Where to stay in NYC with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning to travel in March/April to NYC with a 9yr old and 11 yr old for their first trip. What hotels are recommended that would be friendly to kids and what sites are not to be missed?
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Do you have a price range in mind?
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping for $150/night
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:45 PM

We took our kids, ages 8 & 10 at the time, to NYC a couple years ago. They enjoyed the Pokemon Center store/arcade & ice skating at RC, Lion King (not to miss!), Dylan's candy store (fun decor & every candy imaginable), the ferris wheel ride inside the Toys R Us store(Times Sq), and the candy store inside the NBC studio building. They also enjoyed strolling thru Central Park but it was winter and there was some snow on the ground for them to play with. I also took them to the Museum of Natural History but they are not big dinosaur fans. By far, seeing the Lion King was our favorite. I bought the CD of the live production, and everytime we play it in my car, it brings back such wonderful memories of the show and the city--I'm glad I got it.
Do you know what part of town you're looking to stay at?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 12:04 AM

Bargains for lodging consider and BOOK now- Days Inn, and HOJO on 8th and Super 8. I stay between the three by cheapest price. All walkable to midtown and easy subway/bus access for anywhere else. The above list has good ideas. Also consider the Staten Island Ferry, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, Seaport area, Sony wonderlab. New Victory Theater is kids orientated and cheap- see what's playing when you go?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:02 AM

For 4 people in NYC that's quite a tight buget. I agree with locking into something cancellable quick - while you continue looking at options. Ordinarily with kids that age I would reco a suite hotel - to have extra room and a mini-kitchen - but most are more than that.

You might want to look into the affinia group of hotel - eponymous web site - which usually get good reviews in the moderate category and are all suites. They may have some special you can hook on to.

Also, a hotel on upper west side can be a good choice since it gives you easy access to the Park - and the CP zoo and the Museum of Natural History - so the kids don't have to spend every minute touring. Also, this area has tons of good, inexpensive restaurants to choose from - much better than midtown. You might want to look at the Lucerne - which alwyas gets good reviews.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:01 AM

We stayed at the Doubletree Times Square last summer, it was a one bedroom suite which worked well for my family of three. Its a little out of your budget though, more like $200/night, but they do have specials on thier website that might work for you
http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hote...tyhocn=LGASFDT
Have a great time in NYC
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Check out Murray Hill East Suites - we stayed there in Dec on one of the prime weekends for $300/nite but I understand others have gotten them for much less during non-peak times and through Priceline and others. 39th & Lexington - very convenient location to LGA. Sitting room w/ Q sofa bed and another room w/ King bed, full kitchen - nice bath...
See www.tripadvisor.com - I would stay there again. It was perfect for us w/ our teen girls. Plus it was easy to walk down the block and get things for breakfast.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM

rosegirl - The Milburn Hotel on the Upper West Side is very family friendly and within your budget www.milburnhotel.com - Lots of reviews at www.tripadvisor.com

The Beacon Hotel is in the same area but costs a few more $$.

Good area, lots of inexpensive places to eat, quick walk to subway etc.

Sandy
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I've recently booked a one bedroom suite at The Avalon Hotel (East 32nd St) for 5 nights at the end of March/beginning of April for our family (kids aged 7 and 10). The reviews on Tripadvisor seemed fine and the rate of $200 (through Quikbook) includes breakfast for the four of us. There was a smaller room available, I seem to recall, for $180.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would recommend the mid town area as the place to stay. It is walking distance to many things and theaters. Chain hotels may be able to offer you a discount AAA and such. Try Hilton brands, Marriott, etc...
My kids are the same age group. I recommend seeing a matinee. Lion King, Beauty and the beast were excellent shows and my girls loved them. Mars 2112 is a fun hamburger restaurant that you must climb in a spaceship, get rocked around and than into mars for dinner. There is a new American Girl place in NY if you have girls. The museum of natural History is awesome. It has a planetarium and my kids liked it very much. It is a great museum unlike most small cities. Shop on fifth avenue. The old department stores in NY are great. See St. Patrick's cathedral (quite a church no matter what religion you are)
Go downtown and have dinner in Little Italy. Statue of Liberty, and the Empire state building. There are so many things to do. I will see what I can remember.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Try Mayflower Inn on the Park. Right across from Central Park, right near a subway station, right next door to a Krispy Kremes outlet, and so convenient. We were there w/our son right after 9/11, and never felt scared or bored. Good luck!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:14 AM

rosegirl -

I'm afraid the last two posters are operating on info that's out of date. You will not be able to find one of the major brand hotels in your price range - for them I would expect to pay $300 per night at a minimum -except through Priceline - and then you would have to take 2 rooms.

(Right after 911 hotel occupancy rates - and the rates the hotels charged - were much lower for a time - however, the city has now recovered and all rates are back to where they were before - and then some.)

And the Mayflower - if that's the hotel referred to - is now closed.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:20 AM

We stay at the Doubletree Times Square when we go to NY with our kids.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:36 AM

Check the Affinia hotels (incuding the Murray Hill mentioned here). They are suite hotels with kitchens. SOmetimes they have special offers on their website (www.affinia.com), although the best I've seen was a year ago, $158 for a studio suite and $178 for a 1 bedroom. The 1 bedrooms were very roomy, the studios were more like a typical hotel room with an efficiency kitchen. $150 for a room big enough for 4 may be difficult.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:20 PM

ttt for poster tsl
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM

a friend recently stayed at the East Murray Hill suites for $120 via priceline. They bid on a 2* in that area. Might try that...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:11 AM

I wrote earlier about Murray Hill East and see that a couple of others have also recommended/mentioned it. Be advised that they do NOT have a website but don't let that deter you...I would rate it higher than a 2 star and I think the only reason it got that was because it doesn't have a restaurant. They were formerly apartments which is why the rooms are larger than most hotel suites you would find.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
sks

runnerjeff's suggestion of Mayflower is good, but I heard they have turned into condos now (along with Olcott and Empire..). Milburn is a good alternative, though their prices have gone up.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone...very helpful suggestions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -