Reload this Page >

where to stay in San Fran

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:48 AM
bevchristie

We were given tickets to a 49'ers game in dec. Now we are looking for hotel rooms. Has anyone stayed at Grosvenor Suites on Pine St., or the White Swan on Bush St. or at the Renaissance Stanford Court on California St? These are just ones we've got out of the guide books that sound good and with the Canadian exchange aren't too pricey. Thanks for any info ahead of time, you were a great help in June when we went to Scotland for 2 weeks.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stayed at the Stanford Court years ago before it was a Renaissance hotel. It's on Nob Hill. It was decent. Not sure about transportation convenience to the game from there. I would repost with a title-Best location in SF for 49ers game.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:45 AM
bevchristie

Close to the game doesn't matter, we are coming for a week to see and do the town. Also planning to go to Sonoma as per recommends here.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check into columbusmotorinn.com if you have a car, as parking rates are exorbitant at most other hotels.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Lots of good reviews here.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...alifornia.html

The Stanford Court is just down the street from the Fairmont & the Mark Hopkins, both famous old elegant hotels. I like the Nob Hill location but if you're a walker, know that it's very steep there

I assume you've familiarized yourself with the various location options (ie Fisherman's Wharf, Nob Hill, Union Square, Cow Hollow etc.)?

The Union Square area is flatter & closer to shops etc. but is really getting slammed because of the homeless problem there. Recently read in the NYTimes that there are REAL bargains at hotels in this area because nobody wants to stay there. I did and liked it, but that was 5 years ago. I think the homeless prob. has gotten worse. Some people like staying near Fisherman's Wharf. The hotels there tend to be newer. I prefer Nob Hill area.

Don't miss taking a ferry ride to Sausalito and/or Tiburon while you're there.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 02:34 PM

We stayed at Grosvenors Suites a year ago and liked it. Close to cable car and had small parking area. The rooms were very large and nice views.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:14 PM

We stayed at the Westin St. Francis on Union Square last month for 3 nights. $65 via Priceline. Also spent another 3 nights at the Villa Florence just a block down Powell St. $55. Highly recommend both of them.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Hello fellow Canadian. I had originally booked the White Swan but ended up not staying there. We checked it out a couple of weeks ago though and it seemed like a nice hotel, peaceful and pleasant inside. Friendly staff even let us into the cookie jar.

We stayed at the Argonaut Hotel instead. We liked the Bay/Alcatraz view rooms at the front of the building best by far. Fabulous.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 11:37 PM

Use Priceline. You will get a great hotel and a great rate. I suggest staying in Union Square.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:43 PM
bquarre

The Villa Florence is a nice place, not too expensive and Kuleto's is downstairs in the lobby for lunch and dinner.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:43 PM

The areas of all 3 hotels sound safe, maybe hilly area though. I wouldn't worry about getting to/from games, usually there are plenty express buses, check the stops and prices on the SF MUNI website.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:38 PM

We just got back from Charger-Raider game go every year and stay at the San Francisco Hilton downtown, three blocks from cable car and shopping. Restaurants all around. Great location and hotel.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:28 PM

For the record, the Union Square area is fine at night. Whenever you see a link to that sfgate article in a post, be very wary. It's been used many times (presumably by the same poster using different names) to scare anyone who asks for Union Square hotel advice.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:37 PM

bevchristie,
if you click on Bonnee's name you will notice that his or her posts have a very short history on this site. There's a reason for that.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Now there's a novel defense ....
All she has to do is look at your other posts and she'll see what reactions other Fodorites have had to them.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:55 PM

Sorry, "Bonnee", everyone knows who you are. You used to be Devinson, Jaredson, BonneeJ, Canello, Gannet, Reid, Jacksen, Montgomery, Mulligan, Carsen, Diaz, Williamson, Dawsen, Earnst, Berkshire, Chilin, Riverton, Elsevier, etc., etc., etc.

By the way-- we're gonna miss you, "Bonnee"....
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:59 PM

Thanks rjw. I was wondering if any of his usual victims were logged in. Jason, are you out there?
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:48 PM

*sigh* he's baaack!

And then by tomorrow morning he'll be gone again, but not until he's spoiled this entire thread!

martytravels: do you shave in the morning? If not, then you and I don't look the same!

rjw: do you have salt and pepper hair? If not, then you're not me either!

Bonnee: aren't you slipping up a lot? You haven't paid too much attention to your masters, the corrupt forces of San Jose, who must be paying your bills, including your internet connection. And, of course, we await the mention of the book which you constantly peddle.

bevchristie: The Stanford Court was renovated by a wonderful entrepreneur who had to sell out his interests because of hard times - forgot his name temporarily - but it's a nice little boutique hotel. Pretty far up Nob Hill, so it's a good hike unless you are very wealthy and travel by cab all the time. Great location. Nice, smallish rooms. Of the three hotels that you mentioned, this is the best and, if the price is right, I'd take this hotel over the others.

Fisherman's Wharf is a great location but it's way at the north end of San Francisco, whereas Candlestick/3Com Park is way down past the south end of town.

You haven't said how you are planning to get to Candlestick.

Union Square is fine too. A bit closer to C. Park, but still in the middle of San Francisco.

mclaurie has given you a lot of good information to go on, so have a number of others.

I've also read on Fodors that people, like hbark, have been getting great rates - like $65 at the St Francis - on priceline. I have never used priceline myself, but if you can get that kind of rate for a four star hotel in San Francisco, then go for it.

And, please, disregard any suggestion that Union "Sqaure" or "union Square" is not safe. The number one tourist destination in San Francisco is Fisherman Wharf which has a tremendous concentration of hotels/motels. The second area of hotel concentration is the Union Square area. You'll be fine in both areas.

Hope this helps! Have a great time at Candlestick - bring warm clothing! And GO Niners!
Jason
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:55 PM

Hiya Jason!

Actually, I have NO hair. Bald IS beautiful...!

I love staying on Nob Hill myself-- when my company's paying (I'm a Mark Hopkins fan). Otherwise, I'll stay in Union Square quite happily. Aren't there AAA four- and five-diamond hotels on Union Square? How bad could the area truly be?
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:59 PM

Jason, I do shave, but I think my morning comes about 3 hours before yours does. Sorry Bonnee, it's hard to maintain aliases in two time zones!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -