Where/what to stay/see in CT

Jun 12th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Where/what to stay/see in CT

Hi.

We're planning a trip and we'll be driving CT in about 10 days coming down from Springfield Mass area before heading on to Boston. Just wondering the best things to see, which way for a scenic drive, etc on our way through. We were looking at driving down to New Haven, then taking 95 across to Boston. Let me know if you would deem that worthy to drive that far south to then cut across East, If so, we have a day (or possibly 2), should we use one to spend in New Haven or in Providence RI? Or skip going that far South and visit Hartford?

Thanks.
Jun 12th, 2016, 08:28 AM

If you're going that way it will be a much more beautiful drive if you take the Merritt Parkway.
Jun 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM

Other than Yale (campus and museums) and perhaps some pizza (my personal favorite is the mashed potato pizza at BAR, but others favor the traditional pies at Pepe's, Modern and Sally's), New Haven isn't really a tourist town. So maybe a half day there.
Jun 12th, 2016, 09:58 AM

If you are near Vernon CT (outside of Hartford) on I-84 and are looking for a NY Deli style place for lunch, stop at Rein’s.http://www.reinsdeli.com/Default.aspx
Jun 12th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Disclaimer I have not been to Rein's but:

1. Any restaurant that has "style" in the name is suspect
2. Their menu has many things that would never be on a NY Jewish Deli such as gouda on the brisket.

So it may have its own style, but it ain't NY Jewish Deli
Jun 12th, 2016, 12:35 PM

Their pastrami, corned beef and cheesecake is straight out of NY. Can't tell you much about the other menu items.
Jun 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM

"New York Style" means "don't cross the threshold if you keep Kosher".

But the meats are excellent, the complimentary half sour pickles are a treat, the potato salad is tasty, and it is a rare outpost of enjoyable food on the highway between NYC and Brookline.

Your cardiologist needs a new Range Rover, so stop in at Rein's, fress a bit, and make your cardiologist happy.
Jun 12th, 2016, 03:55 PM

If you have kids, stop at Dinosaur State Park, in Rocky Hill CT, about a mile off I- 91 on your way south.

Take exit 90 off I-95 and visit the Mystic Aquarium and or Mystic Seaport then head east on rt. 1 then take a right to go to Stonington Burrough to see the historic homes, some nice eating spots, etc.

Continue on to Watch Hill, RI and see the cute shops and dining spots and an antique carousel, a very nice beach and for a fancy lunch visit the Ocean House Hotel and eat on the veranda. Some nice cottages here too, but I hear that Taylor Swift has hers up for sale.
Jun 12th, 2016, 04:33 PM

The area you're considering is small. I'd suggest detouring a bit to the west and visiting some of the towns in CT's Northwest. Salisbury, Lake Town, Kent, Cornwall, etc. These are beautiful rural towns in the shadow of the mighty Taconic range, but with an extremely affluent air. The food's not great but that's Yankeedom (it's sort of looked down upon).

Then scoot across state to the southeast, as advised above.