Where would you go?

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where would you go?

My husband and I are visiting family in Chicago for a week and would like to take another trip somewhere else for our last week. We would like to fly somewhere and are interested in surrounding states or even somewhere international. Where would you go?

Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:43 AM
GoTravel

From Chicago?

Vancouver Island would be lovely.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Depending on the time of year, but yes, Vancouver, Victoria, San Diego, San Francisco.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm from Alberta, Canada so I was thinking of the East Coast like Maine, etc.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM

If it is summer and you like a nice coast, rent a car and drive up the west side of Michigan all the way to Mackinac. There are goregous harbor towns all along the way. Traverse City and all the wineries there are great, Petoskey and Harbor Springs is wonderful, and of course Mackinac Island has to be seen. You could drive back to Chicago, or flying home out of Detroit would probably be easier.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:09 AM

when are you coming? will it be fall time? maybe you want to fly to New England for fall colors?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

We will be there in June.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Mexico.

-Bill
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the idea Kelliebellie. How many days would it take to drive from Chicago to Traverse City and then to Mackinac? Thanks again!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Cape Cod in Massachusetts is wonderful in June. the weather is warm but, most of the families with children do not arrive until July so the beaches are not crowded. My favorite place to stay is the Fort Hill Bed andBreakfast in Eastham (www.forthillbedandbreakfast.com), because it is the only lodging actually in the Cape Cod National Seashore. They are quiet, are surrounded by acres of open fields that lead to the marsh and Ocean, and have a historic house that looks out to the Atlantic. There are a lot of things to do, depending on your priorities, but everything is open in June so you can take your pick...nature walks, fine dining, shopping, browsing antiques, visiting quant fishing villages, whalewatching, birding kayaking, museums, guided tours, great seafood, or catching some live theater. The nice thing about staying on the outer cape in Eastham, aside for the non-commercil aspect, is that day trips to Provincetown, Chatham, Wellfleet and even Hyannis are only 30 minutes or less away, yet, the town is very low key and quiet. So if you are looking for taste of New England, I suggest Cape Cod!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:08 AM

I would plan on a day up and a day back with at least a day at each destination. It's not too far from Traverse City to Mackinac, but places to stop at. If you're looking to fill the week, then I would continue on to the UP and see the Soo Locks, Taquamenon (sp) Falls and along the northern coast.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:53 AM
JJ5

I second the week going up the L. Michigan shore. There are good B&B's all the way up. If you search on Fodors you'll find immense information on the "lighthouse" tour route.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this information. I think we are definitely going to take this road trip up. I was just wondering if there is one more beach town along the way that you'd recommend? A town that is approx. half way between Chicago and Traverse City?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM

The drive straight from Chicago to Mackinac is about 7 to 8 hours probably. I would definitly stop in Saugatuck. It is a very cute, artsy town. Here is a great b&b:

http://www.kingsleyhouse.com/

Here is a highly recommended b&b in Traverse. I haven't been there, but I've been to the winery and it is really nice. Good wine too!:

http://www.cgtwines.com/index_flash.php

Petoskey and Harbor Springs are great. Staffords run some great hotels and restaurants:

http://www.staffords.com/

And of course, if you can, a stay at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island would be wonderful. The prices are steep, but you have to realize that it includes breakfast and dinner. You have to be dressed well after 5 pm to be there.

http://www.grandhotel.com/

I think you will have a wonderful time. Michigan folk are incredibly friendly and the lakes are beautiful. We had a zebra mussel infiltration many years ago that has done terrible things to the life balance of the lakes, but has given us the benefit of incredibly clear water. The mussels filter out all the particles, so now you can see straight down to the bottom.

Oh, and don't forget Sleeping Bear Dunes. That is a sight to see!

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM

And here is a really nice magazine with articles on everything you'd want to see:

http://www.traversemagazine.com/

And it might be worth perusing back issues of Midwest Living at your library.