Biking in Maryland

Jul 30th, 1999, 12:27 PM
gary

Biking in Maryland

Would love to do some week long biking out east. Are there bike trails that stretch for miles in Maryland? I don't like highway biking and need to know this before we go.

Jul 30th, 1999, 12:59 PM
MJ

If you go to Virgina, there's a great bike trail in Mount Vernon. This parkway (not highway) trail is along side the Potomac River and Mount Vernon and has incredible views. Goes for about 45 miles, passes Potowmack Marina, National Airport, and leads into downtown DC. Would recommend it.

Not too sure about Maryland trails. Though believe there is one for Great Falls area (on MD side not VA side).

Jul 8th, 2007, 05:32 AM

there is a trail known as the C & O Canal towpath that is perfect for long distance biking. It is an elevated trail 184.5 miles long that goes from Georgetown in DC to Cumberland,MD along the Potomac River. I plan on renting a bike and riding to Shepherdstown,WV around Thanksgiving '07; meeting my family there for dinner... 75 miles from DC to Shepherdstown. Bon appetite.
Jul 8th, 2007, 10:01 AM

The Allegheny Highland trail that links to the C&O towpath trail in Cumberland was just completed last winter. Now you can ride 380 miles all the from Washington DC to Pittsburgh, all along a relatively level trail.
Dec 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM

But is it safe?

I'd love to do that, but I don't know anyone that's willing to get off their ass and do such.
So, single black woman mid 30's iso a cycling partner or adventurous soul.
Dec 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM

In my running days I have run the C&O towpath from Great Falls to about 15 miles north several times. After a mile or so out of Great Falls it is rare to see a soul and the scenery is lovely. I know people who have biked quite a distance on the towpath. Bring your own water and yes, a companion is advised for safety's sake since if an accident or illness should occur, it could be awhile until someone comes by.
Dec 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM

gary,

The C&O canal can't be beat.

It's flat, gorgeous, well maintained. It has camping, water pumps every 5 miles, and goes through some towns where you can eat at fine restaurants. You can be very flexible in your approach - everything from tent camping to luxurious B%B's or a combination.

There are also interesting diversions along the way such as civil war sites, historic forts, Harper's Ferry, Shepherdstown, the Paw Paw Tunnel, etc. The canal architecture and aquadcts themselves are also interesting.

There are also some remote areas along the path miles from the nearest road where you have sandy beaches and private pooled areas in the Potomac River where you won't see anyone all day (we skinny dipped for 1/2 day).

We did the trip from Cumberland MD to Georgetown in DC (this is the direction to take it as you can reward yourself to a nice hotel and meal after the trip). It was just about our favorite trip ever, beating out Paris, Rome, etc.

Weekdays are best as weekends bring out a lot of locals.

http://bikewashington.org/canal/

http://www.nps.gov/choh/
Dec 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Another wonderful Virginia bike trail is the New River Trail near Galax and Pulaski. I have enjoyed staying at Chestnut Creek Cabins and riding the trail. Great fun!