Where to watch Macy's Fireworks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be back in NYC for 4th of July this year and would like to go see the fireworks in person. Can anyone recommend a great place to watch them? Restaurants are okay, we're not really interested in standing in a huge crowd on the FDR drive. Price isn't really an issue as it will also be DH's 30th birthday.

TIA!
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Approximately a million people watch the display in person - so I don;t see how you can avoid the crowd. I'm not aware of any restaurant that has a view of them - although there may be some (most are on the ground floor - so you see nothing.

I have a friend who lives on the east side in the low 30s and the view from their roof is great. Perhaps someplace that has a roof bar as far downtown as possible. Haven't been to any - so can't guarantee a view.
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:20 AM

The Water Club would have a good view if you want a restaurant. Many of the rooms at the Millenium UN Plaza (facing east) would have a view if you don't already have a hotel booked. I'd think the rooftop bar at the Shelburne Murray Hill hotel would have a view.

You might also consider one of the cruises. Bateaux NY is supposed to be a nice dinner cruise. They might have something special that night.

In previous years, people have also gone over to Roosevelt Island where they set up chairs I think to watch. This year that will probably be less attractive since the Roosevelt Island tram is out of order and you'd have to take a subway or bus to get there. Might be a lot less crowded. Here's a page with info from last year
http://gonyc.about.com/od/holidays/a/fourthofjuly.htm
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Second the Water Club recommendation - you have an amazing view. I would recommend making reservations ASAP. The food there is pretty good, but pricy. It's a nice ambiance for a 30th birthday or any other special occasion.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:37 AM
GoTravel

How's the view from the Ritz-Carlton in Battery Park? Anyone know?

Old May 15th, 2006, 07:25 AM

The Ritz offers a 4th of July fireworks viewing package, so I'd imagine the view would be great. There also views from the South Street Seaport.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:16 AM

I imagine the view from the Ritz Carlton BPC would be pretty good. We stayed at one of the water view rooms and you have amazing views of the water and Statue of Liberty. They have telescopes set up in each of the rooms on the water side, and they have a rooftop that is accessible to the guests.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I think last year was the first year since the centennial that they started having fireworks at the Statue of Liberty. As long as they continue that, views from the RC Battery Park will be good. But the main Macy's display is and has been on the east river and don't think the RC Battery park has any views of the east river. That's why the FDR, Roosevelt Island, Mill. UN Plaza, South Street Seaport all have good views. They're on the EAST side near the river.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM

We watched the fireworks last year from Battery Park, and definitely did NOT see the grand displays that you can see from the East Side. The park is a very nice place to spend the day, but if views are your ultimate goal, head east.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Hey New Yorkers, tell me this...
I stayed in a newly remodeled room WAY up at the Millenium UN Plaza.

MILLENNIUM UN PLAZA HOTEL
1 UN PLAZA
NEW YORK NY 10017
1-212-758-1234

The view of the city and river was astounding.
When talking to the sales person at the hotel, she mentioned that this was an awesome place to watch the fireworks display. She pointed to the river and said this is where they shoot them off.
I agreed, even though I had no clue what display she was referring to...
Possibly this is a great location???
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:01 AM

The clerk was referring to the main display on the E. River. I'll bet that would be a great place to watch the fireworks.
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:11 AM

Yes the UN Plaza IS a great place to watch the fireworks which is what I said twice.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Grrrr.... sorry mclaurie.
I was in a hurry when I posted and did not read all the responses.
But I will also add that you better book than room if you want to get a room at one of the better viewing hotels.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Last year we watched the east river fireworks from a rooftop in the 30s on the east side, but we had a clear view of the fireworks by the brooklyn bridge and they were exactly the same. I always thought they were different and that the east river was more grand, but it looked like mirror images.

Assuming they are the same, seeing them from the Ritz in BPC would definitely be a special 30th birthday and it's really beautiful to see the statue of liberty during the fireworks.

I have done a circle line cruise to see the fireworks as well and I was extremely disappointed with this. There are lots of boats and they all try to get a better view so either you've got a boat blocking you or you are really far away, which is how we ended up.

I do have to say there's nothing like standing on the FDR to watch the fireworks. It's uncomfortable and crowded but you feel like you can reach out and touch the fireworks. Maybe not for a 30th birthday but generally, it's fun.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM

I wonder if the bar at Top of the Beekman Hotel is a good place? Seems to me it would be perfect but I have never done so can't be sure.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:07 AM

travelamb, the Brooklyn Bridge is also on the East River, just further south than the barges in the 20s/30s. The RC Battery Park City is on the WEST side of town and the fireworks you'd see from there would be at the Statue of Liberty and/or in New Jersey. They may be just as good, but not what you saw.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your great ideas!

Anyone else?