Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Loew's L'Enfant Hotel: Should I stay or should I go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 03:36 PM
John

My wife and I are going to visit D.C. on April 20-24. We are currently scheduled to stay at Loews during the visit. I have read past messages concerning this hotel and am still undecided whether to stay there. Any feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 05:39 PM
emily

I stayed there 3 yrs ago. I thought it was very good. We enjoyed the roof top pool, the metro in the "basement," the spacious rooms. It is somewehat antiseptic but on the upscale side. The hotel restaurant was decent & the staff fine. Its close to the mall; I'd stay there again.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 06:13 PM
Jim

The Metro's basement location is the saving grace, as the L'Enfant Plaza area is DEAD at night, except for panhandlers. I prefer Dupont Circle's panhandlers...at least the area is busy at night. Overall, though, the Loews is a nice antiseptic hotel, just as a previous post mentioned.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 06:53 PM
larry

stay in dupont. you feel better going back to the hotel at night. also, nothing to eat near Lowes. Just about any other location would have more character.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 05:42 AM
pc

I stayed at the Loews in DC last year on a business trip and had a very nice experience. It was convenient to the mall area and the rooms were very comfortable. Not sure how it would be for a pleasure trip, but the area seemed ok to me.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Laurie

Several of the employees at my company, including the big wigs stay at that hotel and have never had any complaints. They travel to DC quite often and request it. So, while I haven't been there myself, I think it's safe to assume that it's a fine hotel.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 05:22 PM
TxTraveler

My husband, teenage daughter, and I stayed there on a special weekend rate during a spring break trip to Washington. Our room was nicely furnished and had a mini refrigerator. The metro station under the hotel was VERY convenient. We also walked to the Smithsonian museums and felt perfectly safe. We also walked at night to a seafood restaurant a couple of blocks away on the river (can't remember the name of the restaurant). The shopping mall under the hotel was good for inexpensive breakfasts (open on Sat. morning but not Sun. morning)If you are going to be spending most of your time sightseeing and plan on eating most of your meals away from your hotel I would stay there because of the convenience of the metro station.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 08:03 PM
Teresa

We stayed at the Washington Loews this summer and loved it. Our room was in no way "antiseptic" and the beds were actually comfortable. Make sure to apply for a Loews First card ahead of time--you'll get a few added amenities for your trouble like a bottle of wine, fresh fruit or milk and cookies delivered to your room after arrival. With the Metro virtually at your feet, the possibilities for dining are limitless so I wouldn't worry about the lack of restaurants in the area. My husband and I like the Loews chain and try to stay there whenever possible--they haven't let us down yet.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 01:27 PM
Amy

Bottom line is stay at Loew's L'Enfant if you want super convenience to metro/Smithsonians/the "mall" area/Capitol/Washingotn Monument/Holocaust Museum. Do not stay there if you want to be in the georgeotown/dupont circle setting which has all the cute, nice restaurants/bars and shopping.