Reload this Page >

Where to stay on the Big Isalnd

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2000, 03:32 AM
Mike

My wife and I will be going to the Big Island for the first time this November. We would like to stay somewhere nice, on the beach, preferably within walking distance to a surfing spot. We are looking at the Kona and Kohala areas. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:21 AM
Kim

Check out wizardpub.com There are sections of a book called Big Island Revealed. The book has good, honest and accurate opinions about places and things to do here. Surf spots in Kailua town Banyans, Lymans, Kahaluu are all okay. (My fiancee says they are all crowded though) Outside of town in Pine Trees which is popular for surfing but it is best to have 4 wheel drive and not walking distance from any hotel. This is not the best island to surf on since we do not get the big waves.

Old May 31st, 2000, 07:35 AM
Frank

The Kohala Coast is renowned for its luxurious (and expensive) resort hotels. I have stayed at three: Four Seasons ( does NOT have the beach you're looking for), Hapuna Beach ( great beach that gets rough in winter), and Outrigger Waikoloa (nice beach located behind this more moderately priced hotel). Other top Kohala resorts include the Mauna Lani (man-made beach) and the Mauna Kea (a beautiful crescent-shaped beach). You can't go wrong with any of these wonderful resorts and should hunt for "packages" that make these hotels somewhat more affordable. Your November visit will be before the high season kicks in (after December 15th), so you should benefit from the timing of your visit.
The Big Island is wonderful for exploring by car. I generally spend my "beach time" on Maui and Lanai, and do alot of touring and some horseback riding on the Big Island to take advantage of its diverse and remarkable sights. Enjoy!

Old May 31st, 2000, 07:40 AM
Bill

You may want to consider staying somewhere else if surfing is important for you. North Shore of Oahu, Maui and Kauai are all probably better surfing spots. In downtown Kona, the King Kamehameha has a small beach that is fairly nice. Otherwise you have to do out of the downtown area a little ways to find a beach. Also Kohala is about 25-30 minutes from Kona and sort of self-contained. Depending on how long you're planning on staying on the BI, you may want to stay on the Hilo side, very green with lots of vegetation. Much different than Kona. Have fun

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 10:11 AM
Rich

Mike:

I have stayed on the Big Island 2 times. Both times, we rented a house, and I would advise you to look into it. It's cheaper than you think. As far as beaches, I agree with some of what the other posters have said. The water in the winter months (Jan., Feb.) can get quite rough. There is a black sand beach on the southern end of the island...I think I heard that this area has good surfing. There is also a state park ( South of Kona; I forgot the name) that was an ancient area for Hawaiian royals. It has excellent snorkeling, and it usually isn't crowded.

No matter where you stay, I would highly advise you to rent a car while you are there. The Big Island has so many different features (active volcano, beautiful waterfalls on the Hilo side, the moonscape-like terrain between Kona and Kohala), that you would be doing yourself a disservice to simply stay in one of the Kohala resorts.

Have fun!

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 01:04 PM
BARBARA

Have stayed and/or visited the following hotels: Orchid, Mauna Kea, Hapuna Prince and Kona Village. Of these the best beach and best surfing conditions in November would be either Mauna Kea or Hapuna Prince. There was a local surfing beach between Hilo and Akaka Falls but cannot remeber the name.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Mike

Thanks for the info. Do you know how the surf is in A-bay? Is the Outrigger there nice? We were thinking of staying there - Mike

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 10:12 PM
kalena

The surf spot in North Hilo is Honolii.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 04:59 AM
Frank

The surf at "A-Bay" has always been calm during my visits (early December), which makes for fairly good snorkeling but don't expect to surf there. The Outrigger completed a major renovation last year. It's location and reasonable price are its strong points. Although it lacks the dazzle and luxurious feel of several other Kohala resorts, its still a good choice, especially for its beach, new guest rooms, and proximity to the "Kings Shops", a shopping area across the street which contains, among other stores/restaurants, one of my favorite restaurants, Roy's. This makes up for the weakest aspect of the Outrigger, its marginal restaurants. Also,its pool area was somewhat disappointing. But the sights on the Big Island really warrant driving around and spending more time away from your hotel than in it. For this reason, the Outrigger is a sensible, if not ultra-luxurious, choice.