Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help with my timing of my itinerary . WE're driving south along the coast from SF

Search

Please help with my timing of my itinerary . WE're driving south along the coast from SF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will pick up our rental car on Monday morning at SFO...in Sept. ( after spending 3 full days in SF). We will have the rest of the day, and the rest of the week to go down the coast. We are planning on leaving the coast on Sat and heading inland to go through the Sierra Madres, and through Bakesfield and on to Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley on the Sat, driving there in one day.

So, we have Monday afternoon and then 4 full days on the coast.

How should I split it up? And how far south should I go?Should I aim for Santa Maria and then go across highway 166? Or should we head a bit further south to Ventura and head inland on Highway 33? Which would be more scenic, and is the section of the coast between the two worth seeing.

We want to stop at Monterey...that's a given....or should we stay in Carmel Should we stay there 2 nights and do day trips from there?

Stay at Venura on the Friday? and where in between?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to tackle this part of our trip. I think we've allowed lots of time for this area, so we aren't rushed.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM

I am not so sure about where to cut over. It would be really nice to see Santa Barbara. someone else can give you the scoop on getting across the state to the east.

Carmel and Monterey and Pacific Grove are very close together and each is different and has different types of lodging. You can look into that and decide which is best for you. Any of the 3 would be a good base for doing a couple of days worth of sightseeing. Then are you planning to drive down Rte 1 through Big Sur to the Hearst Castle and Cambria area? A good idea.

After that you will have to see how much time you have - perhaps it will be time to head east and forego Santa Barbara.

Ventura seems like an out of the way destination - but I am not looking at a map, so perhaps it is logical.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Did you decide on the convertible afterall? Hope so! Have a great trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cabo. I truly didn't realize Monterey, Carmel and Pacific Grove would be that different....so I'll check out the accommodations.

Yes we are heading down to Cambria and are planning on touring the castle. We might just stay there for a couple of days... Cambria I mean, not the castle!!

I don't know that it matters to us if we see Santa Barbara..

Iamq, we almost went for the convertible.. In fact I actually put in a few bids on Priceline. But then we thought of the hot sun when we got to Death Valley etc...and we ended up renting a small SUV. Thanks for the good wishes.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
SAB

Cambria is convenient for a visit to Hearst, but IMHO it's not worth a two day visit in and of itself.

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM

If you have no interest in Santa Barbara, you are best off turning east at Santa Maria instead of going down to Ventura. Ventura is more than "a bit further south" and Hwy 33 is a long and winding road that takes you north - not east. If you do end up in Ventura, it's best to take 126 to 5 to 14 and then up to 395.

From Santa Maria, it's 370 miles (of mostly boring landscapes) to Death Valley NP. Unless you are interested in hiking the sand dunes (and I wouldn't recommend that in September), there is no reason to stay at Stovepipe Wells. This is just a roadside stop with a tiny convenience store and a modest sized motel and small restaurant. The Furnace Creek Ranch has a lot more to offer including better restaurants and visitor facilities. It's also closer to the major attractions of the Park such as Badwater, Zabriskie Pt, and Dante's View. I'd recommend the Furnace Creek Inn but it's still closed in September because it's too hot. If you are not used to heat, DV will be quite an experience after spending 10 days on the coast.

I've tried before to dissuade you from going to DVNP in September. Save it for another time when the weather is conducive to enjoying this dramatic place. Instead, you could go down the coast to Ventura and spend a day on an excursion out to the Channel Islands National Park where you have a great opportunity to see whales and other marine wildlife.

http://www.islandpackers.com/isltrips.html

As far as a place to stay on your way to Yosemite, I'd recommend Mammoth Lakes. It's a ghost town in late September because it's a ski resort. Book in advance and you should be able to get a very good deal. The places on 395 are still busy that time of year and charge high season rates. Mammoth also has more to offer in restaurants and shopping.

You want to stay somewhere on the east side because you want to be fresh for your drive over Tioga Pass into Yosemite in the morning. Get an early start and enjoy the magnificent views with the sun still behind you.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:58 PM

There are some nice dunes to visit near Santa Maria--someone else might know the more specific location. It reminded me of the Oregon dunes.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM

I think Michael is thinking of the Pismo Dunes just south of Pismo Beach state park.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM

I just checked a map, and I think that the area was due west of Guadalupe.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Sab, I agree, but we have 4 days to tour the coast... What would you do? I tried not to rush the trip, but maybe I've allowed too much time!

Super, I know you've tried to dissuade us... and I appreciate it... but at our age, we really have to do what's on our bucket list, and DV is a huge one for my best friend... and we just don't know if we'll ever be back that way.
Sounds like we should change our reservation from Stovepipe Wells to Furnace Creek Ranch. Thanks.. I'll do that..

The Channel Islands look wonderful..

I'll look at accommodations in Mammoth Lakes. It sounds like a pretty area, and thanks for the tip about getting an early start to go over the pass.

Michael and Tripp, the dunes sound great. They are something I'd really enjoy.

Thanks everyone..
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:43 AM

You really should do Santa Barbara--it's a delight. We also enjoyed Morro Bay.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like we might have the time to go down to Santa Barbara. Then we could backtrack up to Santa Maria before cutting in. Would that make sense?

Super, I've changed our reservations in DV to the Furnace Creek Ranch. Thanks.

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

ok I'm checking the map.. If we do go down to Santa Barbara, instead of backtracking to Santa Maria, should we then go down to Ventura, and take the route suggested by Supercilious? That is Hwy 126 to 5 to 14 and up 395.

It would mean we'd be going a bit further south, but woulnd't be backtracking.
What do you think?
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Your trip down the coast will not be rapid. It will take you much longer than the miles would lead you to expect.

There are many things you will want to stop and see, few of them indicated on maps.

Parts of the coast are sufficiently empty that you will have to adjust timing to meals -- they won't necessarily be available around the next curve.

The coast is very different from place to place: Monterrey is different from Big Sur (or whatever will be left of it) and they are different from Cambria, which is different for San Luis Obispo, etc. Allow time. Visit Santa Barbara.

Driving from north to south, you will be on the cliff side of much of the highway. Speed limits are low to begin with, and there are few opportunities to overtake if you get behind someone who is timid about the exposure. It is not the Corniche on the Riviera, but it can be airy.

So worry less about what is in the bucket and perhaps a bit more about enjoying the journey. Four days and three nights is about right.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander, thanks ... I'm glad to hear 4 days will give us a reasonable amount of time.
We don't want to rush ..and we do want to be able to stop along the way.

We deliberately planned out trip north to south to fully enjoy the drive. We aren't timid drivers....at least I don't think so!
I think we will plan to go as far as Santa Barbara. The trolley tour looks good there.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Should we make time to sto at Santa Cruz? So many places, so little time!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM

I'd skip Santa Cruz. It's more of a local's destination than a tourist one. You would be better off spending your time in the Monterey area or in the Santa Barbara area, or in between.

If you go down to Santa Barbara, that route I described before is freeway almost the whole way up to 395 so it is much faster than the two lane roads up to Bakersfield and than over to 395 via Lake Isabella. If you take it, you will be going through Santa Clarita which has California's best amusement park - Magic Mountain. If you like roller coasters, spend the day here. Much better than the one in Santa Cruz.

As far as Death Valley is concerned, don't even think of going out to the Racetrack in September (as someone on your other thread recommended). For Titus Canyon, check with the rangers at the Visitor's Center and make sure it's patrolled then and ask their opinion about doing it.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Super, I have a couple of questions... so stay tuned.. but for now I have to dash off to work. More tonight.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Super, I was a little confused by your directions, but I think I'm all set. When I go along 126, to 5, I go SOUTH to 14. Right??

Yikes, I'll skip the roller coaster.. I never did like them.
I'm not that brave.

You have relieved my mind a bit.
Your last post mentioned the rangers, and about them patrolling. This is something I wondered, and you were the first one that has mentioned them. I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the travel books.
We will talk to them for sure before going off any of the main roads.

Thanks for the information.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM

Supercilious - I must disagree that any roller coaster at Magic Mountain is better than the Giant Dipper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -