Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay on Kaua'i & the Big Island.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are in the early stages of planning a trip to Hawaii in April/May 2008. Here's what we are thinking so far:

Fly into Kona (cheaper for us than Hilo) and stay on the Big Island for 3 nights. We are thinking to tour the volcano national park for one day and then some other sightseeing/hiking/snorkeling for the other day.

Next we'd fly to Lihue, Kaua'i. Here we'd like to relax, snorkel, sightsee, horseback ride, etc. for 6-7 nights.

We are looking for suggestions on lodging (but would also appreciate any other tips or advice you might have). On the Big Island we'd like something unique and close to the volcano. On Kaua'i we'd like romantic and peaceful (but preferably not a bed and breakfast--we like hotels/resorts better).

We are hoping to average around $200/night, but realize this may be low. Or without even naming exact hotels, does anyone have recommendations for which sides of either island to stay on?

Thank you!
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 08:02 AM

I'd give the Big Island at least one more day. You'll need to stay in 2 places to see it all because the island is SO big! I'd recommend at least one night down near Volcano, then another 2-3 nights in the Kona area.

There are no big fancy resorts near Volcano, only small hotels and B&Bs. Lots of people here like Kilauea Lodge. We stayed at the Country Goose (ONLY place we found that allows just a one night stay) and liked it.

The Kona area has TONS of large hotels, and also some of the best snorkeling you'll find in all of Hawaii. (Place of Refuge was GREAT!) There are also several good places to hike (Waipio and Polulu Valleys).
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 08:24 AM

I would agree. There is so much to see on the Big Island. Also stay on the Kona side, great snorkeling by Captain Cook monument.

On Kaui we have stayed at the Hanalei Bay resort. It's really nice there with great views and a short walk to the beach. Hanalei bay is nice, we have snorkeled there and the beach is fairly long so you can find an area of beach thats not populated by fellow tourist's.

I'm not sure what the room rate at that resort is since we owned a time share through them. It's still a nice resort with a nice natural looking pool with waterfalls made from lava rock.

Also on Kauai try to make a point to go see the Waimea Canyon. It's like a minature Grand canyon. Also on the way there or on the way back drive through Poipu along the beach and you will likely see Hawaiian Monk Seals resting on the beach.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM

On Kauai, many of the resorts and hotels in your price range will be found in the Kapa'a area. ResortQuest Islander, ReosrtQuest Kauai Beach and Kauai Coast Resort are some that come to mind.

While it is not my favorite part of the island, many here like it as there are reasonably priced places to stay, lots of options for eating and it is equadistant between the sights and the north shore and things on the south and west parts of the island.

If you are open to staying in a condo or a vacation rental you will have a lot more options in your price range open to you all over the island.

In April/May you best bets for snorkeling will be on the south shore of the island. The surf on the north shore will start relaxing a bit by May, but excercise caution when entering the water up there at that time of year as the currents are strong. Be sure to spend some time on the north shore though. Strolling the sands of Hanalei Bay and taking in the views is not to be missed.

For horseback riding try: http://www.princevilleranch.com/
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM

A suggestion for horseback riding on the BI: http://www.dahanaranch.com/horse-riding.htm
Of all the places I checked out for my trip (I am a horse person), they were by FAR the best!