Where to stay L.A. or Beach town

Jul 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay L.A. or Beach town

I am traveling to L.A./ Hollywood for a party the first week in August. We also want to do the typical tourist things, Universal, Warner Bros., Santa Monica etc. I will be traveling with 3 teenage boys. I currently have a room booked in the downtown L.A. area. Should we keep it or switch to another area, ie. Marina Del Rey, Westwood etc?
Thanks for the help!!
Jul 20th, 2008, 07:57 AM

L.A. is a challenge, because it's so spread out. You will inevitably need to drive a distance to see at least one of your sights. But, I personally prefer to drive instead of moving to a whole new hotel for a night or two.

We stay in Marina del Rey, at the Marriott Courtyard, because our son's college is close by and we like that area. I think your teens would prefer to be at a place on the water, rather than in downtown. Or in Westwood, near UCLA, is also great for older teens. Also Santa Monica.

Going to Hollywood or Burbank will be a drive, but I'd still do that over staying in Hollywood.

How many nights?

Have you looked for tickets to a taping, like the Jay Leno show? (Check on the age minimum.) It's fun to see it done, and I personally prefer that over just a studio tour. Google for tickets and you'll find the site which shows taping dates and guests on the shows.

Have fun!

Jul 20th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi PeaceOut
We will be in California for 6 nights. I agree that I would rather drive than switch hotels. Thanks for the advice for tapings.
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM

P.S. The tapings are free, too.
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Hi, We just got back from a trip to LA with our 16 yo son. You can check out my posting "trip report - LA with teen".

We stayed at the Doubletree Santa Monica & found it reasonable for our needs. Drove to Hollywood, Burbank etc. The other way to do it would be to stay in the Hollywood area. We didn't even go downtown in a week there.

I definitely recommend getting a GPS system before you go. It was a life saver. We tried to reserve one with our car rental, but they wouldn't guarantee it, so we just bought one.

Seeing a tv show taping is fun & free. Here are some websites to check out. Be sure to arrive early as they overbook to have a full audience.
http://www.tvtickets.com/
http://www.tvtix.com/
http://www.jeopardytickets.tv/
http://www.nbc.com/Footer/Tickets/
http://www.ocatv.com/shows

Have a great trip.
Jul 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
casey_reed84

Downtown LA is by far the worst possible place you could stay in LA unless your their for business and are working downtown.

You should stay in the Hollywood, Beverly Hills or Santa Monica area. More things to do and more accessable to everything you'll want to do in LA. Santa Monica is out of the way a little bit more than Hollywood and Bev Hills but is worth it for the beautiful beaches and cool scene.

Jul 21st, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. We are currently booked at the Sofitel but based on all the feed back I will switch to either Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey. Can anyone suggest a hotel that is comfortable for a family of 5 in these towns? I have tried to get the studio taping tickets but my youngest is 12 and most tapings are for 18. Any advice on this?
Thanks
Jul 21st, 2008, 05:47 AM

We stay at the Doubletree in Santa Monica because its a "suite" hotel. But there is a converted apartment building hotel in Santa Monica on California not far from the ocean. Maybe someone knows the name. That's a great place to stay because it has a kitchen, bedroom and living room. It has a pool in the middle and is easy walking distance to 3rd street... or is it 4th..which is where all the fun activity takes place, and where your teens will love to walk around. If you are Catholic don't miss the 9;30 family mass at St. Monica's church on Sunday.
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
lvk

Could it be the Calmar Hotel?

www.calmarhotel.com/
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:13 AM

Yes its the Calmar. We have stayed there before and think it would be great for a family.
Jul 21st, 2008, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I am still confused. The Cal mar hotel is booked and looked a little older than we would prefer. So it is between the Double Tree Santa Monica and the Sofitel which is actually in Hollywood. We like a clean quiet hotel that can accomodate 5 people comfortably.We must be in a safe place so when we walk at night I will feel comfortable.
Thanks again for all the help!
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM

Go to the Courtyard Marriott in Old Town Pasadena. I'm from Pasadena and it's a beautiful city with lots to take in. Then drive to the other places. Plus, there are over 500 restaurants in Pasadena and as soon as you walk out the front door of the Marriott, you will be in the heart of things. People walk around all night in Old Town so it's safe and lively.
Also the Gold(?) Line is one block over from the hotel and goes into downtown L.A./China Town/ Olvera Street...where L.A. began...lots of Mexican shops and restaurants... and you can change lines and go to Universal Studios if it's on a day you don't want to drive. But, do rent a car. I wouldn't however stay in Hollywood. Happy Travels!
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM

The Sofitel is neither in Downtown Los Angeles nor in what is commonly thought of as Hollywood. You're right next to the Beverly Center and Cedars Sinai, just south of the city of West Hollywood (and just east of the City of Beverly Hills) in the Fairfax District.

A friend of mine lived about two blocks away for quite some time. There is no reason to be concerned about this location.

It really is unfortunate when people who don't really know LA give advice based on stereotypes about how unsafe "Downtown" and "Hollywood" are, and in fact your hotel is in neither place.

There is no reason for you to change hotels. It's very conveniently located for what you want to see.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM

I would choose the Doubletree Santa Monica, especially with your three boys. They will find lots of things to do on their own. I know Hollywood is changing, but I still think it's a bit tacky in most places.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
lvk

Are you going to try to squeeze all 5 of you into one room? If so, and the Doubletree is truly a "suite hotel", then I would stick with that.

Our you could try the Residence Inn on Beverly Blvd. It's centrally located for the activities that you are planning and you get a little more breathing room. It is also a decent area.

I suggest that you go to google maps and click on "street view" for the hotels you have in mind, to get an idea what the surrounding areas look like.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. We have switched our reservation to the Double Tree Suites in Santa Monica. I think our kids will enjoy it and we saved quite a bit of money. If you have any favorite restaurants let us know, I have researched past reports.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
casey_reed84

Fathers Office is a great place that is not to spendy right on Montana St. They have burgers and other great dishes. I do recommend the burger though. Don't ask for ketchup, they don't have any.

Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM

We enjoy BOA in Santa Monica - hip fun place. We stayed at the double tree when we went to LA to see Wicked. Ask for a room that is not facing the 10 freeway when you check in. It was rather loud.