Where to stay just outside OuterBanks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from the DC area to Corolla, in the Outer Banks. I know that arriving on Saturday is a traffic nightmare. I need suggestions for a town and a basic, clean place to stay the Friday night before we arrive so we can get onto the island as early as possible.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Topping this for you.

We have arrived on the OBX on many a Saturday and a Sunday to take possession of a cottage and I am honestly not sure the "traffic nightmare" is really as bad as you think it is. Personally, I find the speed demons (even faster than I drive and that's saying something) on 64 East to be more worrisome.

You want to get there as "early as possible"...since many possessions don;t occur until 4PM or later why not just get there earlier in the day and hang out somewhere? Most of the early traffic will be headed in the opposite direction.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Isn't there a hotel (Hampton Inn?) in Corolla? Maybe you could stay there on Friday night and then you'll already be on the island for Saturday. I don't think the traffic is bad if you arrive on Friday evening. Otherwise, we always stay in the Norfolk area the night before our rental starts. We leave by 8 the next morning and have never hit traffic to get onto the island. I hear that the traffic gets bad in the afternoon hours.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Last time we went to OBX we did the same as Kathy - stayed Friday night in Norfolk and just went in Saturday morning. We found a chain motel off the interstate. Had no problems getting in the next day. If you're renting, most of the rental places won't talk to you before early afternoon anyway.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Chesapeake is the closest town. I think there are a few off Battlefield blvd. As long as you get to the bridge by 12, you should be fine. There is actually a camera right at the bridge if you want to see when it starts to get backed up. I know there's a link on obxconnection.com.