Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Manhattan for fun & entertainment!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there,

I am going to NYC at the end of August with my sister and father; my sister is 22 and I am 19. I am looking for a bit of help in terms of where to stay -- we feel it would be best to stay around the midtown area since that seems to be where most of the attractions are; however, this being my first trip to NYC I'm not familiar with Manhattan at all and am unsure of where the best location is!Is Midtown a good place to stay? I've heard other travellers say that being close to Times Square, etc. is good because all the attractions are close by, but I've also heard the opposite -- that it isn't all that important to stay around there since you can get pretty much anywhere by subway / public transportation.
Being too close to the sites (i.e. walking distance) is not THAT important, as we plan on taking taxis & the subway anyway. I'm more concerned with staying in an area that is nice and has stuff to do (especially in the evenings) -- I don't want to stay anywhere that is too dead or quiet (such as more residential areas...). Somewhere close enough to the attractions, but that is lively and closeby to things that will keep us entertained in the evenings is key.

Can anybody tell me the best area and/or hotel to stay at? Below is a list of potential hotels that I've looked into.. any insight is appreciated!

We're staying five nights, from the 25-30

Murray Hill East Suites $215. 83/night

Helmsley Middletowne Hotel $232.67/night

Doubletree Metropolitan $239.83/night

Shelburne Murray Hill $243.51/night

Park Central NY Hotel $213.88/night

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square $226.51/night

Hotel Metro $256.71/night

Travel Inn Hotel $241.52/night

I am personally leaning towards the Hilton, as it is a reasonable price and seems to be in a decent location, and has gotten good reviews. Can anybody comment?

Also, I'm wondering whether being 19 and underage will be a big deal -- are there a lot of places that will flat out deny entry to someone under 21, or will most places let you in provided you don't drink? (I'll be with my father, and I look older than I am -- does this make a difference? )

Lastly, any little good advice about places to go / things to see, especially for people our age, is greatly appreciated.

Finally finally, has anyone ever tried getting standby tickets to live shows like Letterman, SNL, Jon Stewart, etc.? I've heard they're hard to get, and don't want to waste my time standing in line for nothing!

Thanks very much!!

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM

What specifically are you interested in doing? What do you like? There are attractions all over. Times Square is close to Broadway, but there are plenty of other things to see in NYC.

I would choose Midtown over Times Square, but you might also think about staying somewhere closer to NYU, because the bars, clubs, shops, etc. in that area might appeal more to you and your sister.

I hope you'll reconsider as far as not walking places goes. I think the very best way to learn about a city is to walk around it, and this is certainly true about NYC.

NY state law says that a parent or guardian can provide alcohol for a minor. I interpret that as meaning that if your dad buys you a drink, then it's okay for you to drink it.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM
dmlove

More than once (both times in April, however), we've been offered tickets for David Letterman while walking down the street (once near the TKTS booth, and once nearby). As I recall, even if you have tickets, you have to arrive early to actually get in. Usually, these tickets are available because they've decided to tape an extra show (so Dave can take a long weekend or vacation) and they haven't previously distributed tickets for the extra show (and therefore, they need to find an audience).

My kids tried to get tix for SNL last summer. They showed up at NBC at 7 a.m. on a Saturday only to find that the show was on summer hiatus, so check that before you go.

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM

There are plenty of bars and clubs that will let you in under 21 - as long as you don't drink. Although the law says a parent can allow a minor to drink many bars will not allow it - since they don;t want any risks with their license.

In a restaurant they are less likely to refuse if you have wine with dinner.

If you're talking about bars for mixed age groups you should be fine - but I don;t think your father will want to go to many of the clubs (nor would he be given entrance to the trendy ones - which are either for well-known people on "the list" or for very attractive and trendily dressed young people.

Suggest you have a look at Time Out New York and New York Magazine to find places that would be appropriate for 2 generations.

If you and you sister want to try for one of the trendy clubs, your best chance of getting in is to be there early (before 11pm), be very trendily dressed and be charming to the doormen. Two pretty young girls have a decent chance of getting in. Just be aware that drinks are expensive, you can get a table only if you buy bottles - at $250 plus - and Friday and Saturday are off nights. Thurs and Sun nights are best. But - in August , much of the scene has moved to the Hamptons on any night.

One nice place for a drink for anybody is the roof bar of the Ritz Carlton Battery Park City - which has great views of the harbor.

As to where to stay I vote against Times Square. It's not near much except the theaters (it's really a business district with lots of massive office buildings) but on the ground floors it's frantically mobbed, loud, garish - full of tacky tee shirt shops and overpriced chain restaurants. Other areas of midtown are much more pleasant. What's important is easy access to the subway, which you'll need to get around the city - since major sights are spread over a distance of 8 miles plus islands in the harbor.

As for particular hotel - I would go with whichever gives you the largest room - for 3 a suite would be ideal - if it's a real suite.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
dmlove

Although the law says a parent can allow a minor to drink many bars will not allow it - since they don;t want any risks with their license.

In a restaurant they are less likely to refuse if you have wine with dinner.

Sorry, but both of you are incorrect in your interpretation of the law. The law that allows a parent to permit a child under 21 to drink does not apply to drinking in licensed establishments (restaurants, bars, liquor stores, etc.). If caught, they will be cited and/or lose their license if a person under 21 is served an alcoholic beverage, whether or not their parent is present.

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Guys, the OP asked about admission to clubs for underage people "provided you DON'T drink". So thanks for all the legal hair-splitting, legal eagles, but that's enough now.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
dmlove

NewbE, you're absolutely right, so back to the other questions!

jlai, we've stayed in Times Square many a time and actually like it. It may be "touristy", but it's always alive with activity. We like the fact that you can go out at midnight and there's still a ton of people around. It's just my urban nature, I guess. However, for me, the most important thing is being near a subway station. We stayed at the Courtyard Midtown East last year and it was in a great location - 3rd Ave. between 52nd and 53rd, I think (maybe 51st and 52nd), with a subway at the corner. So if you couldn't walk there (wherever), you could easily take the subway.

Have you tried getting tickets for any of the shows you mentioned before you go (on-line)?

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:58 AM
TC

We usually stay in the Times Sq area. I agree, its always lively. Also, it has the best central location for subway access. Taxis are a real pain in NY. You mostly sit in traffic while the meter ticks away. Take the subway. Have you thought about some place like the DoubleTree at Times Square which would offer you a bit more space for three people?

Try to have a drink (soft in your case) at the Ava Lounge on top of The Dream Hotel. Its spectacular, not too expensive, and always filled with hip people.

http://www.dreamny.com/
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Avoid Times Square if you can. Invariably, when visitors say New York is crowded & dirty, they stayed in Times Square.

At your ages, I think you'd enjoy staying downtown, in the Village, SoHo, or Lower East Side. I live here, so I'm not good on hotels, but I'm sure you can find options on the internet.

If you must stay in midtown, I suggest east of 6th Avenue.

Enjoy NYC!

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Since you specifically asked about the Hilton Garden Inn, I'd say that yes, it is a great location for what you say. While it is close to Times Square and on a busy street (8th Avenue), you can also go just one block to 9th Avenue for about 100 nice, young crowd -- locals, mainly, and various ethnic restaurants and lively bars. No one says you have to even walk through Times Square from there if you don't want to.

While I've not been inside, I've seen posts that say it was totally redone a couple years ago when Hilton took over from the previous Days Inn, and I seem to see generally very positive reviews -- especially for the price category and location.

By the way, rarely do I ever hear complaints from tourists who stayed in the Times Square or midtown areas that it was dirty and crowded. 99% of such comments about the area seem to come from NYC locals who don't understand its attraction to those of us who don't have anything that bright, big, and exciting at home. On the other hand, if your goal in going to NYC is to avoid crowds and glitz, and visit a nice peaceful or trendy more residential area, then by all means stay away from Times Square.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Having stayed in midtown several times now, I think I'm ready to stay in a different neighborhood next visit, but for a first-time visitor I think it's an ideal location. You'll be able to walk to Central Park, Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral. Time Square, Broadway theaters. Trendier neighborhoods farther south are definitely worth a visit, but as a base, IMO, are too far away from a lot of the things first-timers would want to see. You'll be taking cabs and the subway no matter where you stay.

Sorry, can't help with those hotels--good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM

As long as you're near a subway you'll be fine. There are very few residential areas with nothing else happening period. Most residential areas also have restaurants, bars, movie theaters within a block or 2 to service the people who live there. But areas like that with a hotel would be few and far between.

I'd pick the hotel rather than the area unless you were considering being downtown which is younger and a bit less touristy. But for a first time visit, midtown is very convenient. Of the hotels on your list, I'd pick the Shelburne Murray Hill hands down. It's a suite hotel (part of the www.affinia.com group), very nice and conveniently located. As a party of 3 you'll have the most space there plus a kitchen. You could get a room with 2 beds and a sofabed there so you don't have to share. At any regular hotel you'll have 2 beds at most. The Hilton Garden Inn is fine, esp. if you can get a room with 2 queen beds. Otherwise you and sis are going to be cozy in a double bed.

The Murray Hill east suites is the only other suite hotel that would also offer more room and a kitchen but it's not as nice (also not as expensive). I'd check to see what the prices are at the other Affinia.com hotels to compare.

As a 19 yr old you can go anywhere except a club who makes their money from the sale of booze.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 01:28 PM
dmlove

mclaurie, just wondering - do you know if the Shelburne Murray Hill has been remodeled any time recently? We stayed there years ago (could be 15 years) and it was showing its age then, although the size of the rooms, and having a kitchen and dining room could not be beat (so if it has been remodeled, it would be a steal).

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM
GoTravel

I'll second mclauries endorsement of the Shelburne Murray Hill.

Of all the hotels on the list, it is the best hotel (nice boutique) in the best Midtown location.

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
dmlove

So, GT, I ask you the same question - when was it last remodeled?

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

hey guys, thank you all for the awesome input.
I think we will most likely be staying around Times Square -ish area... being from Toronto, I'm used to (and quite enjoy) the "dirty" and noisy city life... so anywhere that is lively is what i'm looking for.
We don't care so much about the hotel itself -- as long as it has somewhere to sleep and shower, I'm good. I've stayed in very small rooms (Paris, anyone?) and am not too picky -- I don't plan on spending much time inside, anyway! I want the Hilton and my sister is leaning towards the Shelburne Murray Hill, so we'll have to duke it out. (is the Shelburne worth the extra money?)

A couple people mentioned some good places to go in the evenings... any other suggestions on where two young'ns and their not-as-young dad could go that would be comfortable for both age groups? We obviously don't want to ditch our dad, but need some sort of activity to do at night since dinner can only stretch on for so long before you gotta leave and move on to something else!

thanks again!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I just got back from NYC-spending a week there working a convention for 4 days and vacationing for 3 days.

Since you are traveling with your Dad and sister, it would be nice to have a suite so there is more room for all of you. And the Shelburne Murray Hill gets good reviews although people do say it needs a renovation. I personally though like locations no further east than 6th. It just seems like there is more action later at night on Broadway, 8th and 9th. I stayed at the New York Hilton on 6th for my convention and 6th closed down pretty early compared to 8th, etc. Usually I stay at the Belvedere on 48th and 8th right around the corner from the Hilton Garden Inn and like the location. However, the reviews of the Hilton Garden Inn do say the rooms are small so keep that in mind.

As for those that talk about not staying in Times Square, as NeoPatrick points out, you can be in the area and avoid the crowds. I will admit that I hate walking on Broadway-it's crowded and can be dirty. But I love the area especially 8th and 9th Streets. And if you are up late at night, you can always find things open in the Times Square area.

Don't really know places good for your age group plus Dad but I will ask one of my daughter's friends (23) who lives in the Village if she has any recommendations.

You and your sister (and Dad) would probably love the Village, Soho, Chelsea. This is really becoming my favorite part of town but there aren't too many hotels there and the ones that are run more money. But you definitely want to spend some time there. Lots of young people, not as crowded, cute streets. Spend some time around Union Square and around NYU.

Unless you are really late, late night people, you will probably be busy with activities until it gets dark and then having dinner late. One evening my co-worker and I went to Central Park in the late afternoon, had a drink at the Boat House and just walked around until it was getting dark and then had dinner around 9pm. Another evening went to Little Italy for dinner and then walked around the streets until it was pretty late.

Don't know if you are planning on seeing any shows but that would definitely fill some evenings. I saw Spring Awakening on Monday (this week). I loved it and it's a show that you and your sister would like. However, I do need to tell you it's about the sexual awakening of teenagers and there is some explicit scenes. So it might be embarrassing to go with your Dad but if not, it's worth seeing. Hairspray and Mama Mia would be good for all three of you. Didn't get to see Legally Blonde-your Dad might be bored but you and your sister would like it.

You must be excited about NYC. There is just no place like it. I am glad to be home but miss it already.

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM

I don't know when the hotel was last renovated by they would be happy to tell you. I also think it's worth checking their other hotels.

The village, Soho, Chelsea, the lower east side all have restaurants, clubs etc. that would be fine for all of you. If you really want some night life, those areas would be better places to stay imo. Since you seem more interested in staying near night time entertainment than daytime sightseeing, why not stay downtown? The Washingtonsquarehotel.com would be a good option if you don't need some place fancy.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Even though I live in NYC, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn about a year ago as part of a "girls weekend". There were four or five of us in a room with two double beds: it was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Good shower. We didn't need anything else since we spent most of the time not in the room! I would definitely recommend this hotel for the price - which is something I can't say about the Doubletree Times Square (yuck!).

As far as its location, the Hilton Garden Inn is:
- at the same intersection as the 50th Street C/E station (which will take you down to the Village and SoHo among other places), and only one or two blocks from the 1, R, N and more.
- on the edge of both Times Square and Hells Kitchen, the latter of which as has been mentioned has a number of good places to eat and drink (look for reviews of places on 9th Ave in the upper 40's and lower 50's).
- a few blocks south of the southeast corner of Central Park (and also the relatively new Time Warner Center).
- the hotel restaurant, Pigalle, is a pretty decent French bistro open 24 hours a day.

As far as being carded at a bar, that is much more likely to happen in the area around NYU - since of course they're dealing with a lot of undergrads! Other places are hit or miss: if you're low-key about it, not ordering high octane cocktails etc., you'll likely be okay. Of course if there's a bouncer at the door, all bets are off!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Mclaurie-Someone mentioned in a tripadvisor review of the Shelburne Murray Hill that they were going to start renovations this Aug. So sounds like they are starting to do updates. I would definitely call to see if they are doing work on the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -