Where to stay in New Orleans?

Dec 11th, 1999, 09:55 AM
Jennifer

Where to stay in New Orleans?

I am planning on spending some time in New Orleans in early January. Is the French Quarter the place to stay? If so, what are some good hotels or B/B in the area?

Thanks.

Dec 11th, 1999, 10:55 AM
susan

There's a wide variety of places to stay in New Orleans. My current favorite is the Royal Sonesta in the French Quarter. And yes, the French Quarter is the place to stay.

Dec 11th, 1999, 04:18 PM
Meg

What type of hotel do you prefer? Big chain? Something right on Bourbon? Something big in the heart of the Quarter? Small B&B in quiet part of Quarter? There's something in all of these categories. Let me know what you have in mind, and I'll be happy to give you some input.

Dec 13th, 1999, 12:46 PM
Kat

Yes, you want to stay in the Quarter. And, the best (as well as most authentic) place to stay in the Quarter is Soniat House. It can't be beat. Better than superb.

Dec 13th, 1999, 03:18 PM
arjay

Another vote for Soniat House. It's pricey -- but worth it!

Dec 14th, 1999, 03:46 PM
Dot

We just came back from a five day vacation to New Orleans, Dec 6-10.I made reservations at the Maison Dupuy in the French Quarter (from here you can walk anywhere). It was a very gracious hotel. The hotel itself was very tastful-having only 20 rooms, a beautiful courtyard, 4-star dinning room and a wonderful room with leather furniture and bar to relax in after a long day being a tourist...I would highly recommend it. We paid $99 for a rm. w/ a king size bed. I got it thru 1800hotel.com - but I believe that I could have gotten the same rate directly from the hotel 1-800-535-9177. I hope that you will check this lovely hotel out. We would certainly stay there again.

Dec 14th, 1999, 03:48 PM
Dot

I just posted the above - the hotel had 200 rooms-not 20 (forgot a 0) - sorry.....

Dec 14th, 1999, 06:31 PM
JENNIFER

Thanks for everyone's input. We have reservations at Maison Dupuy for 1/5...I would have loved to stay at the Soniat House but it was out of our price range. We will be in NO for four days...I welcome suggestions for things to do. Jazz, food, outdoor activities are top on our list. Thanks.

Dec 14th, 1999, 08:51 PM
Mike

I too am going to NO in January. Can someone recommend an older charming hotel in the French Quarter that's in the $200 a night range for a decent sized room. I was looking at the Monteleone Hotel. I would love to hear suggestions.

Thanks

Mike

Dec 15th, 1999, 04:48 AM
Peter Field

The price of accommodation and quality is better in the garden district of New Orleans. Its a lot quieter at night too.
The tram runs into the centre every 5 -10 minutes until the early hours. 1 Dollar each way - less if you get a travel card.

There are two good agencies which help you get accommodation in New Orleans. Go to the New Orleans web site.

I used a Ms Shapiro.

I stayed at Maison Perrier , its a very well presented and furnished listed building which was formerly a bordello in the early part of the century. It is exquisit inside , the breakfasts are excellent .Price c. $160 a night per room.

Dec 16th, 1999, 11:00 AM
Meg

There are quiet places in the Quarter if that is where you would prefer to stay. Uptown is fine if that's where you want to be, but if you plan to spend most of your time in the Quarter, I recommend that you stay in the Quarter. The "trams", or streetcars as we call them here, do run regularly, but I would advise against taking them late at night. The fare is now $1.25 or $1.50. Try the Soniat House - I've only heard good things about it. (I live in the Quarter, so I've never stayed there.) Another place that I've recommended and gotten good feed back on is Lafitte Guest House on the lower end of Bourbon which is pretty quiet. If you want quiet, avoid any place near the heart of Bourbon Street (the 100 block through the 800 block or so) and the upper Quarter (closer to Canal). The lower Quarter (closer to Esplanade) is more of a residential area with no neon lights, a few quiet bars and some neighborhood restaurants. If you want to be right in the middle of things in a big hotel, try the Bourbon Orleans - just ask for a room away from the street if you want quiet. Hope you have a good trip.

Jan 18th, 2000, 07:58 AM
lisa

DO NOT STAY AT THE OLIVIER HOUSE HOTEL @ 828 Toulouse in New Orleans. I returned yesterday from a trip to New Orleans and chose this hotel from the Fedor's guide which I have come to rely upon when I travel and have not been disapointed untill now. For the rate of $140.00 we were given a room that was a filthy as the carpet that lead to the room. The hardwood floors were coated with dirt and grime, the area rug was the color peach but was dirty with huge stains, the bedspreads had paint splatters on them, the sheets were not only mismatched (yellow top sheet, pink bottom sheet and brown pillowcases) but they were so worn and barren that you could see the stripes on the pillows though the material. There was also a large hole in the room by a chair that we chose to cover with a magazine and trash basket for fear of what would crawl of there! Our "deluxe" room also consisted of a balcony overlooking the quarter that was caked with pigon feces, rotting wood, and unsecured railing and broken window shutters. We found another hotel and checked out and the management insisted that he would still charge us for the room because the hotel has been sold out. My only hope is that my credit card company will support me and somehow I won't be billed for a room that I didn't stay in as well as one that I wouldn't stay in. I'd rather eat glass than sleep in that bed with God only knows what else. P.S. We ended up spending the night at The Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street and find the room very nice and very clean. The room rate diffrence was $30.00.

Jan 18th, 2000, 01:16 PM
John

The previous poster's experience at the Olivier House definitely sounds less than spectacular. Hopefully the credit card company will back her up on this one. As an innkeeper, I can't imagine offering someone a room in that condition at that price.