Which 2 islands to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, doing some research on Hawaii trip. We will have 10 days, not interested in cruise. Have never been before. We live in Midwest city, no direct flights to Hawaii. Planning to go around mid October. Which 2 islands should we visit and how long in each.

We are planning a multi-city destination with an inter-island trip and rental cars in each place. Travelers are mother (50s) and DD (23). We are not athletic and I certainly could not do much hiking or long-distance walking. We love water sports like swimming at the beach or pool, nature (want to see interesting wildlife and plants). Love sightseeing. Would like to do a glass bottom day boat ride or sailboat ride, maybe a helicopter ride. We do horseback ride.

Any and all suggestions for food, lodging, rental agencies, tour or travel agencies (no sightseeing, just hotel, rental car and airfare), things of interest would be welcome. Thanks Fodorites!
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 12:04 PM

LBloom, you shoulda asked, "Which island is best?". Haha

For 10 nights, I'd do two islands at most, or even just one.

If I could park myself at a Kapalua condo, with a view, I'd stay put for 10 nights!

If you want a high-end resort, the Mauna Lani on Hawaii is wonderful. Also the next door Fairmont Orchid.

A good mid-priced condo complex where we've stayed three times is Sea Village, below Kona on the Big Island.

The Hilton Waikaloa is too family-oriented, formwhat you want IMO.

Kauai is the island I want to return to. The Grand Hyatt is where we stayed there.

You really can't go wrong anywhere in the state of Hawaii!
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 12:07 PM

I forgot to mention that we also liked the mid-priced Napili Point condos.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Does this mean you aren't going to Italy??
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Deb, we are researching both Italy and Hawaii for the same timeframe - mid October. We realize they are very different types of trips. Hawaii would be more relaxation and while fun, Italy would be a little grueling (at least for me) as my feet have been giving me issues. Didn't want to post my maladies here, but waiting to see what orthopedic surgeon says. I would prefer Italy, but depends on my physical health. Thanks for asking. How was Denver? Will be there Mother's Day weekend. Hoping for announcement from my Harvard-bound kids. We will be meeting his family for the first time that weekend.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 01:26 PM

Denver was ok; hubby worked while I visited and played.

Don't know if you went back to your thread about apartments in Italy. I left some recommendations...

I have a long trip report on HI. Several years back, but most of it should still be relevant. You'll have to search.

2 islands, tops. BI and Maui would be my choices. Oahu is nice, but has lots of traffic and more of a city feel to it.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 02:04 PM

All the islands have something to offer - but if you have not seen the north shore beauty (Bali Hai) of the Garden Island - Kauai - you are really missing something.

Our second - almost a co-favorite island is Big Island - as there is so much to see and do - including an easy way to see a Volcano.

Maui gets the most visitors - outside of Oahu - and has beautiful beaches and there are places on Oahu where you can get away and think you are on an outer island.

And if you really want it slower - go to Molokai or Lanai.

Can't really go wrong no matter what you do.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 03:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All the islands offer everything you mention For a first trip, I'd go with Oahu and Maui.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 03:36 PM

<Oahu is nice, but has lots of traffic and more of a city feel to it.>

That applies to Honolulu/Waikiki area... I don't think the entire island of Oahu has a "city feel".
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 03:51 PM

But that is a large part of the island, suze.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM

No it's not, you need to look at a map of Oahu.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 04:06 PM

We have always 'flown through' Oahu, after making our connection there. The first impression you get is of a Miami beach stretch of high rise hotels on the beach. Not exactly what we want in visiting Hawaii. I know you can go to the north shore and elsewhere, but it still will never have the feeling of the other islands because you see Honolulu/Waikiki first.

We've stayed on all the Hawaiian islands, except Lanai and Oahu.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 04:07 PM

> You didn't mention it, but snorkeling is a favorite water sport in Hawaii, and the best place for that is the Big Island.
> Kaua'i probably best fits here, the interesting wildlife being the chickens you'll see wherever you go. Or the Big Island, where you'll see mongoose (mongeese?).
> Best bang for the buck is again Kaua'i, where you've got the exotic, tropical north shore, the Napali Coast, Waimea Canyon, rugged coastline, beautiful beaches, waterfalls, all on the smallest of the four major islands. Maui's nice too, but you have to drive a road with 620 curves and 59 one-lane bridges, or get up and drive to the top of a mountain before dawn to see much of it.
> Best boat rides are a tour of the Napali Coast on Kaua'i and/or a sailboat trip from Maui to Lana'i with Trilogy.
> Kaua'i, no question. Big Island would be interesting if there were active volcano flows to be seen.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 04:23 PM

I'm with Suze on this. It takes several hours to drive around Oahu and maybe 30 minutes to drive through Honolulu/Waikiki, allowing for traffic, other than during rush hour.

There are so many beautiful things to see--Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, the Blowhole, Kailua and Lanikai beaches (usually almost empty), Nuuani Pali Lookout, Chinaman's Hat, the mountains coming down to the shore on the "back" side of the island, the little town of Haliewa--not to mention Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial, the Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Shangri La Estate, Chinatown, the Polynesian Cultural Center, Punchbowl Cemetery, a luau.

Maybe you can tell that Oahu is my favorite island, but to choose you really should spend a little time at your public library or a bookstore looking at the travel guides. My second choice for a first trip would be Maui, but all the islands are beautiful, and you really can't go wrong. If you want "laid back," Kauai is less busy. The Big Island of Hawaii has the active volcano.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 04:42 PM

We just visited Hawaii for the first time, flying into Oahu so we could visit Pearl Harbor and see some of the LOST filming sites, and then moved to Maui for my brother-in-law's wedding. It was the right mix of a bit of time in a large city and a lot of nature and beautiful scenery.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 04:49 PM

10 days usually means 9 nights and you leave on the 10th day. is that the case with your trip? If so, I would pick one island and plant myself. You lose part of the day in flight over unless you leave from West Coast where you gain a few hours but by the time you pick up a rental car (necessity on all islands except Oahu)and get to your destination (condo renting then you will want to stop and shop for food), the day is shot so you really have 8 1/2 days. IMHO that is NOT enough for more than 1 island. Oahu has most activity for people, if you like to shop, be with people, etc. They have some good snorkeling but you need to drive to get there, take a tour or hop the city bus to get there. You can rent a car for a day trip around the island or plan on staying in Northshore for a few days which is totally different than Waikiki area. each has its benefits. Kauai to me is the most beautiful and relaxing. Still many fun things to do. Bike riding on flat paved road along the ocean in Kapaa, Snorkeling in several areas, great walks (not necessarily hard hikes) tubing down old plantation canals, snorkeling trips on boats with lunch provided, beach time, NOT a lot of shopping centers but a new one in Poipu Beach area. North shore is a must for beauty and funky Hanalei. We have been to Kauai 13 times and never tire of it. Big Island is quite unique in that it has a green and wet side and a dryer volcanic side where black lava rock line the roads but the beaches are fabulous especially Hapuna Beach and the beach at the Mona Kea Resort. Kailua-Kona is very funky with several condos and some hotels but not any big resorts. They are more in the Kohala area about 30 minutes drive from airport. Good luck in finding your paradise.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 05:14 PM

Here we go again with the one island advocates.

It's easy to fly from one island to another - and if you start on Big Island (just take a flight from Honolulu when you arrive) - and then fly back from Kona - there lots of flight choices. See if you can even check your bags through when you arrive - or when you fly from Kona to Kauai, or whatever you choose to visit.

And from the smaller Inter-island airport terminal at Hono - (which is easy to navigate - as are all the smaller - outer island terminals)it's only a 20 minutes flight to the Garden Island of - Kauai.

An hour or so later - you are looking at the incredibly blue ocean from your condo/hotel at Princeville or Hanalei - or from a guest cottage/ along the ocean.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM

As far as how long to visit each island - it could also depend on what kind of deals you get - but if it were me - I would try to first fly into Hilo - and then visit the Volcano - and then double back to Hilo and across the North end - thru the Parker Ranch town of Waimea - and wind up at say the beautiful Mona Kea hotel for your first night - or one of the resorts north of Kona - where there are rarely any VOG problems.

Then - after say 3 nights - finish up with a week or so kicking back on the North Shore of Kauai - or wherever else you decide to go.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 05:50 PM

"An hour or so later - you are looking at the incredibly blue ocean from your condo/hotel at Princeville or Hanalei - or from a guest cottage/ along the ocean."

Malarkey!!

You think in an hour someone can
pack up,
check out,
gas the car,
return the car,
check in at airport,
go through security,
fly (20 minutes???),
collect bags,
get rental car,
drive to new place,
AND check in at new place??

No way.

That's why people recommend staying on one island.

We have stayed on the Big Island for two weeks: one week in a hotel, one week in a condo. Two different areas if the island.

Shar is right about the real time the OP has. I'd only jump islands if I had 14 nights.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

We plan to leave on Monday 10-13 from the Midwest and return home Thursday 10-24. There are no non-stop flights from our city (CMH) to anywhere in Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -