Where to stay last day in Seattle area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got everything booked except our last night in Washington. We'll be leaving Orcas Island on Friday. I thought we'd explore La Conner and then do a tour of the Boeing Factory in Everett. I'm puzzled about where to stay that night. We have a noon flight out the next day.

Do I go back to Seattle or is there somewhere to stay between Everett and Seattle that would be nice? The only reason I hesitate to go back to downtown Seattle is that I'll have the rental car and parking is expensive. I'm thinking of staying in the outskirts of Seattle and seeing Washington Park Arboretum or Discovery Park in the late afternoon. Then, it's an easy drive to the airport the next morning.

Other possibilities might be Gig Harbor or Mukilteo, 5 miles southeast of Everett (but I don't know if there's enough to do there).

Do you have any suggestions for our last afternoon and evening? Alternatively, should I plan to spend more of the day on Orcas rather than plan something in the late afternoon elsewhere? Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:19 AM

I would stay in Seattle that night. The area between Everett and downtown just is not very appealing. We lived in that area and the inlaws are still there, so I know it quite well.

If you stay in Seattle, you could also return the rental car that day and use a shuttle to the airport in the morning.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 06:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would look at the Silver Cloud Inn on the waterfront in Mukilteo (actually, built partly on piers over the water) with incredible sunset views of the Olympics, ferry dock next door, couple of decent waterfront or view restaurants walkable, five minutes from the Boeing plant. There's an excellent public beach for walks, couple of carryout fish 'n chip places (including old local standby Ivar's), cute lighthouse, in short, lots to see for an evening. In the morning (if it's a weekday) wait until after thme morning rush to go to the airport (you'll have plenty of time.) www.scinns.com
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are a couple of B&B's I've seen recommended (here on Fodors) on Capitol Hill in Seattle. Would that be of interest? You could be in Seattle without the hassle of staying downtown. A pretty area, plenty of free street parking and a number of good restaurants you could walk to for dinner.

A poster awhile back told about one in my neighborhood (by Volunteer Park) that I believe was Karen Brown recommended. I can get the names if you are interested.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:09 AM

Garyloo is right on. There are few options in the sprawl between Everett and Seattle, but Mukilteo is a nice option.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:19 AM

Between Everett and Seattle is Edmonds which is one of my favorite places -
very cute downtown area with lots of shops restaurants , nice beach area to walk on - I enjoy every visit I make there but have friends there so always stay in private home
There is a hotel in the downtown area "Edmonds Harbor Inn" that is walking distance to most things.
Also Edmonds is serviced by the Kingston Ferry - so you could take the ferry there .
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 01:40 PM

I highly reccommend the Alexis Hotel. We stayed there on our fist day in Seattle on our way to the San Juans and Vancouver Island. We enjoyed the hotel so much we stayed there on our last night before flying back to California. Its quaint, charming and the staff was very attentive. Its walking distance to Pike's Market, Old Town and all other shopping. Can't wait to stay ther again!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good responses! Suze, my husband doesn't like B&Bs so I won't take your suggestion but thanks for your time. I haven't decided what to do but you've given me some great ideas.

Jeannette
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

What about Snoqualmie? Is that a good option in July?

Jeannette
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 07:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There's basically just the Salish Inn at Snoqualmie Falls. Over-priced (big time) IMO and because it's been a dry winter there won't be a lot of water going over the falls, so the ooh factor may not be there. Plus it's quite a schlep from Sea-Tac.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 09:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I understand. I'm not a B&B-er myself. And was surprised when I read here on Fodors that there are two good ones right in my own neighborhood. They just look like all the other old mansions on Capitol Hill from the outside, so I'd never noticed them.

I've only gone to the Salish Lodge for massages and facials, and it was very nice for that. Bit far from the airport, as mentioned above, though.