Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Palm Springs, Palm Desert area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With husband's aunt and uncle from Iowa? We only can stay one night. Thought it would be fun to stay in some kind of unique to the area hotel. Maybe old Hollywood? Or Palm Springs luxe? A nice place with a view? Or walking distance to a view or things to do? We only live an hour from the area. We'll have a car. We want to go out to dinner. Nothing real pricey and this will be mid June. Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM

We recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Palm Springs which has deficiencies mentioned at www.tripadvisor.com.

However, on the plus side, it is downtown, rooms facing west have great views, rooms are large, and it is in the middle of the restaurant and shopping district.

We had a very good and reasonably priced Italian dinner at a street cafe associated with a place called Backstage.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Maybe too pricey and you need to drive about a mile to downtown, but I stay here frequently (it's my home away from home)

http://www.sundancevillas.com/

To get a good rate mention this website-

http://www.palmsprings.com/hotels/sundance/index.html

Ginny and Jean are the onsite managers and will make sure you have a wonderful time.

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:47 PM

I haven't stayed at these two yet (Coyote Inn & Cala Lily Inn), though I walked by them. We are interested in a future stay at one or both of them. http://www.palmsprings.com/hotels/coyoteinn/index.html
http://www.palmsprings.com/callalilyinn/index.html
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Oh we stayed at sundance villas and had a great time but it was just the two of us!!

Love the private pool and spa.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM

I know what you mean Susie! It has been a great romantic getaway place.

I also like to go out there alone at times and a few years ago our entire family stayed there from Christmas through New Years.

I just love it there!
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website. It is very cool. Many good ideas, and amazing prices. The Sundance is a little pricy for us, even in June. But the Palm Springs Life has many alternatives. With pictures.

I want to give them the Palm Springs experience. If you have anything to add to what you think a good Palm Springs experience might be, please post here.

The aunt and uncle are older and from Iowa, so this area will probably blow them away...It is beautiful, even in the heat. And some amazing bargains on luxary accomodations.

Thanks again.
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Hi.

To me, the classic PS experience is embodied in the historic inns located in the Tennis area west of Palm Canyon. For example, in June you can stay at Casa Cody for $69-109/night, at Korakia for $189. I would suggest checking out Ingleside Inn as well.

For fun, take the Tahquitz Cyn guided hike. You can also check out Moorten's Botanical Gardens
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...palm_springs-i.

I hope you have a great time.

PSL
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I agree on the old "Hollywood", Ratpack type bunglow hotels in PS. That is where I would love to stay, but husband says he wants a big, luxe resort. Think I will try Priceline.

I was also thinking about taking them to Hogs Breath for dinner, in La Quinta. Any comments on this place? Not that there aren't many good restaurants to choose from. We thought they might like the Clint Eastwood touch. Or the Nest. Or the Daily Grill. Or maybe one of those classic Italian restaurants. They'll like whatever we choose, I'm sure.

Also thinking about driving them up to Jushua Tree? Not sure. That is quite a bit of time. Maybe they would like the Living Desert but afraid that could be too much walking.

DH and I will plan the romantic "Ratpack" getaway later in the summer, on a Thursday night so we can do the Palm Canyon street fair. Sounds like fun.

Palm Springs and Palm Desert sure have a lot of things to do...
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

ttt for more ideas???
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM

I know you are asking about Palm Springs specifically; but there are also fab resorts in Palm Desert e.g. The Marriott Desert Springs; also the Hyatt Grand Champion in Indian Wells.
I would take them to La Quinta Inn for a drink or just to view the grounds-really is special.
Personally I would skip Hogsbreath-don't think the food is very good; except at the bar where a hamburger or the like is fine. If they're golfers at all-take them to Arnie Palmers for a drink; the memorabilia is fabulous (as one could imagine)-again I don't think the food is special. The Nest is fun in the evening with the piano player. The BEST "rat pack" restaurant is Bing Crosby's in Palm Desert-lots of memorabilia. And if you haven't been to the Palm Springs Follies-that would be a must-VERY entertaining. The Living Desert is very interesting-not sure the drive to Joshua is worth the time for a one day trip-I'd skip that, too.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Meant to add: http://www.palmspringsfollies.com/
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Bing Crosy's sounds really cool. I looked on the website but they give no prices at all. Can you give me an idea how expensive the place is?

Is Arnold Palmer's good food?

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I realize that Joshua Tree is a little far, but it is such incredible landscape, so indigenous to the area, that it might be worth it to them. JT looks like it is almost on another planet.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Crosby's is very good. It is not really expensive, e.g. not 'fine dining' expensive.

I really like and support Old Town La Quinta, but I can't endorse Hog's Breath at this time. It is owned by the great Morcus restaurant family of Chop House and Kaiser Grill fame, but since it opened, the food has just been really uneven and uninspired. I have been many, many times over the last few years hoping it would improve, but so far have been less than impressed. The bar is a good place to have a drink and check out the ambiance however. If you go to Old Town, I highly recommend Stuft Pizza. Good food, busy atmosphere and good bar. If you want to try an old time La Quinta place, check out The Sandbar, still owned by the Cunards.

Palmer's is fun. Sometimes I have had really good meals there, others just so-so. But it is a great bar scene with lots of ambiance and Arnold memorabilia all over.

For other 'Rat Pack' ambiance, check out Le Valleuris and Riccio's in PS. Those guys really did go there, Ingleside Inn, too.

I would definitely plan to go to JTree. I camp and climb there. 'Otherworldly' is a very good characterization.

PSL
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:31 PM

I love Korakia and Casa Cody has always appealed to me. See if you can get a good rate on those in June.

Korakia is unique and you can walk to most places from there. To me, that is a huge plus.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

How about the Orbit In? Anyone ever try this place? They really have some cool spots in Palm Springs now. Problem is DH prefers the big golf resorts to the little boutique funky spots. Will have to try one this summer and change his mind. They are truly "funky".

It is nice to see Palm Springs growing. It was kind of stuck for a while.
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Well, we might hit them all. Crosbys, Hogsbreath, Arnie Palmers. We'll drag our poor aunt and uncle with us on the town, just have to be home before nine and we are good...LOL.