Reload this Page >

Where's the best steak in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Sue

We'll be staying in Times Square. Where can we find the best steak - moderate to expensive, not requiring coat and tie. Thanks for your help!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Mr. Ed

Tad's Steaks! Yum!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Ted

www.zagat.com

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:38 PM
me

Make a trip to Peter Luger in Brooklyn. If you want to stay in Manhattan, try either Smith & Wollensky or the very pricey Palm.

Tad's is the cheapest steakhouse on this planet. Yuck!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:41 PM
xxx

Sue, Mr. Ed, was obviously joking -- he is a talking horse after all, isn't he.
No one who has ever eaten a real steak would recommend Tad's. Trust me!

Peter Luger's #1 But you need to book months ahead.

Smith and Wollensky #2

Michael Jordan's gets great reviews, can't comment personally.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Frank

Sparks Steakhouse, you can't beat it.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Sharon

Palm, Palm Too (most casual of three), Palm West
Sparks (may be most expensive)
Morton's
Peter Luger
Smith & Wollensky
Never heard of Tad's...don't trust response.
Zagat.com good suggestion...check the places out for yourself online. Also, I went to Michael Jordan's...it was fine, but small portions for the $...I'd recommend the others mentioned above before Jordan's.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:24 PM
thereuare

If you want the best steak in NY, go to Peter Luger's, no matter what time of day you can get a reservation (you should be able to get an "off hour" reservation not on a Fri or Sat).

PLEASE stay away from Smith and Wollensky, as the only thing more unsatisfying than the steaks is the service! This steak house has rested on its reputation for so many years now that i don't even use the word "good" anymore.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Bert

The Old Homestead Steakhouse in Manhattan, Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Mrs. Gotti

Spark's Steak House?

Fuhgettaboutit!!

You are watching too much A & E Mob Stories!!!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:04 AM
me

Nothing beats Peter Luger's.

As for the rest, I have experienced or heard great things about:
- Palm
- Post House

Not so great things about:
- Smith & Wollensky
- Sparks

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:06 AM
John

Sue:

Ben Bensons can go "toe to toe" with any great steak resturant in NYC..and Brooklyn!
52st off sixth ave.
JOHN

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:45 AM
gc

Michael Jordan's is good...you need to want to eat in the great hall of Grand Central, though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gallagher's. That get's my vote.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Owen O'Neill

If you want great steak with a casual atmosphere (definitely not a coat and tie required type of place), Gallagher's is a good choice. I'm sure that for the purist, S&W, Peter Luger's et al may be a bit better but Gallagher's has an amazing lunch special for $20.02 (they did a few months ago - hopefully they still have it). If you can make lunch the big meal of the day it's a fantastic value - starter, entree with side (filet was one of the entree choices) and dessert. It was probably the best value for the $$ meal I've ever had in NYC. At dinner their prices are far from moderate but that lunch special was (is?) unbeatable.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:57 AM
annie

Sue:
I agree with Gallagher's. I find a lot of folks here at Fodor's don't like it. I have never been disappointed.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Jess

My choices, in order of my personal preference, are:
1. Sparks--perfect everything--atmosphere, service, drinks, and most inportantly, steak. Chef cooks exactly as you order it.
2. Strip House. A little different, skews younger and more women. Very good steak, incredible sides.
3. Post House. Good food, a bit over priced and a very male, expense account vibe.
10. Smith & Wollensky. Definitely coasting on its old reputation. Overpriced, mediocre steak, harried testy service, and an insanely overpriced wine list. Nothing under $70 or so my last trip.
Even never having eaten there, I would say the best is Peter Luger's. Palm can be very good, but can also have terrible nights, according to my boyfriend.
For something a little different, you could try an Argentinian steakhouse, like Pampa. Not Luger's, but very good a not what you would find at the usuak steak place at home.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:56 AM
arf

Stay away from Sparks and Smith and
Wollensky-terrible.
Peter Lugas is the best. Gallaghers second.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:58 AM
j

The Palm West (50th btw Bway & 8th), particularly if you're staying in Times Square. Zagat's and many NY'ers rate Peter Luger's #1, but aside from the fact that it's a trip to get there, it's not my kind of steak. The steaks are not charbroiled and instead are dripping in butter. As for price and atmosphere, they are all pretty much the same, $30 for a huge steak (a single can probably be shared), and casual to dressy, depending on your mood. The Palm West, unlike the other Palms, has a pleasant atmostphere, and the service is warm and efficient. Just thinking of their delicious steak, potatoes, onions and creamed spinach makes me hungry!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:03 AM
JKNYer

I've never been that impressed by Peter Luger's having eaten there a number of times, but if you do go BRing plenty-o-cash! (or get a Peter Luger Charge card - last time I checked, still no MC or VISA accepted)
MY Personal all time favorites are
1. Old Homestead (they have great Seafood too - unlike P.L.!)
2. Sparks
3. Gallaghers

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:23 AM
lena

Frankie and Johnny's. It's close to Time Square, I don't remember exactly where.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -