has undergone some incredible revival, but still has some awful areas. There is a commuter MBTA rail from Lowell - but a caution with any location on commuter rail is that trains run frequently during standard commuter hours and are few and far between at other times. Also, depending on location, parking lots at many MBTA commuter rail stations and further-in subway stations are full well before 8 AM each day.

Chelsea Wyndham is actually about a mile from where I work in Chelsea. It is on a busy street with produce trucks and oil delivery trucks going at all hours of the day and night. There is a creepy auto repair places across the street, a sub shop and a restaurant about a quarter of a mile away - that is it. There must be some sort of pub lic transportation into Boston from close by, but I am unaware of it. Like many places in Boston (see post above about Revere/Boston) hotel), what is close in mileage may be long on time and aggravation to get into Boston.

Driving to Cape Cod, on the other hand, should not be a problem. Avoid rush hour traffic and it is fine. You should have less trouble finding a hotel for the mid-week time you need, but prices will still be high. (they always are - we travel a lot and Boston has the highest rates we have seen anywhere)
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:00 PM

Hi again. Gail is absolutly right...don't go there. The Cape is very nice and quiet in the off season, but bear in mind that where on the cape you might stay will make a big difference re: the commuting distance to Boston. There are so many great things to take in all around the area, if you have your own car, why not look for lodging opportunities to the north, west and south! It's really not a huge metro area, but the sightseeing opportunities abound! Don't be afraid of Inn's and B&B's in New England. If you do a bit of research, and find the amenities you seek. Normally, I'm a "nice hotel" girl when traveling; but around here there are a number of establishments which offer excellent accomodations, for great prices, all over the area. It's just that the best towns to stay in have zoning restrictions which prohibit a chain hotel of any type, in order to preserve the historical integrity. Also, this is the quiet season around\\ there, so you can probably get a great room at a great price - just call and ask. Clearly I favor the north shore, "my hometown". .."the spirit of '76 lives here" (literally - the original painting hangs in our town hall! - where I got married..) Just be on notice, we all drive like lunatics. So my advice is: stay in NICE towns, in a nice place, accessible to the T. and explore and have fun! Please share your experiences when you get back, or post any questions. You'll have a great time!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:28 PM

Since you don't need a hotel until the 21st you have a few more options. Have you tried the Marriott in Quincy, MA? As is often the case, and was noted in this thread regarding a property in Revere, the hotel is billed as Boston Marriott Quincy on their website but it is definitely away from downtown in a suburb of the city. However, Quincy is only 8 miles south of Boston, and the location is easy on and off from the expressway that you would take to the Cape. It looks like the hotel offers complimentary parking and if they don't have a shuttle to the "T" I think it is within walking distance.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:37 PM

The T is a 5 minute walk from this Marriot,which is only a few years old. It is in an area away from anything else of interest, but Rt. 3 and 128 are right there. It is 10 minutes to downtown Boston without traffic, but during rush hours at least an hour.Cape Cod - Hyannis- which is Mid-Cape is an hour and a half away.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:41 PM

This is all good advice. Still, I think it would be a shame to drive all the way from Michigan, to stay in Quincy or Revere. (The names may sound quaint, don't be fooled.) This is a great time of the year took take advantage of good deals on lodging in various really nice environs of Boston! If you are interested in seeing "sites" historical, I think your best bets are west (i.e. Concord/Lexington) or North (Salem, Marblehead). No reason you can't easly do both! Go for it!
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:46 AM

For the second segment of your stay, if you still want to be in the Boston area, I would recommend Brookline. The Mariott Courtyard and Holiday Inn are both nice, and there is excellent public transportation from there. You might also look into other spots, since you have a car (like the southern coast of Maine- less than 90 min., Newport, RI -less than 2 hours. There are countless lovely places within 2 hours of Boston.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 05:19 PM

If all else fails, don't be afraid to park at the airport. You can still take the T to and from.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM

I used to live in Boston and still love to visit as often as possible. The last time we stayed in town we booked a room at The Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro on Charles Street in Beacon Hill. It was such a fun weekend for us. You can walk to almost anywhere in the city from this location. You can poke around the antique stores on Charles Street. Walk through the public gardens (which will be beautiful at that time of year) over to Newbury Street where there are great art galleries and shopping. You can even walk over to the South End (a little far from Beacon Hill but doable) where you will find so many incredibly good restaurants.

We parked our car at the Boston Common Parking Garage and walked everywhere. I am not sure, but I think they have weekend rates.

Please don't stay in Chelsea. I don't think you want to drive from Michigan to stay in Chelsea (no offense to anyone). If you can't or don't want to stay in Boston, try Cambridge or Brookline (which is on the green line and easily accessible to Boston).

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:18 PM

Hi,

I have lived in Chelsea for 6 years (in Admiral Hill) which is the only good section of the city. The Windham is a few blocks from my house - I would be afraid to walk the two blocks down to the hotel alone in the daytime. Do not stay there!!!

Public transportation from Chelsea is non-existant. You'd have to drive to East Boston (no parking) or to Wellington in Medford.

I second the idea to stay out someplace on the Blue Line. In my opinion it's the safest. The cities that it touches are the nicest.... stay in Swamscott, Marblehead - even Salem. Drive to the blue line. The only drawback is that it will take you 30-45 minutes to get to Boston.

My number 1 choice would be to stay in the city - but if cost is an issue this is a good alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -