Where would you go?

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where would you go?

Planning a honeymoon in Sept. I'm torn between the Caribbean or Hawaii. My budget is between $6000-$8000. I'm not looking for nightlife, sightseeing...just relaxation, good beach, and ocean view. The negative on the caribbean is that it's hurricane season, but with Hawaii, I'm afraid it may be too touristy(i.e. too many kids). With my budget, where would you go?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:39 PM

I would definitely go to Hawaii. You could also go to Tahiti or Fiji.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:44 PM

September should be a good time to visit Hawaii. The kids are back in school by then, so I think you will find it to be one of the quieter times.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I'd pick Hawaii for a honeymoon. You should be able to do it nicely in your price range.

I'd me afraid of the Caribbean in Sept because of Hurricanes.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Hawaii definitely over the Carribean. Sept is right at the height of hurricane season, you don't want you honeymoon ruined by one, and many resorts/restaurants will be closed. Unless you're really willing to take that risk (which for a honeymoon I don't think is worth it), you're limited to the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco), which don't compare to Hawaii both in quality of hotels and the islands themselves.

Good advice to also consider Fiji, Bora Bora, etc. depending on how much time you have based on what you described. I actually went to an island on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia for the start of my honeymoon, it was wonderful.

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Your money would go farther in the Caribbean. And you're right that it's less touristy. I think it's much more romantic because of that mystique. Something that will be special and exclusive to you and yours.

But I live in Florida and don't really fear hurricanes. It seems more and more are heading elsewhere nowadays, the last few hitting the northeast while we've been high and dry -- for years and years. If you're really concerned, it's a good idea to buy travel insurance, especially for one's honeymoon.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:57 PM

I'd go with Hawaii too. I'm sure you will still find plenty of relaxation. Caribbean is nice but I think Hawaii or Tahiti would be more romantic.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:20 AM

The hurricane season in the eastern Pacific runs May 15 through November 30-two weeks longer than the Atlantic season. NHC.NOAA.gov. So, if you want one of those destinations or a guarantee, go ABC or change your wedding plans. I wouldn't let the remote possibility of a hurricane in Hawaii sway me. The last to hit, Iniki, arrived in September 1992. Before that, 'Iwa in 1982. We spent our honeymoon on a private island in the carribean-nothing exotic about it but slightly easier (2 planes, a taxi across an island followed by a boat trip) to reach from the east coast. If travel time was not a factor I'd pick Hawaii, Maui or Kauai, or both. Much larger and geographically varied. The children will be back in school.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Definitely check out the Tahitian islands! Moorea is very secluded, and unbelievably beautiful. The Caribbean can't compare (not to mention the threat of a hurricane)! With your budget, it is more than possible. I stayed at the Beachcomber Parkroyal (I think the name may have changed slightly since then--7 years ago), but the Sofitel also looked awesome, and there is a new resort brand called the Pearl that looks fabulous (over-the-water bungalows run about $400+ per night). I would skip the island of Tahiti itself because it is much more touristy than the other islands.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:17 AM

My vote for French Polynesia, too (Moorea, Bora Bora). If you work through a wholesale travel dealer (like GoGo Travel), you may be able to get a really good deal. We did! We just spent 9 days in Bora Bora and it was incredible. Food, etc. definitely more expensive than Caribbean, but the island is gorgeous, still really unspoiled, and the people are wonderful/hospitable. We stayed at an overwater bungalow at the BB Pearl Beach resort and had a view of the main island of Bora Bora and Mt Otenamu. The beach is ok, but the real advantage is being able to swim and snorkel off your own deck. They also have the nicest pool on the island.

Good luck in deciding what to do! Keep us in the loop!!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

An overwater bungalow in French Polynesia is unbelievably tempting. One problem though is the flight out of memphis(where I'd be leaving from) is about 18hrs. Makes for a long day...don't know if I'm up for that on my honeymoon. Hawaii is probably a little bit better flight for us. Where in Hawaii would be best for me to stay?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:34 AM

We flew to Tahiti from Pennsylvania via Los Angeles, and actually spent one night in LA both on the way over and back. It made the trip so much easier since it was broken up into two segments. I think Tahiti is only another 2-3 hours from Hawaii, so don't rule it out. Our flight from LAX to Papeete left after midnight, so maybe you could even get a day rate at a hotel and rest before your flight. French Polynesia is SO worth the effort it takes to get there, and how many people do you know who've been to Tahiti versus Hawaii? Much more exclusive and memorable as a honeymoon spot! Just my two cents.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Depending on how much time you have, the suggestion to break up the trip is a good. Stop in Hawaii and stay two or three days then head to Fiji!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

I've only got 8 days so I can't really stop in Hawaii for a couple days, although I'd love to. Stopping in LA each way is a great idea though. I'm going to have to look into that. If I go to Maui(either Four Seasons, Fairmont, or Grand Wailai) do I need to rent a car or are there restaunts and things nearby each of these? Which place is best? And will any of these even come close to the experience of a spending a week in an overwater bungalow in the South Pacific?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:31 AM

You should rent a car on Maui.

I have a reservation for the FS for Sept (counting the days...), but in my research I came across very mixed reviews for the GW and it definitely sounded more kid-oriented than the FS or the Fairmont. Of course, I'm sure others with first-hand knowledge will be better able to answer.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:11 PM

I'd choose Maui in a heartbeat
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM

If you don't want to go sightseeing, and only want a beautiful, secluded beach, I don't think Hawaii is right for you. Try another tack- You're looking to spend $6-8,000 on a week. There are some incredibly romantic, exclusive hotels right here in the States! One that comes to mind is Little Palm Island Resort in the Keys. I haven't stayed there, as it's not in my usual vacation budget, but for a honeymoon, you should take a look! There are 28 private bungalows, with complete privacy, and no "distractions." (No TV, phone, radio, etc.) The resort is a private island. And if you did decide you needed some "civilization" you can just take their shuttle back to the rest of the Keys, and go tooling around.

My point being that, if you think a little out of the box, you may come up with the most wonderful, unique honeymoon that fits your style. My suggestion above may mean less travel time, no currency changing, no Customs, etc. After the stress of a wedding, you may want to consider taking stress out of your honeymoon.

Congratulations!

PS- don't plan around hurricane season. There is no telling what can happen anywhere, anytime.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:22 PM

I think the issue with hurricane season in the Carribean is not the fear of a Category 4/5 hitting the island, but the fact that in September tropical storms will almost definitely be passing by - call it the rainy season, if you prefer. I think that is a good reason to avoid the Carribean for a honeymoon in September That is not the case in Hawaii, when summer is the dry season, and the chance of a tropical storm of any strength hitting the islands is very small. Personally, I wouldn't want to be at a nothing to do-type of beach resort with a couple of days of rain.

Probably with your budget and description the best choice I can think of sounds like French Polynesia.
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I live in Florida and like it but Sebtember is veeeerrryyyy hot , humid and unconfortable and swet it is not romantic.Hawaii is beaultifull, gorgeous, we went there last year in July and just love it(you can do anything or nothing ) .Have you thought about Alaska? Not a Alaska Cruise but staying in great hotels very secluded with optionals side trips( the senery is umbelivable).My husband and I are going to BC, Ca in July . Good luck
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:15 PM

I would choose Hawaii, although if you only have eight days, ouch. We were married in Hawaii almost ten years ago, during the month of Sept. and there were very few kids around. We returned in Feb this year, this time to the island of Kauai, and loved the beauty of the island. We were more than ready to explore as it was quite a tropical retreat.