Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where's a family to go after Niagara Falls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope to take at least 2 of my sons to Niagara Falls this August for our family vacation...I want them to see and experience this awesome part of nature. I have a rm at the Embassy Suites Fallsview on the Canadian Side for 3 nights already reserved. Planned to fly into Buffalo which would give us 2 1/2 days to really enjoy the sights and activities on both sides of the falls. However, I'm struggling w/ what to do for an additional 4 days. Initially, I had thought we would spend it in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and while this is a beautiful place, I don't think my 21 and 17 yo sons would enjoy it. I then thought we would go to Toronto to see some plays, baseball, and enjoy the city life. The Blue Jays don't have a single home game while we would be in town, I haven't had luck w/ the theater schedule, and now I'm questioning being in the "city" during the summer. We could visit Cooperstown and the locks, but I prefer to be based in 1 place rather than drive to different location each day visiting around the area.

I'm envisioning a more relaxing time by a lake while the boys are out canoeing or playing in a pool or hiking...a family resort where we can have some freedom w/ either a dining facility on site or restaurants nearby. We have spent lots on time in nat'l parks the last few years so I'm looking for more of that rustic and fun atmosphere. Plus, if I can make it enticing enough, I hope my 23 yo son will join us for at least a few days of this vacation.

Posting this on the US board to start, but maybe you will recommend I ck on the Canadian board. Don't mind driving 5-6 hrs to arrive at destination and flying open-jaw, and might even add a couple of days to vacation. Have never been to Catskills or Adirondack Mountains and don't know if these are too far to drive if stay less than a wk. And if this is a good idea, where to start?

Obviously, I need lots of advice and guidance since nothing feels right. You have been so helpful in the past and hope you can help me pull this vacation together to make it fun and appealing to Mom and older boys.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Cooperstown for the Hall of FAme?
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM

Catskills are too far, Adirondacks aren't. There are probably things around Lake George that would appeal to you, and there is good canoeing on Lake George. There are lots of lakes in Western Ontario too, and good vaction spots. The area in and around Parry Sound tends to be very popular.
Toronto is a very lovely city, too, and even without baseball is a nice destination for several days. I love Kingston, Ontario, too, but it really is good only for a couple of days.
The Canadian side of Lake Ontario makes a good driving circuit, and you could start in Niagara Falls, visit Niagara-on-the-Lake and Toronto, and end up in Kingston. If you wanted to do that, you might get more info on the Canadian board.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Might they be interested in watching the boats rise and fall on the nearby (to Niagara-on-the-Lake) Welland Canal?

If so, an easy drive to Lock #4 and the viewing stand.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:13 AM

I live in the Niagara area and do a lot of hiking, mountain biking and kayaking here. After you see the falls, you and your sons should explore the Niagara Glen Hiking area (if you aren't aware of this already). It is further down the Niagara Parkway just before Queenston Heights going towards Niagara on the Lake (http://www.niagaraparks.com/nature/niagaraglen.php). The Bruce Trail also starts in Queenston and the Greater Niagara Circle Route (http://www.regional.niagara.on.ca/go...r/default.aspx) is a great way to see many sites while hiking, biking, etc.

Away from this area within a 3.5-hour drive is a place that we are going camping in a few weeks - Watkins Glen State Park in the Finger Lakes Region of New York - half hour drive from Ithaca/Cornell University. The views along the Gorge Trail are absolutely stunning and quite overwhelming. We've hiked in the Grand Canyon and when we first experienced this area last October were amazed at the comparable beauty and intimacy of this nature area. (http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/watkins.shtml) We've also camped and hiked at Letchworth State Park - often called the Grand Canyon of the east - this is about a 2 hour drive from Niagara - there is an inn and lodges for accommodations.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM

I wish I could suggest a specific resort, but I have to believe you can find a nice place like that on the Finger Lakes somewhere.

I'd also like to mention that both Rochester (Redwings) and Buffalo (Bisons) have AAA baseball teams, so you could take in some baseball if you wanted to.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:17 PM

If they like baseball, then I would def. suggest the Hall of Fame or catch a Buffalo Bisons minor league game.. But if you want to experience nature I suggest either the Adirondacks (Lake George is too far) or the 1000 Islands in Northern NY.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Momof3-you are getting some great ideas. I live between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Letchworth and Watkins Glen are great for hiking, camping, etc. and August is a great time of year here-hot but not unbearably so. toronto is also great. Similar weather-even at its hottest, its ok in the summer. There are lots of vacation areas north of toronto-traffic can be a nightmare on weekends, but during the week, not too bad. I would go to the canadian boards for more advice, but lots of water activities (fishing, boating, etc.) I love Niagara on the Lake but more for its theatre and cute shops than anything else. There are a lot of wineries in the Niagara area too. Buffalo has great architecture, lots of festivals all summer long, lots of lakefront and there are beaches on both US and Canadian sides of the great lakes.
Since you mentioned baseball, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are both relatively close to Bufflo/Niagara-Cleveland about 3 hours, Pittsburgh about 3 1/2. Both are nice cities for a few days and might have baseball available. Your sons might be interested in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for being so helpful. I posted my question yesterday AM and have been working on the high school after prom party ever since. Usually I have time to ck responses and "relax" by planning my vacation, but not now!

Yes, sylvia, I meant the Baseball Hall of Fame which I think is close to NF. Maybe I'm mistaken or got the wrong town. Persimmondeb, you have given me some great advice, but I need to pull out a map and ck out the sites you offered. I liked your suggestion of NF-NOTL-Toronto-Kingston. I haven't heard of Kingston so will definitely look into this further - short on time heading to son's soccer game! Dukey, I had heard of the Welland Canal from this forum which sounds interesting and exactly the type of place we can make a short educational stop.

Natf, another wealth of info! I need to spend some time exploring your suggestions and then will probably have more questions. I've read about others going to the Finger Lakes Region, but since I'm totally unfamiliar w/ this area, I need to do a little research - plus I'm terrible w/ geography! China cat second the Finger Lakes and good idea about AAA baseball. Mrsd2fan, we aren't huge baseball fans, but w/ 3 boys, sports is a big part of our lives and if something interesting is nearby, let's go whatever the sport! I just need to keep them busy while I enjoy the scenery!

Finally, Rachel, I may ck out the Canadian board if I follow others advice to explore along Lake Ontario. Cleveland and Pittsburgh - old family friends near Pittsburgh - hadn't thought of that direction and we would all love the Rock & Roll HOF in Cleveland.

Wow - heading in all different compass directions! What excellent and helpful advice. Now I need to do my homework, pull out a map, and google and ck out some of your suggestions on fodors. I appreciate your help and I may have more questions.
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM

Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame is 4-1/2 hours from Niagara Falls (it is east of Syracuse on the NYS Thruway) The Finger Lakes area would be great for you and is about 2 - 3 hours away depending where you stay. Hiking, lakes, some wine tasting if you wantedm defiantely relaxing and rustic if you are looking for that. If interested let me know and I'll give more specific details.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:02 AM

I would have suggested the Finger Lakes, but not sure the teenage sons would be interested in Wine Tasting...the Finger Lakes Region IS beautiful, but not sure the boys would be interested
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM

I think Toronto is a nice city to visit if you like cities. I don't think anyone mentioned but the Hockey Hall of Fame is there and who doesn't want to go to the top of the CN Tower?
I really enjoyed renting bikes over on Toronto Island too.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM

I agree. Toronto is extremely family friendly and less than 90 minutes from Niagra Falls, Canada. You could easily spend a week there.

Endless choices for families, but DO include a full day at the islands. Rent bikes once there and maybe spend a few hours at the amusement park.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
TaxFreeTravel

I grew up in Buffalo, got marrined in August in NF. Be prepared - it's VERY muggy in August! The Maid of the Mist may still be running - it's a real kick!

Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM

Hi Momof3boys -

I think that heading to Cleveland is a great idea. DH and I took our 2 teenage boys last year. Since we were coming from MA, we stopped at Cooperstown which you would have to skip. Then we went on to Cleveland and the R&R Hall of Fame. Took a one day side trip to Canton for the Football HOF. We really liked Cleveland and I think it would be nice in August with the breeze blowing in off Lake Erie. You could also drive about an hour west and go to the huge amusement park (the name escape me for about the 100th time). Anyway, our boys really enjoyed the whole trip.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM

I also recommend making a stop at the Welland Canal viewing centre. If you catch a ship going through it's really fun to watch.

I have to agree, NOTL won't be of much interest to most young men, unless they like shopping.

Another vote here for Letchworth State Park. It's south of Rochester, so an easy drive from Buffalo. The hiking there is fabulous. We love it there.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM

shaz60,
The amusemnet park you're
thinking of is Cedar Point.
cedarpoint.com
I agree, it totally lives
up to its rep as the worlds
greatest amusement partk.
To the OP:
Cedar Point has something like
17 roller coasters, including
the fastest, tallest and more.
(note to self: Plan a trip
soon!)
Also agree the Rock Hall is
fun and your sons would
love it.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to each of you for your responses and ideas. I have cked maps, googled sites you recommended, read and read and read, and have finally made a decision that feels right and a reservation has been made!

After 4merlot let me know that Cooperstown was 4 1/2 hrs from NF, I eliminated that idea unless we were headed to the Finger Lakes which was a strong possibility. The region looked wonderful, but which one of those fingers and where to stay?! Still considering Toronto and the city life, but after the busyness of NF, I felt that rustic would compliment this vacation - hiking, water activities, sitting on a front porch of an inn, boys playing football on the lawn - and decided to save Toronto for a visit dedicated to it alone. Kingston sounded interesting, but I couldn't find the right place to stay and decided to save it for the Toronto trip. AND then several of you threw me a curve and I started considering Cleveland and Canton - again city life but the Football HOF and the Rock & Roll HOF w/ a great amusement park. So many choices! I looked at Pittsburgh and area w/ family friends but decided too far to travel. I thought about extending our days in NF beyond 3 nights and relaxing day-tripping to NOTL, minor league baseball, and Welland Canal and maybe even take the Maid in the Mist TWICE if we wanted and relax and enjoy.

Nothing was quite the right combo until several of you mentioned Letchworth State Park. It looks gorgeous on the website, you recommended it, AND it had an inn called the Glen Iris. You can hike, water activities such as canoeing, whitewater rafting (if right time), hot air ballooning, historical sites, horseback riding, a restaurant on site plus no cell phone service and a laid back atmosphere. I researched some more, read trip advisor reviews and thought there is no way I'll be able to get a reservation.

I DID! So, thanks to all of you, we will be flying into Buffalo w/ 3 nts at the Embassy Suites Fallsview experiencing all the sights and activities on US and CA sides plus trips to Welland Canal (hope for ship!) and NOTF for look-see, stroll, and ice cream. Heading to The Glen Iris Inn in Letchworth SP for 4 nights to relax after the glitter of NF and connect to nature and family. This will be a waterfall vacation and now I'm excited! Just need to find those great airline rates to be perfect!

Thanks again for pulling me through yet again!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:15 AM

PERFECT!!! Your plans sound perfect!
I know how much we love Letchworth...and the Glen Iris Inn. Be sure to go to the visitor's centre when you get there. They have lots of great information.

You can visit the Welland Canal and NOTL on the same day.
Head down the Niagara Parkway to NOTL , enjoy the beautiful drive, stroll, have your ice cream (mmmm), and head to the Welland Canal from there. IT's not far.
THen you could zip back to Niagara Falls on the highway.

Have a great time.