where to stay in savannah?

May 22nd, 2001, 06:51 AM
cbaird

where to stay in savannah?

Thanks to all for the good info yesterday on what to do and see in savannah and the surrounding area.
Now, my next question....where to stay? I want a nice hotel or condo. Help!

May 22nd, 2001, 07:23 AM
Rachael

Right along the river front, there is a Hyatt, which is central to many of the sights. There is also a Marriott at the far end of River street. I stayed at the Mariott and found it to be convenient and adequate- it was nice, though not super deluxe. Savannah also has tons of small historic inns, though never having stayed in any of them, I can't advise as to which ones are the nicest.

May 22nd, 2001, 08:52 AM
cbaird

I wanted to add to my message above about "where to stay in savannah"...I failed to say I am wanting to stay in the historic district...that's the area I need info on. again thanks for all your wonderful help!!!

May 22nd, 2001, 10:31 AM
Stephanie

cbaird....I just got back from Savannah and if money is not an issue, I would agree that the Hyatt was in the best location. If you are pinching pennies like I was, the Days Inn is a couple of blocks away and is also in a really good location. You can get a room there at $99 per night if you tell them you saw that special on their website. A few of reasons that I really liked the Days Inn was 1) It's just one stree over from River Street (which is a must see), 2) There is a trolley stop right there at the hotel for Old Town Trolley (which gave a great tour of the city!), 3) It's right around the corner from City Market and 4) It's in walking distance to Lady and Son's restaurant which seems to be a big favorite among those who post messages on this board.

I was there by myself and didn't really feel like dining in any restaurants so I ate at the River House which is on River Street. It was just down the hill from my hotel so I would get my meals to go and then eat in my roo (saved me on tips....told ya I'm cheap! hehehe). Anyway, if you choose the Days Inn, don't expect the best rooms in the world but they were clean and for the most part comfortable. Good luck on your trip!

May 22nd, 2001, 06:18 PM
JoJo

Stayed in the Hampton Inn - Historic District this past March and loved it. Great staff - good breakfast buffet and very convenient..

May 22nd, 2001, 07:01 PM
OliveOyl

cbaird,

My dh ran the Hyatt and we "lived in" so I'm more than a little familiar with that hotel. Our suite was on the northeast corner of the building overlooking the river to the north, and River St and the river to the east, so we had a bird's eye view of the amazing ship traffic plus all the activities of River St. We were on the top floor and the bridges of the ships would pass at eye level--quite a sight. That was a hard living arrangement to give up!! If you decide to stay there, do request a river view room--it is well worth anything extra. Of course, each floor will also have a corner room duplicating the views we had...those are the best of the best! Marriott, at the other end of the historic district, also has river view rooms, again, you would need to specify that view.

Probably the most deluxe hotel there now is the Westin, but they built it on an island on the other side of the river, so it looks back at downtown Savannah. They have river taxis going back and forth, but otherwise, its a drive across the bridge to get back to the historic district.

Down a tier there is a Days Inn and Best Western on Bay St, but neither will have river views. There's an extremely nice Holiday Inn, called the Mulberry Inn, a block back back from Bay St. (I'd take that over Days Inn or Best Western).

The best of the B&B's are the Gastonian, Ballastone, and the Foley House (my favorites anyway). Of those the Foley House has the best location, on Chippewa Square, (also known as the "Forest Gump" square as that's where all the bus stop scenes were filmed).

Have a great trip and do be sure to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before going!

May 22nd, 2001, 09:53 PM
Frank

My wife and I spent a wonderful weekend at the 1790 Inn which is located in the heart of the historic district. It has a terrific restaurant located in the cellar and is apparently a local watering hole for the Savannah social scene of "Midnight" lore...or so we were told...hope this helps...

Jun 7th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Amy

Hi im from Savannah and I would not stay at the days inn on baystreet if i were a tourist. Its not in the best neighborhood and its not very safe. Anyone who is a tourist should think about staying at at a holiday inn or one of the inns downtown.

Search this Thread