Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where would you go for mother-daughter long weekend trip this fall?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Christie

My mom (mid 50's) and I (29) have been wanting to take a "girls' trip" for quite a while, and now that the airfares and hotels are such good deals, we want to go sometime in November. We'll be leaving from Dallas, Texas/ DFW airport.

Things we like to do:
Shopping (not at malls) for antiques, crafts, flea markets
Fun dining experiences
Bed and Breakfast hotels
Historic and scenic sights
We both love to snorkel if we're at a beach

Places we have considered:
Savannah, Georgia
Charleston, South Carolina
San Francisco, California
Cancun, Mexico

SO....Where should we go?

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Judi

San Francisco and the Bay Area are great in the fall....wine country is beautiful, full of wonderful antique shops and B&Bs.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Arabella

Charleston offers everything you listed except for snorkeling -- a little too cold for that in November. I think it surpasses your other choices in B&Bs and in historic/scenic sights.

If you want a warm-weather destination, go to Mexico in November and plan a visit to Charleston in the spring when the city is in bloom.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 07:42 AM
OliveOyl

Charleston definitely Christie. You and your mom are same ages as my daughter and I and we had one wonderful weekend there, and I've been with my husband several times. Although men enjoy Charleton, women love it. There are plenty of B&B's, some excellent restaurants, good shopping in small shops and antique stores along King St and a stunning historic district, plus a couple of plantations not too far off. We lived in Savannah and though I love that city as well, think Charleston is the better destination.

There will be no swimming then of course, but plenty to keep you busy otherwise.

We went to Cancun when we lived in Dallas. It's an inexpensive and quick flight, but we were all so disappointed in it. Snorkeling is only so so in Cancun, and the area was so Americanized it hardly seemed as if we'd left the US!

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 04:06 PM
dembody

Charleston,SC or ST.Augustine, Fl would definatly get my vote.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Lynn

CHARLESTON!!! My favorite!!! I go to Charleston on shopping sprees with friends about once a year - I stay at the Charleston Place Inn - but there are so many wonderful B&B's and other inns to stay at....It is a lot of fun, and I always find some really fun and happening Blues bars to go to after dinner - but the homes, peeking thorugh the gates into the courtyards - they are like secret gardens, great stores, lots of history, carriage rides, adn I can go on and on - I live near St. Augustine and was there the other weekend - looked run down and not all that impressive or fun anymore - just a tourist trap

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 04:59 PM
ryan

Although you did not indicate the time of year of travel, forget about snorkeling in SF without a 3/4 inch wetsuit. Water temps are in the 50-57 degrees range year-round.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 05:02 PM
ryan

Sorry; see you say November - all the worse for snorkeling/diving/swimming in No. Cal.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Paige

I would recommend Charleston. My husband, daughters, and I have spent many, many happy weekends there. As a matter of fact, my husband and I are going this month and found a wonderful place to stay through Historic Charleston Bed & Breakfast - www.charleston.net/com/bed&breakfast -
Lots to do, excellent food, cozy little bistros for drink and coffee, shopping from elegant antiques to handwoven sweetgrass baskets (wonderful Christmas gifts) and you will feel as safe walking about after dark in the historic area as you would in your neighborhood at home.

I could go a hundred times and enjoy it every time.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 11:48 AM
tannya

I took my mom to Savannah for 4 days, just the two of us. It was wonderful and has most of what you enjoy. We stayed at The Foley House. Fireplaces in our room, all antique furnishings, wonderful service and friendly staff. Gourmet breakfast in our room each morning (fresh flowers and all!) Dinner out in Savannah is just a treat. The Sapphire Grill, Olde Pink House, Elizabeths on 37 were all places we fell in love with.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 01:16 PM
trav

Charleston - far & away the best choice. My grandmother & I took a trip this summer there and we LOVED it! A lovely place for a mother and daugher.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Brian Kilgore

Go to Montreal. Forget the water, of course, but everything else is waiting for you, at bargain prices in US dollars, with a worldiness you will almost certainly enjoy.

BAK