Reload this Page >

Where would you go...

Search

Where would you go...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Droppingout

Where would you go...

...If you were leaving the rat race? And please don't suggest a relocation forum, because I don't think I can get better answers there.

People in my husbands company are dropping like flies (not dead, just losing their jobs). Rather then pound the pavement for god knows how long, while eating through our savings, I'm thinking he should retire early, or at least semi retire, and move out of our expensive neighborhood in the Northeast to someplace warmer, less expensive and slower paced, so..

Where can we look that we can be near the ocean, moderate temperatures, able to spend less than 600K for a nice, 3 bedroom house that we won't need a mortgage for, don't have to go too far for some culture, and has decent schools, we're not that old - 43 and 45, so we still have kids in middle school.

I was thinking Daniel Island near Charleston. Has anyone been? The homes are very reasonable, can't get any info on beaches there though. Any other ideas? I promise to check the relo boards once I get some ideas.

Thanks.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:57 AM
I

Oh such problems - able to retire at 45, buy a $600K home with no mortgage and yet are concerned about keeping up your cultural lifestyle.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Droppingout

Thanks for that great suggestion, I. You've been such a help.

And for your info, he doesn't WANT to retire, but if he loses his job, he may not have a choice. His industry isn't booming, especially for 45 year old execs.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Me

My suggestion would be to take a look at my old home town, San Diego.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:04 PM
xx

If you are not a troll and not trying to impress us, I would suggest buying a tropical isle with an airport.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:04 PM
mmm

I'd have to agree that there are lots of people with far worse economic problems.

San Diego is very expensive and has high unemployment, traffic and outrageous real estate costs.

Rather than just cry about the job market, why not start sending his resume out rather than sitting on a travel forum?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:09 PM
jvs

I would recommend Upstate Conneticut. You can assume the schools are pretty good and you are under 2 hours train ride from Manhattan.
Or maybe western Mass. Very tranquil and I think the schools are good there as well.
If good schools are your only limitation, have you considered boarding schools and going to a more remote location?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Droppingout

Thanks Me, for the only truly helpful response.

Why is it that people can't ask a simple question without being judged here? My husband has worked his a** off for over twenty years in a high stress industry. He earned whatever he has. It is highly doubtful that he will find another position like the one he has now. I think he deserves to get out of dodge, live in a less stressful environment where he doesn't have to earn the big bucks to keep up with the joneses. I'm sure with his drive, he won't sit home, he'll probably start some small business, completely unrelated to his current field. Is that OK with everyone here? Sheesh!

By the way Me, that is a good suggestion. I've never been to San Diego but it always comes up as a winner in the best places to live contests.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:13 PM
jb

our friends built an amazing house in Charlotte, NC for 1/2 as much as they cost in DC and they love it!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:14 PM
xxx

Daniel Island would be gorgeous but you can probably get oceanfront on Folly for a little more the 600K. I think oceanfront on Daniel is over a million. Mt. Pleasant is another option.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Droppingout

Thanks too, jvs. I have thought of private schools, but boarding school is out of the question, I couldn't stand to send my kids away to school, at least until college.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Droppingout

xxx, Where is Folly? Do you think they would have a website? Also, I'm not interested in a retirement community per se, as our kids need other kids to play with, and we might be a bit on the young side.

I appreciate the genuine responses.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:20 PM
xxx

if you don't mind me asking where in the Northeast are you from? (Inquiring minds want to know.) I am also from the Northeast I am also concerned about my job in the forthcoming year. I think I would look into the places that rank highly with the school system since you still have school aged children. I think with your obvious assets you could retire in your 40's and that is not a bad thing.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:23 PM
jvs

I find your response to some of the legitimate suggestions cantankerous and defensive. Whay did you bother asking?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:24 PM
xxx

Folly Beach is on James Island one of the other barrier islands of Charleston SC. Do a google search for Folly Beach. I have forgotten about Sullivans Island. The Charleston metro area is very nice and real estate values are pretty good. You would get a lot more house down here than you would in the Northeast.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Droppingout

We are in CT now, very close to NYC. We are able to do without a mortgage if we move elsewhere because as most people in the Northeast know, Real Estate prices have increased tremendously. In the last 12 years, our house has almost tripled in price.

I know 2 people who were formerly high paid professionals. One bailed out immediately, took the profits from his home and last I heard, was doing well earning a lot less in Raleigh Durham. The other has been looking for a job for 2 years, works at a wine store, and is in the process of losing his home. He has 3 children. That is a scenario I want to avoid.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Droppingout

Thanks xxx, I'll check all those suggestions.

jvc, sorry if you got that impression, it wasn't my intent.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Not Rich

I didn't see any defensive posts by Dropping Out in response to any of the helpful responses. And I don't blame her for being annoyed at the others! Sounds like her husband worked hard for what they have - they have every right to enjoy their hard-earned luxuries and to recieve respectful, thoughtful answers to their questions.
DRopping Out, have you considered the West Coast, especially areas of Oregon {ashland is lovely, but expensive and not on the ocean, unfortunately} or Washington?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Dolly

Hi there

I see that you get discouraged also with people who use this forum to insult anyone who asks a valid question. It seems like it's all over anymore. Anger, aggressiveness.

I know that some writers on this post call Myrtle beach "redneck" but when you get up closer to Little River and even over the border in NC to Southport - then there's many really nice places and affordable. Another nice area is in Florida on the west coast - Sarasota - it has a lot going for it and it's a great place to live. We've got a place there so I do kinda know about it. I'm from the northeast or mid-atlantic (DC area) and burnout and anger and aggressiveness has turned me off. I think I'm going to head down south where the people are cordial and non-confrontational.

Good luck with your house-hunting!!!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:39 PM
redneck

So if it's not important to keep up with the joneses, why have you been trying so hard?

By the way, stay away from the NW! The schools are horrible (snicker, snicker), it rains all the time (heeheehee), and we just hate foreigners with big bucks driving our housing market through the roof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -