Where to stay in NYC

Search

Where to stay in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in NYC

I know this is more about your budget, but still wonder where most tourists stay in NYC? Manhattan? Certainly, most places we want to visit are in Manhattan.

Also, we plan 7 days "in" NYC, but it includes a 3 days trip to Niagara Fall. The question is after we checked out the hotel and leave NYC for the trip, will the hotel allow us to leave our luggage there until we come back 3 days later? What if we do plan to re-check in the same hotel after we return?
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I had a quick look on expedia, there is literally nothing below US$200/night for Broadway- Time square.

I am sure there are some good and more affordable places for tourists who want to visit Manhattan.

Friends, could you share your experience and give any advices?

Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 03:29 PM

Yes, most people stay in Manhattan - since this is the real city. You walk out the door of the hotel and there are things to see/do and there is easy access by foot or subway to get to all of the major sites. That is assuming that you are willing to pay for it. Much better access to restaurants and cut neighborhoods and no long treks back to a hotel at night after dinner or a show.

To determine price options we need to know exactly when you will be in the city (prices can double in high season) and how many people you have (for 5 or more you will need a suite based on fir laws). Also what are your hotel expectations. The people that I have seen complaining about hotels in NYC are usually being unrealistic based on the price they are paying.

If you are returning, yes the hotel should be willing to store your luggage in their storage room for a fee.

But why take 3 days for Niagara Falls? Much better to fly up in the am, see the falls, stay one night and fly back the next. Assume you will have passports or multi-entrance visas since much of what you want to see s on the Canadian side. (IMHO it's pretty, but just a lot of falling water - and I didn't see it until we drove to Toronto for a week. Cute, but not that much.)
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 03:33 PM

When will you be coming?

Average hotel in Manhattan is about $260 per night for a couple in a pleasant - but moderate - hotel. In high season $200 is a bargain. Often the least expensive hotel is the Jane - but some rooms have shared baths and they are minute.

The Newton is a reliable budget hotel on the upper west side (great area and right on top of the subway) - so you might look to see what they have.

You can search the various discount sights - but how many are you, when are you coming and what do you want to spend?
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Always
Are you from Oz?
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 04:00 PM

We just returned from a week in NYC - stayed at the Affinia Dumont in Murray Hill. It's not quite as low budget-wise as you are looking for, but they have some family suites, if you will be needing to have more then four people in a room.

The hotel is a converted apartment building, and the really large rooms include a full kitchen - just being able to have breakfast in the room each day will save you some money. You could, of course, prepare more meals, but the restaurants in Manhattan are so amazing, you may not want to do that.

We were very happy with the Dumont - they have a free wine "happy hour" every afternoon in the lobby. A nice way to start your evening and meet other hotel guests, if you like.

Convenient to the subway (two blocks away)- and it's mid-town, so never a really long ride to get anywhere.

I also agree with those who suggest you not spend so much time in Niagara Falls - you will find that there is so much to see and do in NYC, a week is not even close to enough time. Can't imagine traveling to NF for three of your precious days.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 06:45 PM

There are some decent budget places in Long Island City on the subway line into Manhattan.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 07:18 PM

Check Travelzoo...I've gotten some emailed deals for NYC over the past few weeks.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

@IMDonehere
yes, our aussie dollar......
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys and girls. I was in a hurry to post the op and missed lots of information for you to help me.

we will travel as a young couple (no kid).

as our currency value has dropped significantly, out budge is ideally below US150/night (US$200/night maximum).

With the limited budget, we are only after some places that are clean and comfortable, and very importantly should be in a secure suburb. The last thing we want is to get robbed or something even worse.

We are not picky at food, so the hotel is not necessarily near many good restaurants or bars.

We certainly will take public transport. We are also fit to walk.

We will take a 3-days coach tour which will take us to see quite a few places and things. (yep, we dont mind "wasting" hours on the bus). So i think we only need to book 4 nights in NYC.

After having a look at expedia, now i know there are quite a few suburbs in Manhattan island. I am sure our budget is not enough to book a decent hotel in places like time square, etc. However, what about other suburbs, such as west side, east side, hell's kitchen (what a name! actually i am watching Daredevil these two days , greenwich village, ANY suburbs you name it. Are they all good? I mean if there are particular areas i should stay away (eg. Kingscross in Sydney at night)

Thank you soooo much!
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 03:39 AM

"However, what about other suburbs, such as west side, east side, hell's kitchen, greenwich village, ANY suburbs you name it. Are they all good?"

The places you name are NOT suburbs, but neighborhoods on Manhattan Island. You will probably have to look in an outer borough (such as Long Island City in Queens) to find the lower rates you seek.

The time of year also influences prices. When is your visit?
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 03:41 AM

The places you mention are not suburbs...they are part of Manhattan. Times Square is not the ideal location. It is crowded and isn't ideal for visitors.

The main thing should consider is how near a subway the hotel is. Also look in Long Island City in Queens. (not Long Island)
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 04:28 AM

Long Island City sounds like it might be right for you. It's just a short subway ride into Manhattan, and there's a ferry.

Some travelers look down on LIC because it's not "in the city." But for convenience and budget travel, it's OK. I'm only familiar with it because friends of ours used to live in a high-rise condo there (great view of the city), and we visited a few times.

The only caveat is that you need to do some research on hotels there. Some are great; some not so great. And you'll want to be reasonably close to the subway station.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 04:38 AM

Always

It seems that Aussies, more than any other group, want to see Niagara Falls. As noted above, it is OK, but it is the most interesting thing in NY State.

BTW, we love Aussies and Kiwis.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 04:57 AM

New York City is made of 5 boroughs (counties) of which Manhattan is what most people think of as the city. It is partly business and partly residential but there are no "suburbs" in Manhattan. Suburbs are more like 45 minutes to an hour from Manhattan.

There are many different neighborhoods in Manhattan, but they are all definitely big city. The areas that are more residential - still means 20 story and above buildings interspersed on avenues with mid level (6 to 8/9 stories) and many side streets of brownstones (4 or 5 stories with one family per floor). Brownstones cost from $2/$3 million each and up - way up for more upscale neighborhoods (saw one on sale for $65 million recently). Brownstones usually have small backyards but the only house I know that has grounds all around it is Gracie Mansion - the residence of the Mayor.

As for safety - all tourist areas of Manhattan are safe. Just don;t walk down any dark alleys at 3 am after having drunk too much. NYC is the safest large city in the US. (And yes there are a few areas not safe but you won;t get near them as a tourist.)

And sorry but $150 per night is not really a price in Manhattan, esp if you are coming between now and Christmas. (Might work in Jan of Feb, but then it will be really cold.)

You can look at Long Island City - a mixed use area (some budget hotels/motels, some warehouses and auto body shops) that MAY have something at that price - but it depends on your DATES which you have not given us. This area is safe but not that pleasant and is about 10 minutes from the first subway stop in Manhattan. If you look in this area be sure the places is not more than a few blocks from the subway.

There are other areas in Queens with hotels but you do no want to stay in them. The hotels near the airports are about an hour from the city and transit to and fro is a PIA. And other areas like Jamaica are NOT places I would reco you stay.

Finally, a trip to Niagara Falls depends a lot on weather. Once you hit late October some of the sights start to shut for the season (Maid of the Mist trip stops 11/8) and this area is both cold and in the snow zone which starts about 100 miles north of NYC. Also if you are traveling then the trees have no leaves, grass is brown and crunchy, no flowers an daylight hours are quite short. I would not take a trip across NY state at that time.

Finally, what are your specific DATES - so people can give better advice?
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 05:04 AM

Also be aware that NY is much colder than Sydney. I checked and it showed an average high in winter of 64 degrees for Sydney - while in NYC the average high in winter is about 40 - and at night it may easily be in the 20s.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 05:37 AM

This is a tricky one. Staying in Manhattan is more practical for sure. But, like some of the other comments said...it can be crazy expensive! I did a quick check on the hotel site I usually use for travel and came up with this page, filtered in the lowest price bracket. http://search.offhotels.com/Hotels/S...e=expanded%3D0

The prices are not too bad and the places don't look too shabby. I always stay with friends when I go so I don't have a specific place to recommend. Maybe try Couchsurfing!
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 08:59 AM

The places listed above are all hostels - not hotels. You might check to see if they have any private rooms - not sure or if they are all dorms - and assume baths will all be shared.

I know Hosteling International on the upper west side is very well regarded and offers group tours, kitchen access and laundries. I believe the charge is about $60 per night per person for bed and locker in a shared dorm room.

Again, for us to help more we really need to know your dates.
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, all of you. Sorry, because the system fodors adopts, i cant easily reply to each of you.

anyway, we will land in NYC on 20/10 and stay there for about 7 days (actually 4 days, excluding the 3-day trip).

Currently, we have one hotel on our list (Seafarers & International House), but it is more like a benchmark.

I will definitely check out LIC.

@IMDonehere
You comment is amusing (in a good way). I will certainly tell my friends here
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM

I'm sorry but that guesthouse (probably the least expensive in the city) is fully booked for your dates. I believe it usually books out many weeks in advance.

Trying to reserve now for Oct 20th is VERY late for most hotels and it's likely a lot of places will already be full unless their prices are really high.

I strongly urge you to check out LIC and if you find a place in your budget book it TODAY - so you are not either completely shut out or have to pay much more than you want.

Country Inn & Suites, which is regarded as pleasant, looks like it has limited availability for $158 per night - not sure if this includes taxes which would add about 18%. I would jump on this right away if it is still available.

I don't see anything cheaper unless you are willing to stay far from the city (an hour, perhaps more late at night) in a neighborhood that is definitely not the safest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -